Author Topic: 65 Heater Hose Grommets- Sept 64 Dearborn ?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 Heater Hose Grommets- Sept 64 Dearborn ?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
I found some old-school 3M strip caulk years back.  It's dried out a bit, but with a heat gun, it softens up and works well.  About the closest I have seen to the calk used at the assembly plant.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
Let me give some clarity to this topic. I called 3M and talked to a rep. This is her reply:

To: xxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:05 PM
Subject: Strip Calk
Hi Jim,
I spoke to the lab, and the composition of the product has not been changed since 2004. It is part butyl, part synthetic rubber.
I have attached the technical data sheet in case you would like to see it.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Sincerely,
Ashley  Product Application Support Representative
 Business Services Operations

ISCA Customer Service Certified
3M Product Application Support Center
583-05-01 | Woodbury, MN 55125
 | www.3m.com
Business Services Operations
The power of you.
go.3M.com/BSO

Simple put, 3M Strip Calk 051135-08578 (Black) is still available. No need to stock up. Its formula has not changed. If you want this particular calk, verify the manufactures identification number. Don't order any other product. It's also know as "rope calk" because of its form.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Guess I need to give out my last box and stop by the paint shop tomorrow. Have been purchasing a non 3M version that I've been happy with. Once I find that product will post pictures and part numbers for those that want to order that product.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Just curious if the caulk has been found on San Jose cars in late 64? Jeff do you have any reference pics on that plant at that time? I know you saw some material in between the hood and hinges on that honey gold car you looked at a couple of years ago.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
Just curious if the caulk has been found on San Jose cars in late 64? Jeff do you have any reference pics on that plant at that time?

Yes have pictures and no don't believe any was applied or used by that point in the first year of production. A quick look suggests that the use stopped just prior to 5R19xxxxxx  - first week of July or so of 64.

I know you saw some material in between the hood and hinges on that honey gold car you looked at a couple of years ago.

Yes but different material and different application. Depending on the period can be found between hood hinges and inner fender panels or hood hinges and hood.
Jeff Speegle

Offline mustang6er

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 12:32:56 AM »
Here is one i found at an MCA event a few years ago a very early SJ car i have the VIN if you want it

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 04:56:40 AM »
Here is one i found at an MCA event a few years ago a very early SJ car i have the VIN if you want it

Its a restored car so no telling what is original and what isn't at this point especially based on some detail that appear in the pictures. I would guess that it had been restored in the eastern US

And a very early car wouldn't be the same as an Oct 64 car
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
In the second picture, the upper "grommet" looks like it's a sealing ring made of caulk smoothed out. There are depressions that appear to have been fingertip related and the ring is recessed, not bulged out like a grommet would be. The smoothing can be done with a finger dabbed in water. The lower "grommet" also looks like caulk although not as smooth. With 400X magnification, you can see where the hose has pulled away from the material.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.