Author Topic: 1966 console ashtray not fitting  (Read 1146 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 console ashtray not fitting
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:39:47 PM »
I don't have another to look at, and can't figure out exactly why the ashtray does not sit flush with the level of the console...it keeps dropping down.  (The top of the ashtray is original and the base is a repro)  I assume some clips or other parts are broke/missing?  Attached are pics:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 console ashtray not fitting
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
Is this in a AC car?

Looks like the long top trim is adjusted rearward too much
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:34 AM »
It is an a/c car.  I will take a look at the trim...didn't know it was adjustable.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »
You can't tell from the pic, but the ash tray itself fits at first, but then falls forward and below the trim.....I'll have to find another to look at and see what's different about it.

Thanks...

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »
You can't tell from the pic, but the ash tray itself fits at first, but then falls forward and below the trim.....I'll have to find another to look at and see what's different about it.

Thanks...

a chunk of the plastic console base looks to be broken off, maybe relates to the missing chunk
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
It is an a/c car.  I will take a look at the trim...didn't know it was adjustable.

The holes in the plastic base are often larger than the studs so there is some wiggle room. Often guys that made the short console will not trim it just right (making the long section just a little longer)  or will not adjust it so that the small lip we see in the picture hangs over the end of the plastic and slightly over the small plastic tap that holds the front edge of the ashtray in place. Its real noticeable when the ashtray sits right but the lid hits the end of the long trim when you try and open. The front edge trim allows the end cut to be off by 3/8" if it was cut too long then it (the long trim) can be trimmed and hidden under the end trim cover

Don't think the small broken section plays into this. You have the four sides - each with a plastic section that holds the ashtray in place as designed. Problem takes place when one whole side is missing/broken off.

In the 80's I use to collect/buy all the consoles  from most of the Mustang shops and in my spare time mix and match then restore them. Likely went through 300 over the years. Shops didn't have the time to screw with them most of the time unless they were perfect when they came in
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies......I'll try locate an original ashtray and see if it fits properly.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
The broken piece on your console is probably the result of someone forcing an ash tray to fit. One of the consoles I had was broken in the same place. What I've found is if you install the long trim piece using the "fit" at the glove box as a stating point, the ash tray will not open properly. Yours, being an A/C console, "should" be easier to slide the shorter trim plate forward.
(You get experience my making a lot of mistakes.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
FWIW  The ash tray has a metal ' clip ' fore and aft.  Attaching to the console with that ' clip ' may be your problem ?  Brian
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:55:23 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.