Author Topic: 64 1/2 repo chrome  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

64 1/2 repo chrome
« on: January 27, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
Good or bad - 64 1/2 horn 3 spoke chrome thingy.  Does it say Falcon Sprint on it?  Good piece?
Good or bad - glove box door?  The one we have isn't bad, but it isn't mint.  By the time we strip it and redo it it will cost three times as much as the repo. I am afraid the repo wn't fit very well. Same on the horn piece.  Your personal experience is appreciated.

Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 64 1/2 repo chrome
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
The horn ring should say Mustang.  Guess the repro is ok, it all depends on what level car you're doing and what's acceptable.  Would prefer original parts given the chrome is good.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
The horn ring should say Mustang.  Guess the repro is ok, it all depends on what level car you're doing and what's acceptable.  Would prefer original parts given the chrome is good.

Super early cars got the dual purpose Falcon Sprint horn ring - its double stamped C3DA and C4ZA.  You have to pull the center emblem to see it, but because everyone knows this, it would be nice to have the Falcon Sprint piece and put the slots in it for the Mustang center.

This is a very hard piece to chrome and get right.  Chrome doesn't like to get into 90 degree places, and there are angles greater than 90 on the piece.  This is a several hundred dollar rechrome job.

I agree that original is always better, but not necessarily cost effective. I know that Drake repos the Falcon piece and that's probably what I will do - have it machined for my Mustang center.  My plan for this car is to make it nice, and unique parts like this and the original gas tank will go with the car.  That way, if the next owner wants to take it to the next level, they can.

BUT, if the aftermarket parts fit poorly or don't look the same, we spend a little more and rework the originals. Hence my original question. Thanks for the input!

Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:59 AM »
Once the center piece goes on it really doesn't matter what's under it.  I might want to compare it side by side with the repro to determine if there are any glaring differences.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
How about these - these are the early tail light housings.  The one with red and black wires I think is a Pro Products repo (remember those guys?) and the other is an original.  Are the new repos correct with the right colored green/black ends?

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
Dave,

I think the Scott Drake Horn Ring Assembly is very nice.  Regardless of cost, I believe that it would be very difficult for a chrome plating shop (even a good one) to replicate all of the original look.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/64-12-STANDARD-CHROME-HORN-RING-ASSEMBLY-P2816.aspx

The Scott Drake Glove Box Door is also a very, very nice part.  As with the horn ring, I'm sure that you could pick out subtle differences between it and an original, but I bet it would be difficult.  Drake has done an excellent job with this part also.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-STANDARD-CURVED-GLOVE-BOX-DOOR-P3045.aspx

The tail light body on the left in your picture looks like a Ford service part.  If your wiring plugs and sockets are good, I would try to press them out (have not done this on the early one like yours though) and replate the original bodies.  The original ones will have the proper Ford stamping.  If you don't have but one original, you may want to search for another one.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »

Brant, While you are on the subject of Glovebox doors here,

How is the '66 Standard repro of the glovebox door..?

I'm curious..  Ist it as good as the '65 ???

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
Super early cars got the dual purpose Falcon Sprint horn ring - its double stamped C3DA and C4ZA.  You have to pull the center emblem to see it, but because everyone knows this, it would be nice to have the Falcon Sprint piece and put the slots in it for the Mustang center.

Dave, what would you consider a super early car? I previously owned a 64 1/2 coupe (Dearborn car) with a June '64 scheduled date. I was the 2nd owner (technically the 3rd). It was purchased off a small local used car lot in the early 80's, and they bought it from the original owner. No, it wasn't slick a slick dealer story, to him it was "just an old Mustang". I learned of the car's history from a friend who went to school with the original owner's son and the kid drove it to school everyday in the 70's, and I was a freshman at the same school, same time. I relate this info due to the fact I don't believe the car was modified. It did have chrome reversed rims (anyone remember those?!  ;D), and SUPER cheap replacement carpet. Other than that, ALL the correct 64 1/2 parts were there. The plastic center was broken out of the horn ring and the outer retaining portion was loose. You could clearly see the crossed flags and "Falcon Sprint" underneath in the center. Unfortunately I never did anything with the car (job, wife then kids), so I ended up selling in hopes someone else would restore it. I sure miss it (260 2v, automatic, a/c, console), and would love to have it back!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD