Author Topic: Trap door prop rod 65  (Read 882 times)

Online DKutz

Trap door prop rod 65
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
So my 65 trap door prop rod is dirty, oxidized?  I tried running it in dishwasher, didn't do much.  Any idea on how to clean it up with out refinishing.?  Evaporust?
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trap door prop rod 65
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
So my 65 trap door prop rod is dirty, oxidized?  I tried running it in dishwasher, didn't do much.  Any idea on how to clean it up with out refinishing.?  Evaporust?

Heavy cleaner to remove the old oils then follow with Evaporust might do it. If its the finish then your looking at replating
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online DKutz

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:29:20 AM »
I tried the dishwasher, that didn't do much.  Today I soaked in evaporust, and it came out pretty nice.  Probably not as new but much cleaner.
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »
If its the finish then your looking at replating
The problem with re-plating is the plating process freezes the moving parts, the hinge points and sliding sections become bonded. You can disassemble those areas but then are faced with finding the special type "rivets" to reassemble. I assume you've made that determination. I "inherited" a 65-66 prop assembly and held on to it with the intent of figuring out an inexpensive way to rebuild it. I found a couple of machine shops that said they could do it for a price - a high price. Therein lies the story: it can be done; it's expensive; is it worth it?
I gave it to a friend to continue the search.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
I've had several of these zinc plated as assembled units, didn't have any of the issues described.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin