Author Topic: Differences between factory and dealer installed A/C on 66, 6 cylinder  (Read 4139 times)

Offline tnguy624

As I'm getting my parts together for installing a/c in my 66 sprint this winter, I've been seeing and hearing a lot about factory installed a/c and dealer installed. Aside from the obvious difference of when and where it was installed, what are the other differences? Were different parts used by dealers than those use at the factory? I want to be sure that the a/c I install will be consistent in parts of one or another and not a mix match.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give with these questions.

Terry
1966 Convertible
Born Jan. 17, 1966 Dearborn
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Born  May 27, 1966  Dearborn
D-4 Interior: Parchment/Emberglo
V    Exterior: Emberglo
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
Moved to Australia Dec. 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline C5ZZ

Re: Differences between factory and dealer installed A/C on 66, 6 cylinder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
That's a good question, I don't know that there is a difference
between the two for 65/66.

The only thing I would think is that the dealer installed unit
might be lacking a few detail items such as clamps or brackets
etc due to either a incomplete kit or just a mechanic not bothering
to put it them on.
Having had worked a a dealership I would say they might also have
had a A/C add on kit for a Falcon and used it on a Mustang to get it
out the door, not much difference in the kits and it worked.

Your question is pointed more at a complete kit all installed of course,
I'll watch for other responses.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:00:01 AM »
Seems like while I was researching all the data to do an assembly-line-correct A/C install on my 66, I came to the conclusion that assembly-line originals had a clutch fan while dealer-installed units had a water-pump-rpm fan with a spacer.

Seems like the final bit of info that brought me to that conclusion was the picture of all the parts contained in a Mint-In-Box dealer-install kit that Bob Perkins had listed on Ebay for $12,000.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »
A factory-installed A/C system would be expected to be installed in a specific way with specific components.  Dealer-installed can usually mean several different scenarios:

-Dealer's may have installed it new and used the Ford kit.  The Ford kit was not always a 1-1 with exactly all the same parts used at the factory
-Dealer's may have installed A/C, but the system was not the same as a factory system.  The under-dash unit may or may not be the same as factory, hoses and other misc. parts might be different too.  Sometimes the install can appear as a hack job.

Then, there are always owners who have installed A/C in their cars later on down the road.  Some like to say since it was a "dealer option", then that's how they present it.  Although, most of these seem to follow the factory-installed systems since most of the replacement parts available look like the factory parts.

It's kind of like dual exhaust.  See lots of show cars with dual exhaust added and then the owners play the "dealer installed" card.  The problem is when they add dual exhaust, they use all factory style parts.  When the truth of the matter is if you asked your dealer for dual exhaust on your new '66 C code, they most likely would have sent it down to the local muffler shop and had them fab up and install a system.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline tnguy624

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »
I can't thank you both enough for your input, and any one else who might have some.

The reason I'm asking all this is I am wanting to make the Sprint even more concours than it already is  :D Not to brag on myself (ok maybe a little  8)) This is the first year I have been to car shows, and the Sprint has won 5 first place a third place, and one best of show. These were mainly all local AACA sponsored. I know the Mustang Nationals by MCA, is a whole different world and ball game, I would love to bring the Sprint to a concours condition where it could stand a good chance of placing at those events.

Terry

1966 Convertible
Born Jan. 17, 1966 Dearborn
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Born  May 27, 1966  Dearborn
D-4 Interior: Parchment/Emberglo
V    Exterior: Emberglo
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
Moved to Australia Dec. 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline russgoodman

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
This is a little off topic and a bit of a hijack, but I would like to ask it here since this is getting some good response. What kind of point deduction would one expect to take for a vintage aftermarket A/C system installed on a car? It is dealer installed but not a Ford kit nor does it have any ford parts that I am aware of. Thanks
65 Coupe 5F07C627703
Sch build date 2-9-1965
Wimbledon White (M) w/ standard palomino buckets (29), 289 2V, C4
53K original miles

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »
Differences would also include the possible lack of sealer at the firewall (where the hoses pass through) on a dealer installed AC.  Of course it would be cheaper (as Charles mention - exhaust example) for the dealer just to send the car out to Sears or someone else and have an aftermarket AC added - as did many new owners.

This is a little off topic and a bit of a hijack, but I would like to ask it here since this is getting some good response. What kind of point deduction would one expect to take for a vintage aftermarket A/C system installed on a car? It is dealer installed but not a Ford kit nor does it have any ford parts that I am aware of. Thanks

Depending on the judges you can get hit in both interior and engine compartment. Deductions would likely be made in the "catch all" section at the end of each sections so you might see up to the max there (5 points for interior and 5 for engine) and a deduction for cutting the firewall and radiator support (max 3 points there).
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)