Author Topic: '67 Rear Bumper Guards with Dual Exhaust?  (Read 3753 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'67 Rear Bumper Guards with Dual Exhaust?
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »
I have a '67 coupe that came with the painted rear bumper guards.  Prior to me buying the car, someone removed the bumper guards but left the brackets behind the valence, then replaced the rear valence with one with cutouts for factory dual exhaust.  Did Ford offer this configuration as an option (exhaust tip cutouts on the valence, plus bumper guards), or were the rear bumper guards only available with the single exhaust rear valence?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 Rear Bumper Guards with Dual Exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
All 67 Mustangs came with chromed front and painted rear bumperette guards. (68's were an option, depending on build date).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
If your 67 is a street driver all is well. You can configure it as you wish.

According to a number of sources (including those here http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9102.15) only S-codes and K-codes got factory dual exhaust (with the valance cut-outs).

Look at any 67 GT350 to see a factory install of valance and rear bumperettes.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
only S-codes and K-codes got factory dual exhaust (with the valance cut-outs).

It is a bit more restrictive - an S-code non GT had dual exhaust with turn down tips, not the valence cut-out quad bright tips.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
It is a bit more restrictive - an S-code non GT had dual exhaust with turn down tips, not the valence cut-out quad bright tips.
Since you mentioned restriction (acknowledge turn down is hardly any as mentioned) the transverse muffler AKA gas tank heater is the most restrictive aspect and is on all duel exhaust 67's. Everything else is just a footnote in comparison of restrictions .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
Bob, my use of wording was confusing. I did not mean restrictive as in flow, I meant to say that the quad tips was restricted (limited) to the GT/GTA when the 390 was involved.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
Good to know!
I'm not sure I've seen a non-GT S-code car in years.
There have been so many retrofits of this valance onto cars it's confusing.

My 67 GTA A-code had the cutout valance (valence sp is correct too) which was a retrofit.
Had to be since it was originally a single exhaust car.

So in summary for 1967 we have:

C code - single exhaust
C code GT - single exhaust
A code - single exhaust
A code GT - single exhaust
K code - dual exhaust On edit -- GT was a mandatory option for K code cars.
K code GT/Shelby GT350 - dual exhaust and cutouts  (K GT had quad tips)
   Shelby GT350 had difference valance versions and two different bologna tip versions
S code- dual exhaust w/turndowns
S code GT - dual exhaust and cutouts w/quad tips
   Shelby 428 GT500 had difference valance versions and two different bologna tips

[on edit - strike out K code non-GT]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:07:48 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
Good to know!
There have been so many retrofits of this valance onto cars it's confusing.

My 67 GTA A-code had the cutout valance (valence sp is correct too) which was a retrofit.
Had to be since it was originally a single exhaust car.

So in summary for 1967 we have:

C code - single exhaust
C code GT - single exhaust
A code - single exhaust
A code GT - single exhaust
K code - dual exhaust
K code GT/Shelby GT350 - dual exhaust and cutouts
    (K GT had quad tips?)
   Shelby GT350 had difference valance versions and two different bologna tip versions
S code- dual exhaust
S code GT - dual exhaust and cutouts w/quad tips
   Shelby 428 GT500 had difference valance versions and two different bologna tips

The only issue, and it is minor, is that I think in 67 all 289 HIPOs had to be ordered with the GT equipment group option, so the "K code - dual exhaust" (no cutouts/quad tips) would not have happened.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
I've read the 67 Illustrated Facts Guide a number of times, but I seem to have missed the last page's RPO listing for the K-code line item "(with GT Equip Only)".

I've updated the list of dual exhausts above to reflect that.

Thanks!
Bill

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
Here are a couple of shots of a 390 Non-GT Fastback that I owned in the early 1980's...

1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »
I've read the 67 Illustrated Facts Guide a number of times, but I seem to have missed the last page's RPO listing for the K-code line item "(with GT Equip Only)".

As a side note or question - Does anyone know where the information that makes up all the Illustrated Facts Guides came from and who put them together originally? Always wondered they have been around for sale since the Mustang Does It days . 

Not to take use too far off thread - just a quick question.  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:17 AM »
Here are a couple of shots of a 390 Non-GT Fastback that I owned in the early 1980's...
Those tips look to be a replacement. They are straight cut and don't appear rolled on the end the same as the factory. They seem to stick out too far under the valance also.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:30:07 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »
As a side note or question - Does anyone know where the information that makes up all the Illustrated Facts Guides came from and who put them together originally? Always wondered they have been around for sale since the Mustang Does It days . 

Not to take use too far off thread - just a quick question.  :)

I had heard once that Ford supplied the statistics on a yearly basis for marketing/shareholder use.  I have also heard that there were a few guys that were able to get query results from Ford back in the 70's.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
The "Illustrated Facts" book, under the heading of "Engine Exhaust Systems" is certainly confusing.
On page 29 is this gem:
"All Mustang GT models are equipped with a dual exhaust system. This system consists of dual exhaust pipes, and [sic] equalizer pipe, dual "node" chambers and resonators, dual exhaust outlet pipes, and dual chrome exhaust outlet tips extending under [my emphasis] the rear modesty panel. This same system, with the exception of the chrome exhaust tips, is included on all other Mustangs equipped with the 289 - cubic - inch High - Performance V - 8. All other Mustangs are equipped with a single exhaust system."

The page then has a chart that obliterates a lot of what was just said and shows only 289 Hi-Po and 390 cars got dual exhaust.

So, the first sentence is wrong (according to the chart).
The paragraph indicates that all exhaust goes under [my emphasis] the modesty panel (aka valance/valence) and then goes to say the Hi-Po does not get the dual outlet pipes. I wondered where I got that idea from.

Page 22 say the the GT Equipment group includes " . . . -- plus  dual exhaust system with bright "quad"  extensions [not "dual . . . tips"] on 390 and 289 High - Performance V - 8".

Then finally, and appearing nowhere else is the note on page 30 that the Hi-Po is available only "(with GT Equip. Only)"

This whole business of what is correct with respect to dual exhaust has been muddled by the "facts" book.
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
The "Illustrated Facts" book, under the heading of "Engine Exhaust Systems" is certainly confusing.
On page 29 is this gem:
"All Mustang GT models are equipped with a dual exhaust system. This system consists of dual exhaust pipes, and [sic] equalizer pipe, dual "node" chambers and resonators, dual exhaust outlet pipes, and dual chrome exhaust outlet tips extending under [my emphasis] the rear modesty panel. This same system, with the exception of the chrome exhaust tips, is included on all other Mustangs equipped with the 289 - cubic - inch High - Performance V - 8. All other Mustangs are equipped with a single exhaust system."

The page then has a chart that obliterates a lot of what was just said and shows only 289 Hi-Po and 390 cars got dual exhaust.

So, the first sentence is wrong (according to the chart).
The paragraph indicates that all exhaust goes under [my emphasis] the modesty panel (aka valance/valence) and then goes to say the Hi-Po does not get the dual outlet pipes. I wondered where I got that idea from.

Page 22 say the the GT Equipment group includes " . . . -- plus  dual exhaust system with bright "quad"  extensions [not "dual . . . tips"] on 390 and 289 High - Performance V - 8".

Then finally, and appearing nowhere else is the note on page 30 that the Hi-Po is available only "(with GT Equip. Only)"

This whole business of what is correct with respect to dual exhaust has been muddled by the "facts" book.
A interesting 67 rear valence tidbit. Shelby American had to improvise to begin with on the blank rear valance because of the duel exhaust exhaust tips used on all regular production 67 Shelby cars.   The early production cars had to have the rear valance cut out by SA employees and modified with a made up trim ring using left over 66 exhaust parts because the duel exhaust rear valance had not been released yet. Once Ford released the new part the Shelby's were built at Ford like all other Mustangs that got the duel exhaust rear valance.