Author Topic: 66 Metuchen GT "A" Code 289 C-4 Auto - Drive Shaft Markings  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Turnall

66 Metuchen GT "A" Code 289 C-4 Auto - Drive Shaft Markings
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
My drive shaft has 19078-4W stamped on it and my build sheet has the code "B" for the drive shaft.  Schedule build date on the build sheet is 25K.

Does anyone have any sample pictures of what the stripes may look like.  I can find 2 stripes towards the rear, the closest to the rear appearing to be yellow.  The 1st stripe is ~4" from the weld joint and the next stripe is ~1" from the 1st.

If any other information would be deemed pertinent, please advise.

EDIT:  Not long after posting I have found what appears to be a blue stripe ~1 3/4" from the weld on the yoke end.

Thanks,

Allen
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:44:26 PM by Turnall »

Offline jwc66k

Re: 66 Metuchen GT "A" Code 289 C-4 Auto - Drive Shaft Markings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
My drive shaft has 19078-4W stamped on it and my build sheet has the code "B" for the drive shaft. 
Allen,
That number is the supplier's stock number for that diameter of tube. It's not a Ford number.
There may be information you seek via the search feature. Try "driveshaft marking", and include the quotes. They seem to work.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
Yes there is an older thread with two examples of Oct 65 and a April 66 built V8 with automatics. They found a pink/lilac and white combination

Make sure that you clean the top layer of paint off so that you can see the original color (wet with water or light oil can help also) since the top layer or skin can take on a different look after all these years. Don't have to do the whole stripe just a little test section.

Try - " 66 driveline marking automatic "
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Turnall

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I had done extensive searching and had already read the ones I found after the recommended searches.  None appear to be striped like mine was the reason for my inquiry.

Thanks again,

Allen

Offline Turnall

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
A couple of pictures.  Looks like the blue is just a round blot and not a stripe.  The other stripes just don't even come out in a picture.

Allen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I had done extensive searching and had already read the ones I found after the recommended searches.  None appear to be striped like mine was the reason for my inquiry.

I do have one example (though it is a picture of a restored one with the stripes located in an uncommon location) that does include a light blue stripe but since it is not a picture of the original markings I won't post.  If your sure this is the original driveline for your car I would consider returning the marks as found after documenting. drivelines for early cars are a bit more of a mystery since we don't have written records as we do for later cars

Have you looked for the second stripe?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Turnall

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »
Have you looked for the second stripe?

I feel certain there are 2 stripes Jeff.  "I can find 2 stripes towards the rear, the closest to the rear appearing to be yellow.  The 1st stripe is ~4" from the weld joint and the next stripe is ~1" from the 1st."  From my original post. and to be clear, the 2nd stripe is ~8 1/2" from the weld.

Thanks,

Allen

Offline Turnall

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5214.msg29544#msg29544

The spacing on this picture by rodster appears to be close.

Allen

Offline Herman

Drive Shaft markings - 66 289 Automatic
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
I recently picked up an original drive shaft from a 66 automatic car and would like to get some information on the markings. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:59:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline Herman

Re: Drive Shaft markings
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Unfortunately these are the best photos l have
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline rrenz

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
Cant really report on what the markings actually mean after doing many hours of research during the restoration of mine. I also have a 66 automatic with markings that were same in color however completely different in location from this. I suppose every worker had their own "thing". One thing that is cool are the numbers which were stamped on the steel tubing. I believe they got 3 drive shafts from one piece of stock so only one of three pieces had the numbers present. Perhaps someone else may have some more insight.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Herman

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I was able to get a better photo of the yellow part number on the drive shaft.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
What is the approximate height of the numbers?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
What is the approximate height of the numbers?
That's the supplier's stock number, not a Ford part number, and not all drive shafts came with the supplier's stock number. The drive shafts were cut to length from a 20 foot long tube to make a raw shaft so if yours doesn't have the supplier markings, don't add them. (On the other hand, if the numbers look nasty, remove them - Goof-Off works.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
That's the supplier's stock number, not a Ford part number, and not all drive shafts came with the supplier's stock number. The drive shafts were cut to length from a 20 foot long tube to make a raw shaft so if yours doesn't have the supplier markings, don't add them. (On the other hand, if the numbers look nasty, remove them - Goof-Off works.)
Jim

Mine did but I can't find the picture of the measurements I took of the height just location. And want to order the right stencil kit. I think I posted in another thread that mine was 11W at the end
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe