Author Topic: 69 Boss power brake booster  (Read 6286 times)

Offline fomoco

69 Boss power brake booster
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
Did the 69 Bosses come with the Bendix Booster or the Midland Ross Booster? or either?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Boss power brake booster
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
The crimped style (sorry can't recall the supplier this moment) is what I see on original 69 Dearborn built cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
The crimped style Jeff is refering to is the Bendix style Booster.  The Midland had a clamp that held the two shells together. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline fomoco

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »
I recently purchased a power brake booster and the master cylinder for my car and the supplier sent the Midland style and the Master cylinder which works with it to me . He insists that this is correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
I recently purchased a power brake booster and the master cylinder for my car and the supplier sent the Midland style and the Master cylinder which works with it to me . He insists that this is correct.

Hmm- don't know what to tell you. Used original spring 69 Dearborn cars (including Perkin's yellow and my 30K mile car) as references and they were all the same one

Thanks azscj - Midland
Jeff Speegle

Offline fomoco

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
The supplier emailed me this " Ok, can you tell me who is giving the info and what they have for documentation"

The amazing thing is that a Bendix unit came off the car. I have had that car almost continously since 1974. I know that this is the original unit.

I am getting a little anoyed that this guy seems un willing to admit he is wrong. Is there something or someone  I can cite to convince him?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »
Sorry nothing that I know of is in print to quote. You could always send him a link to this thread

Double checked my pictures and found three 69 Dearborn examples of original cars with Bendix - out of allot of cars. All were from earlier in the production year than the Boss 302.  Though I would post just a few of the many examples of Midland boosters I found on cars assembled after the Boss 302 started production since the Boss 302 booster is the same one used on other  Mustang applications that period

Hope this helps show what I found
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 02:14:54 AM »
This wouldn't apply to a Boss but more for regular Mustang production info.  I almost hate to mention this but about 2 months ago at local car show a 69 351W Dearborn convert showed up that had a midland booster . At first I thought it was a typical replacement but upon further examination the firewall undercoating was still in place on the booster and the master was painted black with the correct lid with sticker like what we commonly see on a 68 . The cars was a 25,000 something mile survivor car with original top paint etc. It was the only time I ever saw one like that so i can only assume  it was a very early production variation that ended up on very few cars from the personal observation. I will try and review my pictures and see if I can find a VIN. I took pictures of it because you rarely find a original top with the original metal strip used in the bow covering strip.   This may be a anomaly but it had all the indications of being assemblyline installed. That is why I almost hated to mention it but thought I should just in case it really was a early transition issue. I would never suggest changing out a Bendix for a Midland booster in the 69 Dearborn context because of this one observation. Bob
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:14:23 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »

My humble apologize sir as you can see it was confusion with the name of the booster not the description. The reason we like to answer these in a forum like this is so that others can proof and assure the best possible info gets out. Again sorry for any confusion it may have caused.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
Another bit of confusion is that we a talking in the context of if it came off your car or would have been used on a Boss car. The parts man is talking about if it will work or function on a 69 Mustang with no regard to what came on the car originally or not. The fact of the matter is that the Midland booster will work in that application but I think there is a difference in if it will work and if it is correct for the car. Some parts man at a Auto parts store probably doesn't understand these differences in meaning in the context of this forum.  The Bendix is what a Boss car (April 69 or later) and the vast majoriy of Dearborn 69's would have . Just my thoughts . Bob
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:29:07 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 01:12:57 AM »
We have had a few 69's with the Midland that I have verified as Original. The last 69 we did had a Factory Midland. VIN was in the First 2,000 Range for 1969 And was an 'R' for San Jose.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs