Author Topic: Clarification on repop dash pads  (Read 1148 times)

Offline bhoulis

• 67 GT350
Clarification on repop dash pads
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
Soon it will be time to face the issue of a new dash pad for my 67. I know "good" used originals are out there but before I commit to that, there have a few questions about the repops I would like to get answers to. One option is the "fits good, wrong grain" piece, which sounds like it would be easy to install but hard to look at without thinking every time, "Fits nice but darn, wrong grain" .  The questions I have are for the one that has good/better grain but doesn't fit. In what way does it not fit? Too short, too wide, won't slide over the dash, foam too thick/thin in certain spots? I'm not expecting a piece that will be "plug and play", and am not afraid to spend a little time massaging parts to get them to fit, but don't want to buy something that will turn into a major project of its own. Also, which vendors are selling the good grain piece? I believe the Drake piece is the wrong grain/good fit. Anyway, just looking for any input from those who have gone this route. Thanks for any help. Brian

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Clarification on repop dash pads
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
I hope you have better success than I did a few years ago with this same question.
RESULT: I bit in, and bought three originals (not just one), and settled on the best of the three. (one went directly back to the seller)

FWIW, the "end studs" that are often pulled loose, can be put back. I'm not sure how well the repair holds up over time but I am hoping minimal exposure to the sun (shrinkage) will prolong it's satisfactory lifespan (meaning, as long as I am the one looking at it).

Good luck ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bhoulis

• 67 GT350
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »
Thanks. Just want to get some answers on the actual fitment issues with the good grain repop. A lot of posts on the web where all you hear is " They suck!, They don't fit!"  I get that, but don't fit how? Can they be made to fit and look good with some effort? Just looking for stories of real world experiences. Brian

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »
Thanks. Just want to get some answers on the actual fitment issues with the good grain repop. A lot of posts on the web where all you hear is " They suck!, They don't fit!"  I get that, but don't fit how? Can they be made to fit and look good with some effort? Just looking for stories of real world experiences. Brian
Where there is smoke there is fire. All the negative things you have heard have a basis in fact. Can you get one installed yes . Is that what you wanted to hear? Getting it to fit is a matter of opinion. Having it appear correct on the outside is a matter of opinion too.   Does it look as good , fit as good as original all other things being equal no. Some require heat gun message ,some require cutting excess foam etc. They can be different even within the same MFG. I havn't seen one yet that you couldn't tell immediately the difference between the grain texture on the repro compared to the original.  It is up to you to decide if you want to go to the extra effort to find a good usable original or if it is "too hard". If you don't have high expectations , are selling the car ,no time to look  etc.then that is different. Everybody is different which is OK. You have to decide what makes the best sense for you.  I would strongly suggest looking past the "too hard "route and finding a good used one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »
.................... I would strongly suggest looking past the "too hard "route and finding a good used one.

True achievements rarely come without  any challenges or difficulties.  Most often I've found the greater challenge the greater the personal achievement and satisfaction with the finished product. But as always it is a choice one makes for themselves
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
67-68 repro dash pads have always been a mystery to me...I'm sure I don't understand all the ins and outs of the manufacturing process but it seems to me that once you go to all of the expense to get the tooling set up to produce the correct shape, coming up with the correct surface material finish would have been the easy part particularly since the correct finish is smooth.

Of course there are a lot of repro parts like that...I'll never understand why someone will put all of the time and expense into producing a reproduction part and get it wrong.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
Of course there are a lot of repro parts like that...I'll never understand why someone will put all of the time and expense into producing a reproduction part and get it wrong.

From my experience and discussions with some involved in the business its often due to cost savings (would cost more to make a closer part) the frustration factor or the fact that even a inferior part sells and the reproducer makes money
Jeff Speegle

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
I'm sure you are right Jeff...the number of folks wanting completely accurate reproductions is probably a fraction of the number who just want a nice looking part that is less expensive to produce. The market speaks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »
I'm sure you are right Jeff...the number of folks wanting completely accurate reproductions is probably a fraction of the number who just want a nice looking part that is less expensive to produce. The market speaks!

Unfortunately its  chicken or the egg sort of thing.

Why do the reproducers make cra***y parts? ... because people buy them.

Why do people buy cra***y part? ...... because people make them and others sell them. 

Unfortunately sometimes a less expensive part doesn't last or work like it was originally designed.  As a Captain I had once use to say.... Buy cheap..... buy often
Jeff Speegle

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
OK, this is just from experience in installing too many of these. The ones that fit but have the wrong grain do fit quite well. You will have to do some trim work at the top edge where it meets the windshield seal (measure twice, modify once) and the end mounting studs are fine thread instead of coarse. I have also had to trim the pad on the right hand side so that the RH dash trim piece fits flush and even with the large upper panel. Owners of 68's will also have to notch for the VIN tag. It also helps to set the pad in the sun for an hour or so to ease installation. The cheaper dash pad with the more correct grain, I now refuse to install on a customers car period. They are too small (side to side) and the end curve downs above the mounting studs will eventually split on a good cold day. nothing lines up with those pads. If you have to go with a reproduction, the Dashes Direct are the best choice. Hopefully a company will reproduce them correctly someday with the correct foam instead of a solid rubber like substance but this is all we have at the moment unless you find a good used original. Hope this helps.   Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built