Author Topic: correct Tires for 1967 Mustang  (Read 5256 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: correct Tires for 1967 Mustang
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
Here's a tire usage chart that I created based upon the 1967 Mustang Pricing sheets.  I'm not sure who made the 185 R14 Radial tires, but I believe all of the other tires listed on the chart were Firestone brand tires...

Would have to disagree based on the original tires we've seen over the years. Like most or many parts Ford disliked using on source for anything believing issues with a single company would hold up (hold hostage) his companies production. That is why he made, purchased allot of unrelated companies and property, ........ to get around those potential issues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
I have a 1967 San Jose A code car just wondered what the correct available tire would be the Marti report states as Black wall would it be correct for a Firestone wide oval or a Goodyear Polyglas?
In your case, a 67 "A" code, a standard bias ply tire (735-14 or 695-14) was probably used, either Firestone or Goodyear, not wide oval or Polyglas. You are really limited by what's available, not by what Ford originally had choices of. One source today is Coker Tire https://www.cokertire.com/ I am not advocating them as a source (although I have bought from them in the past, they're good). See what is available based on their catalog. US Rubber was a minor supplier, mostly for Dual Red Line bias ply for your time period.
Like most or many parts Ford disliked using on source for anything believing issues with a single company would hold up (hold hostage) his companies production.
That's the real world, the Ford motor company's business practices.
Being you're in the UK, you have a shipping problem and probably a big tax/tariff/import fee to contend with, so I can appreciate you reluctance to buy without research.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
Would have to disagree based on the original tires we've seen over the years. Like most or many parts Ford disliked using on source for anything believing issues with a single company would hold up (hold hostage) his companies production. That is why he made, purchased allot of unrelated companies and property, ........ to get around those potential issues

I stand corrected - thanks Jeff!
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Rossco

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »
So are we all agreed that we cannot get the original black wall tires.

That the only option for me would be the Coker reproduction Firestone Wide ovals?

Ross

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
So are we all agreed that we cannot get the original black wall tires.

That the only option for me would be the Coker reproduction Firestone Wide ovals?

Would not put it that way You have options. A few thoughts and possibilities

- First the wide ovals may cause clearance problems. They did in 67 for the Mustang

-Is it better to have the "correct" supplier or the size if compromise is what you end up with?

Ideas for others to comment on and you to consider

1- U.S. Royal Tires | Redline - are available in 6.95 x 14. You would have to cover the red line and possible mount that side in So right size - wrong maker

2- BF Goodrich Bias Ply Tires | Blackwall are available in an optional factory size So optional size different maker

3- And as you mentioned you could use the optional white sidewall Firestone wide oval tire  So optional size and not a black wall like your came with. Might be able to use the smaller (stripe) red stripe wide oval and rotate that side inward after covering the red over. Goodrich or US Royal though both use the pie edges

Many years ago (read haven't tried this for a long time) you were able to get Firestone tires still out of New Zealand. Not sure if they were selling them as trailer tires or how they were labels, but they were the old style, or at least the ones I purchased, with the pie pan edge. Not sure if they had the right style of side wall and tread for a 67 -68

Just thinking out loud
Jeff Speegle

Offline sammy73

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
What do you guys think of the new radial Firestone Wide Ovals that look like the bias tires? I'm surprised it took so long for the repro manufacturers to come up with something like this.

www.cokertire.com/firestone-wide-oval-radial-rwl.html         

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
What do you guys think of the new radial Firestone Wide Ovals that look like the bias tires? I'm surprised it took so long for the repro manufacturers to come up with something like this. 

Would not look correct for the application

Just for comparison here is just part of the side wall from a period white wall wide oval

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:47:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »
Jeff, is the above picture of the wide oval tire what would have been used on a car that a Marti report calls, F70-14 Wide oval white sidewall nylon tires, in bias tire form? What is the accepted replacement today for this call out?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:52:34 PM by preaction »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
Jeff, is the above picture of the wide oval tire what would have been used on a car that a Marti report calls, F70-14 Wide oval white sidewall nylon tires, in bias tire form?

Yes that is what the Marti report showed and what was still in the trunk

What is the accepted replacement today for this call out?

Not sure of "acceptable".  We each have our own comfort level. IMHO nothing short of one exactly like this (not focusing on the dates) would mean that I didn't have a fully restored vehicle. Currently I don't believe there is an exact reproduction and I would guess no one is calling the companies that make tires and asking when or if they are considering making what was a very popular tire. With out that option your left to use something similar but not correct. Same manufacturer, right size, close or right thread..... just doing the best you can giver the situation. I had the same problem with a 65 Shelby before they started reproducing the correct tires for them. I was able to get the right size, belted tires but without the blue dots and a different manufacturer. Parents brought them home to me from NZ as part of their luggage    ::) many years ago

The situation here and in other examples, is that it is what it is and almost everyone has come up short in one specific area or detail since not everything is going to be available, but if everything was available and you could just call up and order anything, don't think these efforts would be as personally reward as it could be.  It would just mean that you had a big enough check book or credit line. :)

Just my single opinion
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »
Again thanks for your experience Jeff. Would a similar tire with a white wall seem to make a reasonable replacement ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
Again thanks for your experience Jeff. Would a similar tire with a white wall seem to make a reasonable replacement ?

For looks from a distance I think that the whitewall is possibly the first thing I would look to find. Narrow white walls are few so I think that narrows down the possibilities.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »
Is there a white wall "width" ,(the actual white wall stripe itself), typical of the 67' model year?? Whether it was Goodyear, or Firestone? 5/8" , etc..??
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
For looks from a distance I think that the whitewall is possibly the first thing I would look to find. Narrow white walls are few so I think that narrows down the possibilities.
From my experience, the field was narrow 3 years ago and is nearing extinction.  I picked up Firestone FR380s but had to get a full set from three different dealers, one out of state.  I think they are out of production.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660