Author Topic: Sheet metal date codes ?  (Read 8938 times)

Offline KCodeK

Sheet metal date codes ?
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
So, just for the sake of information, how soon after a sheet metal piece was stamped out was it likely to have been used in production?

How do you know which year?  For instance if you have an 8 2 D3, how do you know if it's 64 or 65?  Could you have a 6 10 D3 Part that was made in 64 used on a 65 car or were they put together too fast for that to happen?  What would be the latest 64 #'s that could have made it to the 65 production line?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: Sheet metal date codes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
8 2 D3 is August, 2 Dearborn-3rd shift.  That would have to be Aug. 1963 if it was a 64 1/2 piece, which would not work.  I believe that is a 1965 Panel.  6 10 D3 is June, 10 Dearborn 3rd shift, also of 1964 vintage, not 1963. This panel was most likely installed in a Very Late June-July built car, could make it into an August build. IMHO . 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:25:37 PM by MagMustangs »
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
I believe it depends on the sheet metal section/part you're looking at, there is no rule that applies to all of them.  Some of the inner structure components I have seen were dated 4-5 months before a scheduled build date, whereas other parts like fenders, might only have been a few weeks or a month prior to the scheduled build date.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »
My coupe has a "scheduled" build date of June 28, 1964. ALL the sheet metal dates that I found and recorded were stamped "6". The earliest was 6 4 and latest was 6 20 with the majority around 6 14.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
I believe it depends on the sheet metal section/part you're looking at, there is no rule that applies to all of them. ...............

+1

IF we know when and where the car was built (well at least the projected date for 65-66 cars)  - as well as the specific panel we can compare it to others built around the same time and plant since transport, warehousing and other related time periods could be fairly consistent. At least a good IMHO place to start
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
My coupe has a "scheduled" build date of June 28, 1964. ALL the sheet metal dates that I found and recorded were stamped "6". The earliest was 6 4 and latest was 6 20 with the majority around 6 14.

That would make sense on an early car since they had a hard time keeping up with the orders. 

As an example of what I was referring to, the SJ K convertible I restored with a sch. build date of Feb 10th, had September/October dates in some of the rear convertible and floor pieces

Offline KCodeK

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
This is a 65 K code I am referring to with a build date of 15B and most of the sheet metal codes start with an 8 from 14 on, nothing I have found any later than that.   There are things on this car that are not adding up.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:36:47 PM by KCodeK »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »
This is a 65 K code I am referring to with a build date of 15B and most of the sheet metal codes start with an 8 from 14 on, nothing I have found any later than that.  5R09K187323. There are things on this car that are not adding up.

Nor sure how your finding a sheet metal stamping date stating with anything over 12 unless the first digit is missing or hard to read since that would be December. Looking at the few examples from around your VIN at San Jose (inner fender panels for example) I'm seeing mostly Jan dates though I do have one in the 178xxx period with later Feb dates so it was likely held back (not started) until much later than other cars entered into the system near it.   Remember to first focus on panels welded to the car since bolt on parts are often swapped around during some restorations especially older rebuilds

I might start looking deeper into the cars history just to make me feel comfortable if it were my car.  Just me
Jeff Speegle

Offline KCodeK

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
No, I mean like 8 14 D2.  All welded panels seem to start with 8.  Hinges also.  Could this be OK for a build date of 15B?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
No, I mean like 8 14 D2.  All welded panels seem to start with 8.  Hinges also.  Could this be OK for a build date of 15B?

That's definitely not normal if everything you are finding on the car is August sheet metal codes on a February car.  Like Jeff mentioned, I think you need to take a closer look at the car, verify all 3 VIN stamps and make sure all the proper K code body features are present (exhaust reinforcements, rebound plate, choke cable hole, etc...)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »

Not from what I'm seeing on other cars built at the same plant around the same time. Just my opinion
Jeff Speegle

Offline KCodeK

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »
So far, everything seems to be right for a K code car, it is not a GT but someone at an earlier date put a GT dash in it and modified the dash.  All #'s are where they should be and match the title and door tag.

Offline dkrebby

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 12:58:02 AM »
Just figuring out the stampings on the sheet metal of these cars.  I know there are stampings on the front fenders, as well as in the trunk area on the drip rails .  Are there other major areas of the body that I can look for stampings on?   If so - where would they be?  I've been around these cars all my life, and yet, and learning new stuff all the time.  I appreciate any help in advance.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support offered here help in your restoration projects.

Just figuring out the stampings on the sheet metal of these cars.  I know there are stampings on the front fenders, as well as in the trunk area on the drip rails .  Are there other major areas of the body that I can look for stampings on?   If so - where would they be? ..............

Now since you've joined you now have access to all the sections on the forum including the Library. In there you will for a large article on date coding that should supply a good foundation for your efforts. Invite you wot explore ll the sections and forums.

"Ar there there major areas of the body that I can look fro stamping on?" As a start panels that make up the unibody make up the foundation of the car and those panels are less likely to have been changed than items that can be bolted on and off the car.Just about every sheet metal panel - large and small had a date and sometimes plant code stamped in them. Where the stamp is can differ on some panels depending on where they were stamped or what stamping plant did the forming. There are hundreds of panels and locations and I've not put together a list, article or thread since there are so many variations depending on plant year, body style and so on.

For example and since we are in the 65 section, in the engine compartment area of your car you can look at the following panels:

- Radiator support
- Front #1 cross member
- Strut rod supports
- inner and outer frame rails
- Sway bar mounting brackets
- Drivers side forward inner fender panel - generally located under where the washer bag would hang
- Drivers side rear inner fender panel - Up on the top fender attaching surface just behind the shock tower
- Passenger side forward inner fender panel - Often under the battery tray area
- Passenger side forward inner fender panel - Center lower of the panel below the hinge location
- Firewall
- Transition panels between the cowl and rear inner fender panel

You earlier mentioned fenders - guess your aware that there are three date codes on each of them
Jeff Speegle