Author Topic: 66 Alternator Pulley And Fan Finish  (Read 1776 times)

Offline resto66

66 Alternator Pulley And Fan Finish
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
What is the finish for the alternator pulley and fan for a January 1966 289 coupe with A/C, no P/S.  I know the fan is supposed to have 13 blades, but some parts vendors indicate that the fan and pulley should be zinc dichromate.  However, I have an 2005 AMK catalogue, from when they sold the concours correct alternators, which says that the fan and pulley were black for 65 & 66 and didn't change to zinc dichromate until 67. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

Re: 66 Alternator Pulley And Fan Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:12:56 AM »
I am also looking for this answer for my Oct 64 built SJ car.
Anyone out there that can help us out?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
semi-gloss black.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Pulleys had rubber rings that filled the grooves that were used as a painting mask. You can "replicate" that mask by wrapping several layers of masking tape to fill the grooves (up to 1/16 inch from the edge). In other words, the grooves did not have paint.
As far as I can tell, the pulleys and fans were sprayed, hung by their shaft hole. I don't believe they were "dipped". Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
Also, another good place to go research this is on Dead Nuts On's website. Jack has done some extensive work documenting the pulley and fan colors and what plant was doing what and when change overs occurred, but I know my K-Code which has a 1966 Feb 10th build out of San Jose was a black pulley and black fan, Jack had an unrestored K-Code documented that had a build date about 6 days before mine from San Jose as well.

Anyway, check it out or even call him, I know he has everything you would need if you want get one from him and I'm sure he'd be happy to help with what application would be correct for your car.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
What is the finish for the alternator pulley and fan for a January 1966 289 coupe with A/C, no P/S.  I know the fan is supposed to have 13 blades, but some parts vendors indicate that the fan and pulley should be zinc dichromate.  However, I have an 2005 AMK catalogue, from when they sold the concours correct alternators, which says that the fan and pulley were black for 65 & 66 and didn't change to zinc dichromate until 67. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
I have seen evidence of both black and gold hipo alt pulley's been used in later 66. I haven't studied the non hipo in that regard. Maybe some of the hipos details cross over to the non hipo in this regard. Anyway this is just what I have seen on the hipos.  65 is definitive in that area 66 early is too but after April of 66 approximately is when transition changes started to take place at least as it had to do with the hipo pulley's . I have original examples of fans that were dipped in black paint but the original pulleys that I have seen which still had a some kind finish left and that I was reasonably sure had not been messed with where not painted black but were what appears to be black dichromate . This is the same type of finish as the gold dichromate but black instead.  FYI I have vintage pictures of early production non modified 67 hipo engine with a black fan and pulley. The transition apparently wasn't complete done until after 67 production was done.  Just my observations .Others may have different opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby