Author Topic: 65 Spare Tire Mounting  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Ivygreen65

65 Spare Tire Mounting
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
I had my 6.95 x 14 tires mounted this weekend and, when I went to install the spare in the trunk, I found that I can't get the tire to go into space between the wheelhouse and the taillight panel.  I remember seeing a post regarding this problem either here or on the VMF, but now I can't seem to find the post.  Mine is a late 65 convertible with the original wheelhouse and it is not indented. 

I'm assuming that the center hole of the wheel should be directly above where the mounting bolt attaches to the trunk floor and that the wheel should be fairly horizontal.  What is the best way to get the tire where it needs to go?

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: 65 Spare Tire Mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
I'd be curious to know if the area where the "J" bolt hooks to has been replaced? thats about the only reason I can think of-I have a LATE '65 (July) Dearborn Convertible and have an original jack, lug wrench and 14x5 SS wheel with a 695x14 dual redline bias ply tire in my trunk and it fits fine.-what type of wheel are you using?

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
I've got original sheet metal in the trunk.  I'm trying to fit a 6.95 x 14 tire on a standard 14" x 5" steel wheel into the spare tire space.  I wonder if my BF Goodrich Silvertown 660 tire is a larger diameter than the original tire. 

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
You've got the same tire that I have...you might have a whitewall or a dual redline but you have exactly the same tire and size of wheel that I have.....can you take a picture or 2? may be I can help??
I'll go out and look at mine too....

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:52:28 PM »
I was thinking that the tire should sit flat on the trunk floor, but after a little more jostling around, it appears that the tire sits on the wheelhouse and is the bracket for the bumper bracket.  This gets the wheel center over the j-bolt bracket.  If someone can confirm that this is correct, I'll be good to go.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:11:10 AM »
Make sure you use the jacking instructions decal as a guide.  The jack will help keep the wheel/tire in a more horizontal position than leaning over like the 64.5 cars.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:16:36 AM »
I'm using a spray can lid to take the place of the jack (since my jack has become lost during my restoration and I'm looking for another) and I'm pretty happy with the fit now.  Thanks for the help.