Author Topic: 1969 under hood wiring harness  (Read 1750 times)

Offline kammertime

1969 under hood wiring harness
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
I thought my under hood wiring harness was in good condition until I did a closer inspection. Both marker light wires have been cut and the passenger side horn wire is frayed and the plastic connector is broken.
Is there someone that can restore this harness to concours condition ?

Are the reproduction harnesses acceptable in the concours trailered class ? From what I have read the repro harness does not come with the firewall block. How difficult is it to remove the connector pins from the block and reuse the block for the new harness ?

Thanks in advance,
John

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1969 under hood wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
I thought my under hood wiring harness was in good condition until I did a closer inspection. Both marker light wires have been cut and the passenger side horn wire is frayed and the plastic connector is broken.
Is there someone that can restore this harness to concours condition ?

Are the reproduction harnesses acceptable in the concours trailered class ? From what I have read the repro harness does not come with the firewall block. How difficult is it to remove the connector pins from the block and reuse the block for the new harness ?

Thanks in advance,
John
My services do not include concours-level refurbishment.  But...to answer your question about removing the connector pins and re-using the block, it is not that difficult to remove the pins.  I use a small flat-head jeweler's screwdriver, sanded down on one side to half-thickness, to push the locking tab in to remove the pin.  I use the same device for bending the locking tab outwards.  Most connector blocks I see have broken pieces around the periphery, and often the locking tabs are broken as well.  The blocks are available as reproductions, though, and are very good quality. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »
John - since it is specific wires that are the issue perhaps you could rob another original harness for these to complete yours?  If you need the wrap for the parking light/turn signal harness at the front, Rhode Island Wiring (?) seems to do the most authentic work.

BTW, your tach harness is different than non-tach so not that easy to find the complete original part.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline kammertime

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was not aware that the block was available as a repro. I found it in the NPD catalog for around $25.

Back to my second question - Are the repro wiring harnesses acceptable in concours trailed class ? If so, I may choose that route.

John

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
I would splice in a section from a donor wire as an easy fix since the pieces u needcan be cut from a regular non tach wiring

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
I would splice in a section from a donor wire as an easy fix since the pieces u need can be cut from a regular non tach wiring
Easier said than done when dealing with a concours situation.  It is nearly impossible to hide the splices; otherwise, I would have offered my services.  The 70's are even worse, as they had a plastic cover over the two wires going out to the side marker lights, that's embedded in the main harness square molding all the way out to the marker lights. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:03:12 PM »
Easier said than done when dealing with a concours situation.  It is nearly impossible to hide the splices; otherwise, I would have offered my services.  The 70's are even worse, as they had a plastic cover over the two wires going out to the side marker lights, that's embedded in the main harness square molding all the way out to the marker lights.
It depends on what has to be done I suppose.  I have found for the most part it is straight forward and easy (relatively speaking) to disguise the splice by alternating the location of multiple splices so no two splices are next to each other . Of course a donor harness is involved. That way you don't have a "fat spot" in the harness that looks odd. I have disguised harness's cut in half mid harness that way before on more then a few occasions. I don't like the look of the plug ends on many of the reproduction harness's compared to original. That is how I justify it.  It takes a lot of time to do. You have to re wrap the entire harness for the best look . It may take too much time from a job standpoint when having to sell to others. I understand that. Many clients would not understand I am sure.   The 69 wire wrapping otherwise is pretty forgiving look wise. The tail harness on the other hand is not near as easy given the weaved covering. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
I just checked my stock of 69 headlight harnesses, and the side marker lamp wires are embedded in the plastic sheathing.  There's no way to splice the wires inside the sheathing and leave the sheathing intact.  The only way to do this is to find some large shrink tubing that will fit over the lamp socket and heat it so it just loosely fits over the wires.  It can be done, but not quickly or cost effectively for my style of business.  RI Wiring can probably do this well, but I've only heard results on the tail-light harness looms.

I agree w/Bob that a higher quality of repair is to offset the splices to avoid the Python-eating-the man appearance, but that is only a matter of aesthetics and more for the concours crowd.  It's all a matter of what's acceptable to the individual. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Back to my second question - Are the repro wiring harnesses acceptable in concours trailed class ?

If it looks exactly like an original you should have no problem since that is the intended goal. If there is a visual difference then judges may make a mention or deduct for it depending on the value or importance if noticed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kammertime

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies. I will try to fix my original harness and see if it is acceptable.

John