Author Topic: Radiator Retaining Hardware - 66 San Jose  (Read 2366 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Radiator Retaining Hardware - 66 San Jose
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »
Did a survey for a current restoration and thought I should share the findings to help others in their efforts now or later.

Focus for this one was the bolt that holds the radiator in place and to the radiator support

Went though my picture collect, ignored any example with a replaced radiator since there was a possibility that the original hardware might not be reused or it would be installed from a different direction than originally found.  Of course some of the examples may have had the radiator removed and repaired over the years and that may explain the small number of examples that did not match the vast majority.

What I came up with is a bolt with an intergrated washer (one piece - washer part of the head design) installed from the front of the vehicle. Head visible through the grill. 90% of the examples were found with this orientation. The included both cars originally equipped with shrouds and without which sort of makes sense that workers assigned to this task would find what worked for their station and repeat again and again

Hope this helps others.   

I've included just some of the examples (spaced out through the production year) below.

6R120xx

6R1377xx

6R1693xx

6R178xx

6R1963xx

6R2043xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Radiator Retaining Hardware - 66 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 12:33:21 AM »
There are two screws used, 359121-S42, 5/16-24X3/4 hex, 13/16 flange washer, and 378180-S2, 5/16-18X3/4 hex, 13/16 flange washer (I use the term flange washer to describe the permanent washer as apposed to a separate disc washer). From Osborn, the 5/16-24 screw was referenced in the Chassis section for 64 and 65, the 5/16-18 screw is referenced in the 65 Body section. The 5/16-18 appears to be more common. No plant or change over is known (yet).
Pictures 1, 4 and 5 only show the tip of the 5/16 screw, the prominent feature is the fan shroud screw.
Picture 2 shows the hex head of either 359121-S42 or 378180-S2, as above.
Picture 3 shows a tip.
Picture 6 appears to show a different head.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
There are two screws used, 359121-S42, ............. and 378180-S2, .........

Guess that is part of the survey. That is not what I've seen or found. Maybe your reporting what the books suggested they were suppose to use

Pictures 1, 4 and 5 only show the tip of the 5/16 screw, the prominent feature is the fan shroud screw.

Confirming the direction - one of the two things I was doing with the survey and the reason I choose to show that rather than just the head side ;)

Picture 6 appears to show a different head.

Don't believe so. Know that car well and its the same as the one shown marked 6R1377xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 01:54:57 AM »
Picture 2 is the head style (sans marking) of both styles of screws I listed. Direction would be dependent on whether the nut clip was attached to the radiator or the radiator support. A "pre-assembly" step would attach the nut clips to the radiator, or to the shroud bracket, then the screw would come in from the front. If that was the assembly procedure, the radiator would be pre-identified as to a shroud requirement ("K" or A/C).
Picture 6 has a "thin" washer flange, barely visible.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 02:08:51 AM »
Picture 2 is the head style (sans marking) of both styles of screws I listed. Direction would be dependent on whether the nut clip was attached to the radiator or the radiator support.

Well yes and no. There were three options depending on year and plant if equipped with a shroud and two if the car was not equipped with a shroud

Picture 6 has a "thin" washer flange, barely visible.

Believe it is more pronounce the dark picture and the low contrast I think minimizes the look. Easy enough to get access and compare side by side with other examples.

The two bolts you listed in your first post - the only different was that one was coarse and the other fine thread???  According to the books you looked at. :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
Jeff
What is the finish on these?  The pictures look like zinc but S2 and S4 denotes P&O?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
Well yes and no. There were three options depending on year and plant if equipped with a shroud and two if the car was not equipped with a shroud
Three "options" of what?
The two bolts you listed in your first post - the only different was that one was coarse and the other fine thread???  According to the books you looked at. :)
You might check the Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 64-66 in the library where those two screws are listed along with my sources. The Assembly manuals contain what Ford engineering intended the assembly line to do, not what variations were granted by manufacturing engineers actually on the line and at different plants.
What is the finish on these?  The pictures look like zinc but S2 and S4 denotes P&O?
Do not get confused by the clear zinc finish on the shroud hardware. The screws are either black cad (-S42) or phosphate and oil (-S2) depending on which was actually used.
On a side note, Sherlock Holmes Deductive Reasoning Division: I find only a few 5/16-24 type hardware items in my collection. The majority of 5/16-18X3/4 hex flange washer screws fit the part number 378180-S2 specifications. Of the 72 I have in inventory that have been processed using the techniques describe in "Phosphating 101" (Processes Section), 56 have a head marking of "N L", the "L" superimposed over the N (three variations, small, small with a circle, larger, see Type 29 in "Bolt Head Marking Tables"); 8 have a head marking of "M F c" where the "F' shares the right hand leg of the "M", and the c is smaller (it is not in the "Bolt Head Marking Tables"); 6 are marked "R B W" (type 33 with a dimple); 1 has two parallel "S" markings where the letters are distorted, aka stretched, vertically (not in "Bolt Head Marking Tables"); and one unmarked. Keep in mind that the majority of Mustangs I have access to were built in San Jose (in Milpitas).
Jim 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
Jeff

Bolts the survey (along with installation direction) focused on were the radiator retainer bolts and those were found in P&O

Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 03:27:00 PM »

Picture 2 shows the hex head of either 359121-S42 or 378180-S2, as above.

Is this the bolt you are referring to?

66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »
Is this the bolt you are referring to?
The bolt in your picture appears to match the style. If it's a 5/16-18 thread, then yes.
Jim