Author Topic: Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Scott302

Re: Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
Got a call from Richard Porter this morning.  He is going to lend me his originals which measure exactly the same as the C6ZZ numbers I listed previously.  The interesting thing about the SS wheel version is that it is VERY close to a 69-70 Shelby space saver version we already have.  I've contacted that supplier for a quote on the revised version.

Brant: Yes the Drake C6OZ is short but works.  If you look at it's dimensions it puts it very close to the original 67 standard wheel bolt C7SZ-1448-A that was 7" OAL x 4" thread length. 

The 67 Styled steel wheel should use the C6OZ-1448-A at 9" OAL x 3 1/4" thread.  Can anyone confirm this from an original??

Now we should start another thread on the correct style of wing nut for 65-67.

Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Morsel

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
So my buddy who has a Mustang parts and restoration shop here in the bay area who basically holds onto everything he pulls out of cars sent me this photo of one he's pretty sure came out of 66 with a SS spare. It measures roughly 9 1/4 in length. I thought one way to determine if this is truly a 66 is not only by thread size, but by the actual wing nut. Or is this a 67?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
Two years ago I attended a judging seminar at Bob Perkins restorations in Juneau, WI. One of my purposes for going was to look over the low mileage 1965,66 and 67 unrestored Mustangs that were on display. I can say this, they all had the spare tire hold down wing nut where the ears came up and bent out 90 degrees. This doesn't mean that Ford didn't use something other than this. The B9AZ 1462-A indicates that Ford started using this wing nut in 1959. We had a spirited conversation about this topic some time ago and about that time someone posted a box of the wing nuts on E-BAY for sale with the above part # that looked just like what I've described.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
Two years ago I attended a judging seminar at Bob Perkins restorations in Juneau, WI. One of my purposes for going was to look over the low mileage 1965,66 and 67 unrestored Mustangs that were on display. I can say this, they all had the spare tire hold down wing nut where the ears came up and bent out 90 degrees. This doesn't mean that Ford didn't use something other than this. The B9AZ 1462-A indicates that Ford started using this wing nut in 1959. We had a spirited conversation about this topic some time ago and about that time someone posted a box of the wing nuts on E-BAY for sale with the above part # that looked just like what I've described.

Richard P. - So in you're opinion from looking at Perkins car, this wing nut would be the correct style(see attached image)?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
Attached is what I currently have on my "K" Fastback. The J-Bolt is 3/8-16X9 1/8 overall, 3 5/8 thread length. The plate is the correct one for a Style Steel Wheel, C5ZB-1424-A, 4 inch dia.
Well, it's always a tight fit in a fastback, but usually a 6.95/14 tire will fit. I guess there could be an issue though depending on the brand of tire, since some reproduction brands seem to be taller than others.
My spare is the original Dual Red Line "Super Safety 800 XP" identified by the smooth edge to the tread, not scalloped. It is mounded on a factory Style Steel Wheel and has never been on the ground. The J-Bolt, the one pictured, is adequate - it works. I think it was purchased about 15 years ago. And yes, the fit is tight.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »
Richard P. - So in you're opinion from looking at Perkins car, this wing nut would be the correct style(see attached image)?
I get used spare tire wing nut from junked cars, mostly San Jose, and replate them. They don't have the exaggerated downward tips on the ends of the wings. They look like the wing nut in post 16.
Jim
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:53:13 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »
I found anther bolt and it appears to have some differences in the manufacturing process. Notice the tooling mark on the sharp bend, the
different angles and finish.
Just for reference, I believe that these are C6OZ-1448-A, the service replacements.
Jim

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
Jason the wing nut that you have pictured on reply # 18 is like what I saw at Bob Perkins. The color is also correct. It's not a shiny almost chrome or bright zinc. It's also what I've found on the many cars that I've inspected.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
Attached is what I currently have on my "K" Fastback. The J-Bolt is 3/8-16X9 1/8 overall, 3 5/8 thread length. The plate is the correct one for a Style Steel Wheel, C5ZB-1424-A, 4 inch dia. My spare is the original Dual Red Line "Super Safety 800 XP" identified by the smooth edge to the tread, not scalloped. It is mounded on a factory Style Steel Wheel and has never been on the ground. The J-Bolt, the one pictured, is adequate - it works. I think it was purchased about 15 years ago. And yes, the fit is tight.
Jim

Thanks,

Jason
Attached is what I currently have on my "K" Fastback. The J-Bolt is 3/8-16X9 1/8 overall, 3 5/8 thread length. The plate is the correct one for a Style Steel Wheel, C5ZB-1424-A, 4 inch dia. My spare is the original Dual Red Line "Super Safety 800 XP" identified by the smooth edge to the tread, not scalloped. It is mounded on a factory Style Steel Wheel and has never been on the ground. The J-Bolt, the one pictured, is adequate - it works. I think it was purchased about 15 years ago. And yes, the fit is tight.
Jim
[/quote
]
I maybe wrong but I thought the spare tire plate for a Mustang with style steel wheels was 3-1/16" in diameter with three alignment tabs that go inside the center hole. My book doesn't list any information about the style steel wheel plates for 1965/66 but does list Plate Spare Wheel mounting  part# C5ZZ 1424-A 4"O.D.-3 tabs. I don't think that the standard wheel plate will fit inside a style steel wheel. It is also my understanding that the original bias ply Dual Red Tires 695X14 were made by US Royal.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:35:50 PM by Richard P. »

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »
See my response above. I don't know how it ended up that way.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 08:43:33 PM »
OK, so digging further, I remembered about Bob Perkins 3800 mile 1966 K-Code automatic Fastback. I remembered there was a bunch of pictures in the article (http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1005-1966-ford-mustang-fastback/).

See attached picture of his trunk and spare tire with SS wheel. Notice the wing nut and j-hook. Now we know he did some work on this specific car, a sort of "refresh"... so I wonder if he replaced it or if that's original. To me it looks like the j-hook is pretty long sticking out from the wing nut, and notice the wing nut itself, it's more like the style of the additional attachment of the "NOS" wing nuts that I found a picture of.

Also for fun, notice he has the correct smaller plate for the SS wheel, but it's upside down, the tabs are supposed to point down into center hole of the spare aren't they?

So the question is, is this one of those parts he "refreshed" or is it original to a 66 car with a SS wheel spare...

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
When I saw this car the wing nut looked like the one pictured in reply #18. I'd like to see that wing nut turned a bit. I examined this car very close.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »
When I saw this car the wing nut looked like the one pictured in reply #18. I'd like to see that wing nut turned a bit. I examined this car very close.

Sounds like one of those "refresh parts" if you saw it and it had the duller finish one originally. Notice in the Perkins picture even though it's sideways the round end, it doesn't have that little tip pointing down like in that photo I posted... it's rounded and smooth... here's another angle on that one I originally posted that shows the tips...

J

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
- I remembered about Bob Perkins 3800 mile 1966 K-Code automatic Fastback.
See attached picture of his trunk and spare tire with SS wheel. Notice the wing nut and j-hook.
The wing nut and J-Bolt look to be cad plated.
Also for fun, notice he has the correct smaller plate for the SS wheel, but it's upside down, the tabs are supposed to point down into center hole of the spare aren't they?
That's the regular spare wheel plate upside down because its three "prongs" won't fit a Style Steel Wheel center. Some cars got a regular plate. Note the edge on the spare missing the scalloped transition from sidewall to tread.
Jim

Offline Scott302

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »
I have found at least 6 variations of the B9AZ-1462-A wing nut.
Image 1 shows a collection of NOS Ford wing nuts I have accumulated that I believe date to the 60's.
Image 2 from the collection 65 Dearborn 200 1700 miles
Image 3 from the collection 66 GT350 19800 miles
Image 4 from the collection 67 Dearborn 390 forgot how few miles it has.
Image 5 shows one of the NOS styles next to the current reproduction.
The current repro is a spitting image of the 68-up wing nut.  My current theory is that this that Ford introduced this style at the same time as the larger 68-up wing nut with the only difference being the threaded hole size. It would make the service part cheaper to make.
Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:45:50 AM by Scott302 »
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776