Author Topic: 67 hood ID  (Read 4970 times)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
67 hood ID
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
Can any one help ID this hood as being correct. Early steel framed.  thanks, Chris

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 hood ID
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »
 I haven't commented before on the SAAC site because I can't quite put my finger on what I am seeing. At the very least it is a smallblock hood that someone tried to modify to fit a big block because of the incorrect way the opening was cut. But it appears it has been worked on by the fiberglass overlay technique and were it is positioned . very good workmanship. almost too good ??? It isn't very consistent to what I am used to seeing. I cringe at the amount of work that it might have took but I am beginning to think that it might be a original hood that someone has replaced the innerstructure on or at least rebonded a loose one. I am not used to seeing such perfectly smooth metal on the innerstructure metal. Must have taken a lot of work. It has a 68 latch which could have simply been replaced not knowing any better during restoration etc. Another explanation which is often case is that it was  replaced when damage occurred to the front of the hood as that style of latch wasn't serviced as a replacement part after 1967 which a repair would help explain the different build technique of the innerstructure and the incomplete factory notch in the air cleaner area if a innerstructure was replaced.    I am not as good as others on the forensic stuff. I will study it some more.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
Thanks Bob.  From my observations, it looks like just as you said, possibly an original that has come apart or was coming apart. The outer edge has more material than what i've seen before. The inner cut outs have been filled over with "chop" type fiberglass cloth much like the outer edges. The hood skin is of the "square" or "checker" type fiberglass.  I have seen this cut out for the BB oval breather on one other frame[more a squared cut out than a arched cut out]. I'm just trying to track down vin numbers/dates to see if possibly they could have been made at the same time??  The shame of it all is trying to put it back to an original look. BTW, the hood has alot of high build primers on the underside surface.   Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
Ok collected a handful of steel lined hoods - no conclusions - just sharing ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
Thanks Jeff,...that last pic looks like the car was running a small block chevy with hilborn set up and stacks [by the spacing of the holes].  Still hard to find consistancy in the cut outs for the oval air cleaner.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »
Thanks Jeff,...that last pic looks like the car was running a small block chevy with hilborn set up and stacks [by the spacing of the holes].  Still hard to find consistancy in the cut outs for the oval air cleaner.
The oval cut is the normal way it was to be done at the factory and is illustrated in the engineering drawings as that way. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »
Bob, any way to post the drawings or email a copy to me , thanks you guys.   Chris    fordcountry@look.ca
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:32:13 PM by thefordshow »