Author Topic: 65 Rally-Pac  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Brian Conway

65 Rally-Pac
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
65 Rally-Pac; restore or replace ?  The original in my car was repaired years ago and worked for a while but has failed again.  Probably have been driving around for at least the last 20 years with out a functioning tac or clock.  Recently I took the rally-pac, tac only, to a local restoration/repair shop.  Parts are no longer available for a repair.   This shop tried to do what they could but, after some effort, just said it was not repairable.  I have done some checking around and it seems the Scott Drake C6ZZ-10B960CBK, low profile, V8, 6000 RPM replacement is the most reasonable route to get another rally-pac on my column ?  It appears all the restoration shops and reproductions are using a wire direct to the coil and have abandoned the original resistor wire all together ?  So before proceeding any further I would like to ask the members here for opinions ?  Is the Drake reproduction the obvious choice or is there another way to solve this delema ?  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 Rally-Pac
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
There are several places that can restore/repair clocks and tach's.  Search on this site and on the web should yield some results.

Clocks usually just need to be cleaned/oiled or there are quartz conversion kits that can be used.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:06:59 PM »
Tachman will still repair Ford tachs, somewhat reluctantly.  www.tachman.com
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »
.............. Is the Drake reproduction the obvious choice or is there another way to solve this delema ?  Thanks,  Brian

Would do what I needed to repair the tach or would just not hook it up before I would choose doing the extra wires to the coil with a reproduction.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 02:12:58 AM »

This is sort of thread related...

Does anyone know what the average (or Correct) distances are for the Distance from the back of the steering column to the front of the Rally-Pac Mount for both the High Profile and Low Profile Pally-Pacs?  I'm pretty sure that either Rally-Pac is not slammed up against the back of the steering column and that there should be some distance... I just don't know how much for each type of Rally-Pac.  Need help on this one... Thanks.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 02:24:21 AM »

Brian, Currently, The '66 Low Profile Rally-Pac made by Blue Oval is the "Most Correct" '66 Low Profile Rally-Pac out there.  Even the wiring is the same as the Original Ford Rally-Pac.  You can buy one from Sacremento Mustang.  They sell them...and also the Scott Drake Ones as well.

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »
https://www.yelp.com/biz/speedo-check-whittier

Mike repaired the rally tach in our 65 and the tach in my CJ, I could not be more pleased with his honesty and he is an expert at gauges and speedometers of all types.

I normally do not refer companies to friends and associates for obvious reasons.  I referred mike to a ford restoration shop owned by a friend that has been working on cars for 50 years.  He mailed his gauges to Mike that other experts told him we're not repairable and Mike repaired them no problem.

The last time I was there he was repairing a factory cruise control on a 60 Chevy bel aire.  It's a round pod on the left side of the dash with a dial to set your speed.  If the driver exceeds the speed setting a buzzer goes off.  I asked him how many he has repaired through the years, he thought that there we're quite a few.