Author Topic: Grommets for '65 Fastback Trunk Lid  (Read 2222 times)

Offline MWM

Grommets for '65 Fastback Trunk Lid
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
Hello:
I have a 1965 Mustang Fastback which is currently in the paint shop.  I noticed that there are white plastic grommets where the torsion bar goes through the trunk hinge.  Any idea where I can get a set?  I have tried several shops.
thank you!

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Grommets for '65 Fastback Trunk Lid
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
Are you referring to the plastic caps that go along the trap door screws?  NPD startes selling them recently.  I know a gentlemen was reproducing them as well. You would need the clear/opague colored ones.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
The little tiny white bushings you need are one of the most obscure parts in the Mustang world.  I have only seen one car with those still intact, an unrestored 65 Shelby that Bob Perkins had at the Spfld Illinois MCA National a few years ago.  Owned at that time by a fellow whose last name was Stein I think.  Those little bushings are going to be very difficult to find.  I have somewhere an image of them, and have provided it to a couple of people in the past as they expressed an interest in reproducing the part but so far no results.  Good luck on your search, I have been searching for one since 1986 with no luck.  They must have been destroyed about the second time the trunk was opened. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »
I have seen these on lots of '65's,

by late '65 and into early '66, I do not believe that they were used:

very late '65 SJ car above.

original paint later '66 SJ car above.

Offline Vonzeek

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
Just wondering if these grommets would be made of nylon, teflon, or a plastic. Should not be hard to get some made up by someone with a lathe and some material. I don't see a split in them, I guess they must be slid onto the torsion rod and pushed into place?
Glenn.