Author Topic: tubular support braces  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Road Reptile

tubular support braces
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
Hi all,and Happy New Year !
 A local shop is assembeling a 65 "A" code 4 speed Dearborn built convertible,and would like some info on the tubular braces that bolt in from the cowl to the front apron section.When looking for pictures it appears they are year specific:none used in 64 1/2 ? bolt on brackets for 65,and a tab type mount for 66.Is there any info as to when they began and if all 3 plants installed them.The problem is the right side brace is touching the air intake snorkle....the 1 picture we found so far shows the brace higher up--above the snorkle,so if someone could please help out by posting a picture of an "A" code with a stock air filter and these braces we would really appreciate it.
       Thanks a ton R.R.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: tubular support braces
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
I believe they started adding them to all convertibles sometime in November of 1964. Not sure about the factory specifics though. I'm sure others will chime in.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:37:23 PM by Twilight65 »
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »
My stuff lists Nov 11, 64 as being the date that the engine compartment and underdash braces were added to production to address "cowl shake" complaints. Article suggest a bunch of things (extending welds, adding washers and the later braces) to address the problem in earlier built convertibles

Graphic from that TSB article

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:14:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Hi all,and Happy New Year !
 A local shop is assembeling a 65 "A" code 4 speed Dearborn built convertible,and would like some info on the tubular braces that bolt in from the cowl to the front apron section.When looking for pictures it appears they are year specific:none used in 64 1/2 ? bolt on brackets for 65,and a tab type mount for 66.Is there any info as to when they began and if all 3 plants installed them.The problem is the right side brace is touching the air intake snorkle....the 1 picture we found so far shows the brace higher up--above the snorkle,so if someone could please help out by posting a picture of an "A" code with a stock air filter and these braces we would really appreciate it.
       Thanks a ton R.R.

You are aware that the snorkle gets notced out to clear the pipe?
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:07:10 PM »
Was the brake pedal support brace also installed on cars with A/C?

Offline Road Reptile

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
Hi to all,
Thanks for the response and especially the TSB print.If the snorkel gets cut have you got an idea how much,or why this one was not cut prior to this?
        Again Thanks!! R.R.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
the folks here sell a template for the cutting. http://www.mustangbarn.com
5F09C331248

Offline Stang Sixties

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »
Hello,

That's an interesting post. I found a 65 mustang convertible in France with no long tubular braces in the engine bay.
 It's an export vehicle with a DSO 91 as mine. As you can see on the data plate picture, she was built  in junuary 1965 (27A).

How do you explain, that car built far after november 11th, 1964, have not that part ?!

Thank You !

Franck

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »
That's an interesting post. I found a 65 mustang convertible in France with no long tubular braces in the engine bay.
It's an export vehicle with a DSO 91 as mine. As you can see on the data plate picture, she was built  in junuary 1965 (27A).
How do you explain, that car built far after november 11th, 1964, have not that part ?!
Franck,
It's quite simple, you have the far more functional Export Brace, the brace from the shock tower on the right, to the firewall and continued to the shock tower on the left. It's also more expensive and requires an additional bracket under the attaching point on the firewall for the four bolts.
Consider yourself fortunate.
Is the bracket under the dash to the brake support installed on the car?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Stang Sixties

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:36:13 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for the answer.
Concerning the car shown above, impossible to check on it. I don't know the owner.

But for my mustang (same model), built the September 25th, 1964, you right !
There's an additionnal bracket welded on the firewall to adjust the export brace.

However, there's no link installed Under the Dashboard, between the
brake pedal support and the bottom of the dash.

Franck