Author Topic: Find that fastener  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Find that fastener
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »
I was having an issue trying find a replacement fastener for the front turn/parking lights on my 67 SJ car.
I consulted the MPC, but it didn't correctly reference the PAL/speed nut used on my car.
Huh.
Scott Drake makes a parking light replacement, but it uses the MPC listed standard nut (and incorrect wire harness).
Ok, so it appears the MPC is using a later assy and Scott Drake is using that later assembly.

So I punted and went to the Osborne Assembly Manual (OAM) and see it listed the speed nut as a 376750-S36 -- and this is the fastener on my car. One more reason for the OAMs!

The AMK site lists hundreds and hundreds of fasteners and I wasn't finding what I needed very quickly and  came upon a better idea. AMK decided to reference the Ford fastener number so ...

Using the OAM/Ford fastener number I used this format to find what I needed:
site://amkproducts.com 376750-s36

Jeez, so now all I have to do is find a needed fastener in the OAM (or other Osborne Manual) and do a site search on the AMK site.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Find that fastener
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »
You mean these?

My methods is find a few pictures from cars built same plant and time period. Go through the hardware buckets or stop by one of the shops locally and pick one out of there spare hardware. Especially shops that like to get their car owners (or the owners insist) to buy one of the hardware kits when doing a car or an area of a car. 

I take them home, clean them, plop them in a Dixie cup with some warmed up blacking agent, rise and wipe them off then oil them.  Done in under 15 minutes.

Works out great I get originals and others get their new shinny hardware that may or may not look like what was taken off.  :)  Two paths - possibly the same goal. Problem with just the book info is that we've demonstrated dozens of times (or more) how those don't always reflect what was used in real life at all plants and time period. Example here this week was the 67 San Jose fuel sender wire retainer at the drivers side wheel well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:48:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
The lamp surround is gold zinc dichromate. I wondered what the fastener color would be. Would it be black or dichrromate?
The OAM says s36, which would match the surround.

But the REAL point here was to use the site: syntax in Google to find the fastener of choice in AMKs website to find what you need.

I'll repost the example above in the 67-68 area.

Thanks!
Bill

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
I was having an issue trying find a replacement fastener for the front turn/parking lights on my 67 SJ car.
I consulted the MPC, but it didn't correctly reference the PAL/speed nut used on my car.
Using the OAM/Ford fastener number I used this format to find what I needed:
site://amkproducts.com 376750-s36
You could have used to Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 67-68, in the Library and got the part number. AMK carried them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
The lamp surround is gold zinc dichromate. I wondered what the fastener color would be. Would it be black or dichrromate?
The OAM says s36, which would match the surround.

But the REAL point here was to use the site: syntax in Google to find the fastener of choice in AMKs website to find what you need.

I'll repost the example above in the 67-68 area.

Thanks!
S36 is zinc dichromate(gold)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
Evidently I erred in making an example of the parking light PAL nut.

But let's carry on with that ...

-- My car appears to have a PAL nut that is so encrusted with road debris and corrosion that a positive identification was not possible. Hence this thread.

-- The 75 MPC states this is a nut -- 45243-S (M-178). The "real nut" style appears to be a later service replacement style.

--Scott Drake makes a reproduction that uses what appears to be the 45243-S, as best I can make out from their pics. Their wire is wrong, according to my example and its Ford part numbers (as verified by my parts car example).

-- The Osborne Assy Manual states this is a 376750-S36, a zinc dichromate PAL nut style. If you don't like the term PAL nut it is also called a speed nut (speednut) and numerous other terms. I fully understand the Manual is what engineering wanted -- not what the production line did.

-- Jim says to use his spreadsheet -- which I often do -- but in inspection after reading his post I find he is using Ford documentation and his entry also states this is also a 376750-S36.

Finally Jeff chimes in with pictures that show what appears to be a darker nut, evidently a 376750-S2. And the comment to find "what was used in real life at all plants and time period."

So I do. I went out to my parts car which is built at the same plant, the same time period (only a few hundred off of my vin number), same build date and found -- a zinc dichromate PAL nut. Tough to see and even harder to photograph given the environment in which they are run.

As this point I'm left with 'what do the judges say I should use'?

Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:03:07 PM »
Evidently I erred in making an example of the parking light PAL nut.

But let's carry on with that ...

-- My car appears to have a PAL nut that is so encrusted with road debris and corrosion that a positive identification was not possible. Hence this thread.

-- The 75 MPC states this is a nut -- 45243-S (M-178). The "real nut" style appears to be a later service replacement style.

--Scott Drake makes a reproduction that uses what appears to be the 45243-S, as best I can make out from their pics. Their wire is wrong, according to my example and its Ford part numbers (as verified by my parts car example).

-- The Osborne Assy Manual states this is a 376750-S36, a zinc dichromate PAL nut style. If you don't like the term PAL nut it is also called a speed nut (speednut) and numerous other terms. I fully understand the Manual is what engineering wanted -- not what the production line did.

-- Jim says to use his spreadsheet -- which I often do -- but in inspection after reading his post I find he is using Ford documentation and his entry also states this is also a 376750-S36.

Finally Jeff chimes in with pictures that show what appears to be a darker nut, evidently a 376750-S2. And the comment to find "what was used in real life at all plants and time period."

So I do. I went out to my parts car which is built at the same plant, the same time period (only a few hundred off of my vin number), same build date and found -- a zinc dichromate PAL nut. Tough to see and even harder to photograph given the environment in which they are run.

I would expect to see the gold. A silver S7 would be a out of the ordinary stretch IMO  but no on a S2 finish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:45:45 PM »
Let me add this, Ford used gold zinc plated items in areas requiring electrical conductivity, such as the grounding of a parking lamp housing. For reference, that's finish -S36 (and may include some -S35).
After 40-50 years of wear and tear on a car, that was designed to last 2 or 3 years (that was the automotive industry philosophy in the 60's), any current picture will not show exactly what finish was used.
And the use of the term "PALNUT" is fine with me. It's now a universal description of a type of manufactured stamped hardware (and a lot easier to say than "Tinnerman" - although they are one company now).
Go with the Mustang Assembly Manuals first. That's assembly line. The MPC used a generic service replacement available at dealers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.