Author Topic: Original Hipo Air Cleaner base?  (Read 3810 times)

Offline livetoride60

Original Hipo Air Cleaner base?
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »
Got a Hipo air cleaner base (and top) off eBay from Branda.  It was advertised as original.  However, I'm not sure if this dot pattern is original?  I've only ever seen this on a reproduction.  Original bases I have seen have either one or two half-dollar size indentations on the base for no emissions, and a metal nipple for attaching a hose when there is emissions.  The base may or may not have a date code.  Seems less likely on early ones. 

Anyway, main thing is does anyone know if this dot pattern came on some of the original hipo air cleaner bases?  There are no indentations like I'm used to.

Thanks,
Rich

'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline livetoride60

Re: Original Hipo Air Cleaner base?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »
Same dot pattern on a repop base I have...

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »
Here's the two indentations I'm used to on an original base...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »
Got a Hipo air cleaner base (and top) off eBay from Branda.  It was advertised as original.  However, I'm not sure if this dot pattern is original?  I've only ever seen this on a reproduction.  Original bases I have seen have either one or two half-dollar size indentations on the base for no emissions, and a metal nipple for attaching a hose when there is emissions.  The base may or may not have a date code.  Seems less likely on early ones. 

Anyway, main thing is does anyone know if this dot pattern came on some of the original hipo air cleaner bases?  There are no indentations like I'm used to.

Thanks,
Rich
I for one have only seen that pictured style base on known older repros were the repro mfg made it optional to add a elbow for a PCV hose. The three types of Hipo bases I have seen are ones with no nipple base  (but no holes like picture), the type with the large nipple for a PCV hose (closed emission ), type with small 1/8-1/4 inch nipple. Just the ones I have seen that were factory. Others may have seen additional types not mentioned.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 12:30:54 AM »
My base has a 1/2 inch hose fitting for the "closed" emissions. It is not an add on fitting but roll pressed into the base. No visible date code. It's been on the car for over 20 years, since I've owned the car, but I cannot verify its originality. My repro has the "dots" on the base for the add-on fitting.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:51 AM »
+3 Repo  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »
+3 Repo  :)
Mine? Thanks, I needed that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
Fred from the hipo forum is saying they never came from the factory with the "dots" too, and only repos had that.  Guess we have a pretty good consensus.  Thanks everyone.

Well, back it goes!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:03:20 AM by livetoride60 »

Offline sgl66

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
My base has a 1/2 inch hose fitting for the "closed" emissions. It is not an add on fitting but roll pressed into the base. No visible date code. It's been on the car for over 20 years, since I've owned the car, but I cannot verify its originality. My repro has the "dots" on the base for the add-on fitting.
Jim
Does it look like this? This came with mine with all the other original Hipo engine parts

66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
Yup. It's like I described, roll pressed into the base. Does your base have any signs of a date code?
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Just thought this would help (from another thread here on the site)

And example of some of the mid 66 into 67 date stamps found on the bases of 289 Hipo air cleaners
Dates are easiest to make out from the bottom surface. They are placed on the outer flat ring of the base

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:07:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »
Yup. It's like I described, roll pressed into the base. Does your base have any signs of a date code?
Jim
No date stamps or any other markings.

I seem to recall your Hipo was built around the same time as mine?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:27:55 PM by sglbbs »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
Status Update:  I got ahold of Branda and they are offering a full refund or a partial refund if I want to keep just the lid.  I checked the lid contours and they look correct. (A Great article on How to ID an Original Hipo Lid here btw: http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=21812.0).  However, it looks like someone has hit the edge of the lid with a power sander to remove rust, and in the process flattened the edge contour in places.  (pics below)

So I'm debating whether to return the lid and have a couple questions:  Is it possible to remove a) pitting and b) the flat spots on the edge to where it will look good when rechromed?  I thought I saw a rechromer at a show who had a process to do that, at least the pitting part.

Thanks,
Rich

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Is it possible to remove a) pitting and b) the flat spots on the edge to where it will look good when rechromed?  I thought I saw a rechromer at a show who had a process to do that, at least the pitting part.
The simple answer is yes. That's also the expensive answer. Typically, a really good chrome shop will fill the area with copper. That process varies, copper weld and/or several layers of copper plating being two methods. They have their tricks. Grinding and polishing the entire area is used to match and make the area look normal. It may not be worth it. Ask in any case. I've seen brass hood ornaments that took over a dozen plating steps just to fill pits and cracks. (The chrome process is sometimes called "triple chrome", which is a nickel plate step, several copper plating steps, then the chrome.)
Bottom line is - you must tell them what you want, get a quote and get out your checkbook.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 07:36:03 PM »
..............The three types of Hipo bases I have seen are ones with no nipple base  (but no holes like picture), the type with the large nipple for a PCV hose (closed emission ), type with small 1/8-1/4 inch nipple...................

To illustrate these three versions I thought we would benefit from pictures of each

No Nipple- Paint color applied depends on application.

Large Diameter Nipple for closed emissions

Small Diameter Nipple - opposite the formed/stamped depression in the base

Jeff Speegle