Author Topic: 69 Disc brake dust/rotor shield finish  (Read 1436 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

69 Disc brake dust/rotor shield finish
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
On my 69 Cyclone(which shares suspension parts) what is the correct finish of the dust shield? After pulling off the cork gasket on back side it seems that they are bare steel. Also they are not vented but the repos are, are the vented later year?
Chris
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:51:37 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Disc brake dust/rotor shield finish
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
On my 69 Cyclone(which shares suspension parts) what is the correct finish of the dust shield? After pulling off the cork gasket on back side it seems that they are bare steel. Also they are not vented but the repos are, are the vented later year?
Chris
The shields many times come in the old kit a galvanized look I have also seen them a zinc silver look and that is what most restorers do.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:51:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

Re: Disc brake dust shield finish
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
The shields many times come in the old kit a galvanized look I have also seen them a zinc silver look and that is what most restorers do.

Bob I think he is referring to the router shields not the caliper shields.  On the C8 router shields I have seen bare metal and semi gloss black.
I am not sure of what finishes were used on the 69 vented style.   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »
Bob I think he is referring to the router shields not the caliper shields.  On the C8 router shields I have seen bare metal and semi gloss black.
I am not sure of what finishes were used on the 69 vented style.
My mistake thinking caliper shield . thanks for the catch. As mentioned 68 Mustang rotor splash shields were bare steel typically early and consistently semigloss black later . 69 were typically painted semigloss black
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:52:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
As mentioned 68 Mustang rotor splash shields were bare steel typically early and consistently semigloss black later . 69 were typically painted semigloss black

+1 on the 69 being semi-gloss

Believe the finish varies in 68 (though not the subject of this thread) depending on plant. Always seen San Jose in Semi-gloss black

Earlier thread discussing 69 "Dust Shields"  just in case others run across this thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14920.msg93047#msg93047
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)