Author Topic: Paint for underhood and underbody 65 SJ K code  (Read 1608 times)

Offline GregM

Paint for underhood and underbody 65 SJ K code
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
I am in the process of finishing up the metalwork on a K coupe. The Vin # is 5Ro7K166988. I was told thats a December 21st 64 build. All three Vin's are there and all the other date stampings all are correct.

The underbody is black from the engine and under the floor area with the red oxide primer only visible towards the very rear. The car is Ivy green.
What would be the correct black underhood paint, the correct underbody black and what would be correct for the black interior of this car ?

Just stumbled onto this site for the first time. Thanks for your help.
Greg M
5F07K..............
5R07K..............

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Paint for underhood and underbody 65 SJ K code
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »
Don't believe you will find an absolute correct undercarriage or engine bay paint.  Most of us try to match what we find on the cars.  PPG DPLF 90 is a black epoxy primer, you can start with that and tint it to match your original primer.  I've found the black undercarriage paint is a little on the grayish side.  It isn't a deep black.

Interior lacquer may be hard to obtain in your area.  I've been having really nice results using PPG Concept urethane, DCC 9000 black, and SU4985 One Choice Matting Agent.  Follow the spec sheet for egg-shell mix.  I imagine this paint is much more durable than the original lacquer.  Goes on really nice, only need one coat.  Of course, you have to have to have spray equipment to go this way.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »
Agree with Charles the first place to check is the car itself

If the car has been striped or restored already I agree your VIN suggests that its during black period (floor from firewall rearward - red oxide, firewall forward) for San Jose that year if it was really build during that time period (no way of knowing for sure but more likely than not IMHO

Welcome :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GregM

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
The floor on the car is actually a dark black underneath. Even after all the prior repair / attempted restoration damage it is clearly visible.
We have a few cars at the shop and are comparing what we find color wise to them. Very different and they were all San Jose builds from 12/64 to June 65.
Thank you for your help and advice.
Greg M
5F07K..............
5R07K..............

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
.....We have a few cars at the shop and are comparing what we find color wise to them. Very different and they were all San Jose builds from 12/64 to June 65.

Yes we would expect a fair amount of variation given that plant and that time period  - thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)