Author Topic: Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Richard P.

Re: Spare Tire hold down bolt - J-Hook?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »
The last one repo really jets up in the air at a 45 degree angle and the color is way different from the rest. This one is more akin to the 1968 Mustang except it normally has a 7/16 stud. I agree with you. The others wing nuts I could live with.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
Had to call my dad for this one.  This is a 1977 image of his '66 Metuchen convertible.  At that time the car was unrestored and very original with 24,000 miles. 
The third image is one I got from Mike Murray on his August 64 coupe.
Dispels the idea of the current repro nut with sharply angled wings being wrong.

Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:42:42 AM by Scott302 »
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
Thanks Scott for sharing your information.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
These are a couple of current pictures of my spare, the J-Bolt exposed end, the wing nut and spare. The spare is the original Uniroyal Dual Red Line wheel on the original Style Steel Wheel and has never been used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
These are a couple of current pictures of my spare, the J-Bolt exposed end, the wing nut and spare. The spare is the original Uniroyal Dual Red Line wheel on the original Style Steel Wheel and has never been used.
Jim
Could I ask you to pull the hook and photograph it next to a ruler?
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
Could I ask you to pull the hook and photograph it next to a ruler?
Scott,
As requested. Overall length - 9 1/8 inches; thread length - 3 5/8 inches.
Jim
About the pigtail?
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
Scott I'm going to send you a wing nut for comparison to Mike Murray's 1964 original wing nut pictured and the repo that's pictured. I did this comparison at home and there are distinct differences in the original verse the reproduction. Mike Murray's and the one I'm sending look alike based on what I see in the picture posted. Put the one I'm sending next to the reproduction compare and take measurements.  There is no need to return the one I'm sending because the 3/8" threads are stripped and it is not usable. I have another here that is exactly like what I'm sending that is usable. Ford may have used more than one wing nut from 1959 to 1967 but the reproductions that I've seen don't match up IMOP. I know that you're trying to get this correct.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »
For any input on a 67 Styled steel J-bolt, I can measure mine and photograph if needed.

This is what came in my SJ 67's trunk, holding down a styled steel wheel  when I bought the car in '78. I would say the car was in what we now call "survivor" condition. Everything pretty much was untouched in the day. It also had the correct jack and early lug wrench, I've always considered them original to the car and never replaced them.

Measurements are much the same as what Jim has pictures for his 66

Also Matches the measurements shown of the MPC listing for a 67 with Styled Steel Wheels. Interesting that the MPC calls it as the same J-bolt as a 66 with Standard wheels. C6OZ-1448-A
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:37:08 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Scott302

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 11:37:36 AM »
Good grief!  It seems like any vacuum cleaner salesman that showed up at Ford's door was allowed to provide spare tire hooks and nuts!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:05:51 PM by Scott302 »
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 12:28:22 PM »
God grief!  It seems like any vacuum cleaner salesman that showed up at Ford's door was allowed to provide spare tire hooks and nuts!!
It's the "American" way.
Actually, it's Ford engineering. No matter how hard upper management tried to standardize, Ford engineering found a way to evade that type of edict and designed and used what they wanted. It took the dealer service group to consolidate parts.
Jim

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »
God grief!  It seems like any vacuum cleaner salesman that showed up at Ford's door was allowed to provide spare tire hooks and nuts!!

Another discussion about scissors jacks mentions multiple providers for those. I wouldn't be surprised if the assemblyline looked at the "J" bolts & wingnuts the same way. (short, longer and longest in bin#1, bin#2 and bin#3), if one ran out, use the next one that worked till restocked) No rhyme or reason...Quality hasn't always been "Job-1"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments