Author Topic: 1967 GT 350 (Early 10/66) Front Brake Flex Line Bracket Orientation & Finish ?  (Read 947 times)

Offline cmfuser01

Wondering what the correct orientation of the flex line brackets is supposed to be - leaning forward or aft... I've seen both.

I'm pretty sure the finish should be semi-gloss black but should it be as black as the example on the right in the attached image? it was painted with the NPD semi-gloss but appears too black and too glossy to me.

One last thing - how much 'play' should be expected in the flex line with the suspension fully extended? Should it be taught or pretty loose... I know this could be a little hard to describe but I'm willing to try to understand. With what I have now the clip that holds the flex line to the bracket can't be installed with the suspension fully extended. They should be correct repro hoses but one never knows.

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Wondering what the correct orientation of the flex line brackets is supposed to be - leaning forward or aft... I've seen both.

Wow not sure where those examples came from but LOTS of unoriginal details in each.  Just another reminder why its suggested you don't use the general internet for your homework when restoring these cars. Had a owner the other day that looked at so many pictures posted and forum posts on all the forums and could not even figure out what color door hinge bolts were originally. Unfortunately he made a choice based on what he found and choose wrong :(

Here are some unrestored examples to illustrate what was done originally. BTW there is a three page thread discussing the subject http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11479.15

7R1533xx Later (Dec) example - bracket tilted rearward Hose fitting tilted forward towards disc brake. Upper A arm has been replaced at some point

I'm pretty sure the finish should be semi-gloss black but should it be as black as the example on the right in the attached image? it was painted with the NPD semi-gloss but appears too black and too glossy to me.

IMHO there is a good chance that these were dipped which would produce a glossier finish than sprayed examples as we see on pulleys or engine compartment

Pictures above may suggest the amount of play or tension on original hoses in the original configuration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cmfuser01

Wow not sure where those examples came from but LOTS of unoriginal details in each.  Just another reminder why its suggested you don't use the general internet for your homework when restoring these cars.
The photo on the left I found just to demonstrate the bracket orientation. The photo on the right is my car. Care to comment on any non-original details in the example to the right? At a minimum I see there's a lot more sloppy sealer in that area in your examples than on my car.

Just another reminder why its suggested you don't use the general internet for your homework when restoring these cars.
Exactly the reason why I'm here : )

I did search before posting but didn't come up with that other thread, not the right combination of search terms I guess - thanks.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the hoses though to me they look pretty taught in the photos you've shared. Is there any level of tweaking that might be typical like bending the brackets? The shop that's putting the car together feels like there's not enough slack in the hose to account for suspension travel and turning geometry. In fact, with the suspension fully extended there isn't enough slack to get the clip on the fitting on the bracket. Yes they are repro hoses but the brackets are the ones that came off the car. The hoses came from a reputable vendor and at this point I have no reason to question them - should I?

Thanks for your help Jeff.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
The photo on the left I found just to demonstrate the bracket orientation. The photo on the right is my car. Care to comment on any non-original details in the example to the right? At a minimum I see there's a lot more sloppy sealer in that area in your examples than on my car.

Things like the spring saddles are replacement and have the rubber pads between the spring and the saddle pads (not original) and because of these pads you have a small hole that fits onto a nipple formed in those pads. Also not original

Steering (tie rods, adjusters, adjuster hardware, center link) and spindles all mono tone. Not darkened from the heat treating, no brighter machined surfaces. Upper ball joints have non-factory type rivets, the rivets are the same finish/tone as all the rest of the metal and the upper ball joints have zert fittings. I would not have chosen to paint the front coil springs. On the hoses you choose to use remove the markings. Better to have no non-factory markings than have the wrong ones ;) 

I'm still a little fuzzy on the hoses though to me they look pretty taught in the photos you've shared. Is there any level of tweaking that might be typical like bending the brackets? The shop that's putting the car together feels like there's not enough slack in the hose to account for suspension travel and turning geometry. In fact, with the suspension fully extended there isn't enough slack to get the clip on the fitting on the bracket. Yes they are repro hoses but the brackets are the ones that came off the car. The hoses came from a reputable vendor and at this point I have no reason to question them - should I?

A vendor can be fine but often they don't make the parts and its not unusual for hoses to get made a little shorter or a little longer than they originally were.

Might just want to visit the local auto parts store and lay the hoses they have next to what you got to see if one brand is slightly longer. Worth a try IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cmfuser01

Thanks Jeff. If nothing else this project has been a tremendous learning experience.