Author Topic: 1966 Paint Color Codes  (Read 11802 times)

Offline Pete Bush

1966 Paint Color Codes
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:44:31 AM »
I've been attempting to research the "standard" color codes for 1966, and came up with the following list. I realize that Ford would paint almost any color the customer asked for.

First, I'd like to verify the veracity of the list.

Second, I'm needing help on the interior color table. I need the build sheet code for "white" and the corresponding Ditzler paint numbers.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline Pete Bush

Re: 1966 Paint Color Codes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
Okay, I think I’ve reconciled the exterior paint and accent stripe colors, but I’m having difficulty with the interior paints.
I’m looking at the 1965/66 Interior Trim Schemes [attached]
The Group 1 codes pretty much match the 6 build sheet codes:
•   D = Parchment #5779
•   5 = Red Irid #5773R
•   6 = Charcoal Black Irid #4464
•   2 = Light Blue Irid #5748
•   7 = Light Aqua Irid #5742
•   ? = White #5767
The instrument panel and steering column of both standard and deluxe trims would have been painted these colors, and these would have been in place during bucking?
Also in place were the windshield posts and metal door surfaces, but standard trim cars were painted Group 1 colors while deluxe trim cars were painted Group 2. Did the radiator support markings (that transmitted the painting instructions during bucking) include the deluxe Trim Code so that the body could be prepared properly?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:24:00 AM by Pete Bush »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »
........... 2. Did the radiator support markings (that transmitted the painting instructions during bucking) include the deluxe Trim Code so that the body could be prepared properly?

Would not expect it to since that was not the purpose of those and the marks may have been added after those stations had already passed. In addition the question would have to include the plant and time period since it appears that marking the radiator support was not a practice followed by all plants or even the complete production year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:01:05 AM »
According to the list, there were eight Group 2 interior colors for 1966:
•   Medium Blue Irid #5747
•   Medium Ivy Gold Irid #5756
•   Medium Palomino Irid #5759
•   Medium Aqua Irid #5751
•   Emberglo Irid Dupont #9260LM
•   Dark Emberglo #5776
•   Burgundy Irid #5775M
•   Charcoal Black Irid #4464
If deluxe trim cars would have had these applied during bucking, as I suspect they might, and the radiator support didn’t communicate the instructions, and the build sheet wasn’t created until the car started down the Trim & Chassis line, how were the instructions communicated?
Were there other body markings before paint that would have served this purpose? Like the number 3 on the door in picture #21….. [attached]

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:11:48 AM »
Charles might also recall a discussion we had recently about the Qt. Trim Delete, and when it occurred on the line. If you look at picture #6, you'll see the holes punched in the right side body half before the panels were even assembled. The pattern looks like the 1966 trim. A Sprint, which would have had the Qt. Trim Delete (and thus, no holes), would have to be identified before the body was even put together. Which raises the question, what process communicated these instruction?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:13:43 AM by Pete Bush »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
The answer to when the holes were made depends on whether or not those large side sections came pre-assembled when delivered to the assembly plant.  The holes might have been made before the pieces ever got there.

That's a neat negative array, where did you find it?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
I found it online. People post all kinds of things. I found a link on one of the Mustang Forums.

I suppose they might have been shipped in that way. But they needed to provide panels with and without holes in the three body styles.

And I saw no build sheets taped to the parts - unlike the ones we saw in the Martha Reeves video of the TC line.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »
Were there other body markings before paint that would have served this purpose? Like the number 3 on the door in picture #21….. [attached]

I must be looking at something else- #21 looks to be just the front frame rails, firewall and not much more. Ohh ;) there are a number of slides with the same number.

As for the #3 we don't have any reference (as to the purpose) - individual numbers are often found on different areas of the car (before and after paint)  but have not found any workers that can explain their use. Will put it on the list of things to ask the next workers we plan to interview this fall

From my understanding (interviews) the first build sheet was created before any assembly started- as they served (one of many purposes) to inform the subassembly areas of type and number of assembles needed on the line. Without these printouts they would have no idea of what to put together
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »
Jeff,

It would make sense that a build sheet would exist for the BP line, too. I guess I was just trying to find some evidence of their actual existence.

I don't have any 1966 special order paint build sheets in my possession, so I'm not quite sure how the process was handled. I know that a blank paint code on the door tag is indicative of a special exterior color. I have Jim Smart's Mustang Production Guide Vol. 1. When I see a car with a special order color, I normally see a 6-digit DSO. The first two digits being the region district and the last 4 digits I believe are the particular order number. Nothing about the paint code here.

The broadcast sheet however, is supposed to indicate the special paint color in the last box of the top line DSO/FSO/PTO (Domestic Service Order/Foreign Service Order/ Paint & Tire Orders). Was there a master catalog of paint codes that the code referenced?

If the build sheet was one of the few places to contain such information, it would make sense that the BP line would be working from them as well. After all, one of the first things the line has to establish is the color.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
Jeff,
It would make sense that a build sheet would exist for the BP line, too. I guess I was just trying to find some evidence of their actual existence.

Believe we will have to rely on comments by workers not sure where one would be located to make it through the build and paint process so that we would find it today.

I don't have any 1966 special order paint build sheets in my possession, so I'm not quite sure how the process was handled..............., I normally see a 6-digit DSO. The first two digits being the region district and the last 4 digits I believe are the particular order number. Nothing about the paint code here.

We've seen (other years) were the Specials got other than four following digits but the vast majority as as you describe

The broadcast sheet however, is supposed to indicate the special paint color in the last box of the top line DSO/FSO/PTO (Domestic Service Order/Foreign Service Order/ Paint & Tire Orders). Was there a master catalog of paint codes that the code referenced?

. I would guess that in 66 they marked the buildsheet like one other years. We've seen where a note was included on the bottom of the sheet stating things out of normal production such as kilo speedos on exports, different steering ratios (than standard for particular model so that that point would be noticed by someone on the line. In this way it would call to attention a special or different paint for your example.

On the later ones there is a note (printed out when the buildsheet was printed) simply. The notation was "SPECIAL PAINT" followed by the paint code. From there the painter have to mix the paint (unless it was once from a different line of car that they assembled at that particular plant. Recall one of the painters mentioning how that process worked (application of an odd color) outside of the regular feeders - just can't recall the details at the moment

If the build sheet was one of the few places to contain such information, it would make sense that the BP line would be working from them as well. After all, one of the first things the line has to establish is the color.

Not sure if I understand why "one of the first things" would be to establish was the color since that was not going to be applied until later - after all the panels were assembled, sealants, some sound deadener and other body panels were installed.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/68rainbowofcolors.shtml

Has a nice description of the special order paint system (at least as it pertains to 1968) and a picture of a 1972 Special Paint Selector - Fleet Colors. I would imagine that a similar kit was available in 1966? With slightly less color choices.

Would you happen to know if special paint codes on the build sheet referenced the "M", "WT", or "MX" codes (whichever happened to be applicable to the situation)?

I found the following statement online: "When the cars came down the line, the main information was on the #1 IBM punch card. A regularly offered paint (options list) was recorded on card #1; special order information on "other" paints, and "other things", such as axle codes, promos, additions/deletions were recorded on card #2, #3, etc. The problem lies in the fact that when Ford decided to put the relevant information (for Federally mandated recalls) on computer tape, someone decided that the info. on cards #2, etc. was not relevant and not worth the cost of saving it. Since Kevin Marti's database consists of the information that was put onto the master computer tape that "other" information is not available to him (or you, or me) at least not via that source."

Instead of Broadcast sheets (as we've seen examples of), is it possible that the BP process was guided by these punchcards?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »
http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/68rainbowofcolors.shtml

Has a nice description of the special order paint system (at least as it pertains to 1968) and a picture of a 1972 Special Paint Selector - Fleet Colors. I would imagine that a similar kit was available in 1966? With slightly less color choices.

Decent description - I would agree and yes we've seen and some of us have the Fleet books from different years. Not sure if I've seen the 66 one but they all are similar - though the colors in the books appears to vary a little over the years

Would you happen to know if special paint codes on the build sheet referenced the "M", "WT", or "MX" codes (whichever happened to be applicable to the situation)?

Yes that is what I was describing in the last post. Written is SPECIAL PAINT followed by the paint code which had to include the prefix

I found the following statement online: "When the cars came down the line, the main information was on the #1 IBM punch card. A regularly offered paint (options list) was recorded on card #1; special order information on "other" paints, and "other things", such as axle codes, promos, additions/deletions were recorded on card #2, #3, etc. The problem lies in the fact that when Ford decided to put the relevant information (for Federally mandated recalls) on computer tape, someone decided that the info. on cards #2, etc. was not relevant and not worth the cost of saving it. Since Kevin Marti's database consists of the information that was put onto the master computer tape that "other" information is not available to him (or you, or me) at least not via that source."

Instead of Broadcast sheets (as we've seen examples of), is it possible that the BP process was guided by these punchcards?

Not sure how correct the statement is  but I've not found a worker who describes using the punch cards on the line since they are not easy to read or can be scanned quickly to keep the process moving.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks so much for clarifying some of this. One last question (for now ;)): Do you happen to know the OEM paint supplier for 1966 (assuming all plants used the same product)?

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
I've updated my broadcast sheet blog accordingly:

http://mustangcodex.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
I've updated my broadcast sheet blog accordingly:

Question about your blog if you don't mind. Is it focused on the 66 production year or a little of a number of years? :-\
Jeff Speegle