Author Topic: Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?  (Read 7114 times)

Offline Morsel

Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
Hey all, wondering if anyone knows where to get a J-Hook that works with a steel style wheel spare. The normal hold down J-Hook bolt isn't long enough and need one that's longer to complete my trunk. I got one from AMK that seemed long enough, but the thread sizes was to narrow and didn't fit my spare tire nut, it was too loose.

Also, if anyone has an original, that would be cool too, cool always get it re-plated

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline rrenz

Re: Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
Just replaced mine as a kit. Im not familiar of there being a longer size. I do know that if you don't have the tire placed just right in the trunk the hook won't fit correctly. This is a picture of mine installed. There is still a good amount of thread left above the nut. Unless you have wheels with a different backspacing other than stock it should fit. Im mostly familiar with 64-66. Posting year of your car may help others..
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:14:17 PM by rrenz »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Just replaced mine as a kit. Im not familiar of there being a longer size. I do know that if you don't have the tire placed just right in the trunk the hook won't fit correctly. This is a picture of mine installed. There is still a good amount of thread left above the nut. Unless you have wheels with a different backspacing other than stock it should fit. Im mostly familiar with 64-66. Posting year of your car may help others..

Yes, the steel styled wheel spare requires a longer J-Hook, the rim in your photo is a regular spare tire rim, which the center is about 3 to 4 inches lower than the steel style wheel rim once placed in the trunk in the proper spot directly above the j-hook bracket, especially in a fastback where the spare tire has to be in a specific location based on the trap door kick stand. See attached photo for reference...

Thanks for replying though,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »
Jason, could the wing nut be a 68 and later which used a larger thread size? Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »
Jason, could the wing nut be a 68 and later which used a larger thread size? Paul

I thought that at first as well, but the J-Hook I got from AMK was very thin (it's 5/16-18 x 9 1/2 - See screen shot) The chart I attached as well shows the real thread size and length which for 66 is 3/8-18 x 9 1/2. The wing nut I have looks original and also fits the standard "scott drake" one I got for 65-67 J-Hook... it also fits my original J-Hook as well, so I'm at a loss... I'm wondering what other people have used that have a steel styled wheel as a spare?

Virginia Classic Mustang used to carry the specific one, but they're on backorder or something... http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-STYLED-STEEL-WHEEL-SPARE-MOUNTING-BOLT-9-12-P4630.aspx

Anyway, if anyone one else has info, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:51:09 PM »
Try Texas Mustang Parts http://texasmustang.com/ . I bought a couple of Style Steel Wheel J-Bolts from them about 15 years ago. They have one listed on their website, but without part (stock) number or dimensions. The ones I got were under stock number - C5RR-1448-D.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
I thought that at first as well, but the J-Hook I got from AMK was very thin (it's 5/16-18 x 9 1/2 - See screen shot) The chart I attached as well shows the real thread size and length which for 66 is 3/8-18 x 9 1/2. The wing nut I have looks original and also fits the standard "scott drake" one I got for 65-67 J-Hook... it also fits my original J-Hook as well, so I'm at a loss... I'm wondering what other people have used that have a steel styled wheel as a spare?

Virginia Classic Mustang used to carry the specific one, but they're on backorder or something... http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-STYLED-STEEL-WHEEL-SPARE-MOUNTING-BOLT-9-12-P4630.aspx

Anyway, if anyone one else has info, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

As your chart shows, the original size is 3/8-18, so that 5/16 one is too small.  We had the longer one for the style steel wheel for years. When we recently re-ordered them, the supplier had discontinued them. We are hoping to find another supplier.

BTW, the one for the '68 and up model is 7/16.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
This got me curious.  Why bother to change this rod for 1/2"?  When you look at the MPC page shown above you can see that the Ford listings are a little weird.  65 shows two listings but no explanation of where to use either.  The 66 shows standard versus styled steel.  Back to the 65 listing the second part C6OZ is a replacement part. 
So what did it replace?  I reached out to a friend who has older parts books than I do.  The 65 model year parts book does not have any listings for Mustang.  The 66 book has the following info...
** Warning - His books are not close by so I cannot post images of them **.  Replacement numbers per the OSI vol 3-5 Jan 1996 fiche.

66 standard wheel:
C6ZZ-1448-A, 3/8"-16 x 9 1/16", 2 1/2" thread.  This was replaced with the
C4SZ-1448-B, Dimensions not yet found.  This was then replaced with the
C6OZ-1448-A, 3/8"-16 x 9", 3 1/4" thread

66 Styled steel wheel:
C6ZZ-1448-B, 3/8"-16 x 10 9/16", 2 1/2" thread.  This was replaced with the
C5AZ-1448-D, 3/8"-16 x 9 1/2", 2 1/2" thread.

I cannot remember ever seeing a 10 9/16" long bolt in a 66.  Anyone have an original?
I have a line on a 9 1/4 long bolt but the thread length is 3 3/4".

Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
I notice that two different Mustang items suppliers are commenting on this J-Bolt. Thanks guys. And if I may, could you both work together to develop a source for it?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
For any input on a 67 Styled steel J-bolt, I can measure mine and photograph if needed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Scott302

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
I notice that two different Mustang items suppliers are commenting on this J-Bolt. Thanks guys. And if I may, could you both work together to develop a source for it?
Jim
Jim,
I have three sources right now that can make the bolt.  I'm sure Brant could come with as many.  The question is...What is correct?  Without proof or a consensus on what is the correct length for each application I'm not going to crank out 500 or 1000 pieces that might turn out to be wrong!  There is enough of that going on already.  I'll bet Brant feels the same.
What we do not know is when the part numbers were superseded.  It's possible that 10 9/16" bolt was designed but never used or only used for a short period.  I haven't measured the available space yet but that length seems pretty long for its purpose.  Without the Ford blueprints I'd need an original sample to work from.   

Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Morsel

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »
Not to add confusion to this already interesting mystery, but do you think the longer C6ZZ-1448-B (10 9/16 length) steel style wheel J-Hook could be because of fastback verses coup trunk. I've noticed that because of the Fastback kickstand on the trap door that it sort of either pushes the tire in towards more of the the center of the trunk out of line with the J-Hook bracket, or it sits up higher because it sits up on the bumper indentation on the rear inside of the trunk? I can't get my spare to sit down flat on the normal place and lineup with the bracket because of this.

It's just seems if it's really on a 1/2 inch longer than the standard J-Hook, that it's still not going to reach where mine is landing... oh, and my bracket has not moved, it's in the original location and is original.

Or am I just muddying the water more with this comment ;)

I'm thinking about purchasing this one they are offering at Texas Mustangs, when I get it I can take a measurement and see if it works for my application, cheap to try out at least... http://texasmustang.com/1965-1967-spare-tire-mounting-bolt-10582.html

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Brant

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
Thanks for the input, Scott. Honestly, I have probably always just gone by the MPC these past 35+ years, even when the only source for the bolts was Ford. 

The currently available 65-66 "standard" bolt is about 7 1/4" long. I don't know how it compares to an original assembly line piece, but it fits perfectly. I happen to have just installed one in a car.

Now the MPC always listed the 65-66 standard bolt as being the same as a '67 SS wheel bolt. Maybe someone can verify this.

The old NOS Ford part that I have here supposedly for a 65-66 SS wheel measures 9 5/8".  It's comparable to the reproduction that we did have, and I think it fits fine, but I haven't verified that lately.

I also just found some 9 1/2" ones that will be in here by the end of the week. I'll update the web site when they arrive.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 07:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the input, Scott. Honestly, I have probably always just gone by the MPC these past 35+ years, even when the only source for the bolts was Ford. 

The currently available 65-66 "standard" bolt is about 7 1/4" long. I don't know how it compares to an original assembly line piece, but it fits perfectly. I happen to have just installed one in a car.

Now the MPC always listed the 65-66 standard bolt as being the same as a '67 SS wheel bolt. Maybe someone can verify this.

The old NOS Ford part that I have here supposedly for a 65-66 SS wheel measures 9 5/8".  It's comparable to the reproduction that we did have, and I think it fits fine, but I haven't verified that lately.

I also just found some 9 1/2" ones that will be in here by the end of the week. I'll update the web site when they arrive.

This would be great, I'd love to purchase one from you when you get them and see if it works... have you installed them in any of you fastback and had any of the issues with the spare placement that I spoke about with the kickstand in the above message?

as always, thanks...

Jason

Offline Brant

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
This would be great, I'd love to purchase one from you when you get them and see if it works... have you installed them in any of you fastback and had any of the issues with the spare placement that I spoke about with the kickstand in the above message?

as always, thanks...

Jason

Jason,

Well, it's always a tight fit in a fastback, but usually a 6.95/14 tire will fit. I guess there could be an issue though depending on the brand of tire, since some reproduction brands seem to be taller than others.