Author Topic: Alternator Fan & Pulley Correct Finishes  (Read 3800 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Alternator Fan & Pulley Correct Finishes
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »
OK, I feel like the answer is floating around here somewhere but I can't find it.  I would like to know the consensus on the correct finish for the alternator fan and pulley for a 9/65 scheduled build San Jose A-code with A/C but without PS.  This is a double sheave pulley arrangement.

I thought it was probably black/black, but have heard that some are blue fan / black pulley.  I am pretty sure it is NOT zinc dichromate.  Would appreciate some expert help here please.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Alternator Fan & Pulley Correct Finishes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »
OK, I feel like the answer is floating around here somewhere but I can't find it.  I would like to know the consensus on the correct finish for the alternator fan and pulley for a 9/65 scheduled build San Jose A-code with A/C but without PS.  This is a double sheave pulley arrangement.

I thought it was probably black/black, but have heard that some are blue fan / black pulley. I am pretty sure it is NOT zinc dichromate.  Would appreciate some expert help here please.
Have had many discussions with my peers over the years about the anomalous blue fan . There doesn't seem to be a distinct pattern on it's usage. I almost hate to bring it up in conversation for fear that someone will use it on a restoration . Besides looking out of place it doesn't represent normal production in a restoration IMHO. It should only be replicated when replacing a known example on the same car IMHO. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
Bob - I hope you are right, because that blue/black doesn't appeal to me much.  I do know there are some geniune examples with this combo though.  What about the nut/washer that retains the pulley?  Would these be painted black on an alternator with black/black fan and pulley or some other finish?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
Have had many discussions with my peers over the years about the anomalous blue fan . ...... It should only be replicated when replacing a known example on the same car IMHO. Bob

+1

Bob - I hope you are right, because that blue/black doesn't appeal to me much.  I do know there are some geniune examples with this combo though.  What about the nut/washer that retains the pulley?  Would these be painted black on an alternator with black/black fan and pulley or some other finish?

No the pulleys and fan were not painted on the alternator so the hardware would not have been painted as part of the process.

BTW it was not always a blue/black combo - at least on the ones I found it was just blue (both pulley and fan)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »
Thanks Jeff - so the finish on the nut and washer is.....?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
The nut will be silver zinc and the lock washer looks like a phosphate finish.

Bob.The documented Blue fans and pulleys have all been on Dearborn cars with the exception of a number of SJ Shelby's.The documented time frame is May 65- Aug 65.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
The documented Blue fans and pulleys have all been on Dearborn cars with the exception of a number of SJ Shelby's.The documented time frame is May 65- Aug 65.

For the San Jose cars the time frame is a bit different ;)  have some much later in production
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »
The nut will be silver zinc and the lock washer looks like a phosphate finish.

Bob.The documented Blue fans and pulleys have all been on Dearborn cars with the exception of a number of SJ Shelby's.The documented time frame is May 65- Aug 65.
That compares with what I understand so far.  I saw my first blue one more then and 12 years ago on a 66 carryover GT350 while judging in concours. That one on a SJ hipo and the small number I have seen since from other plants and various applications has has kept me curious. Hopefully a substantial amount of  information can be compiled including car application, engine size, and accessories will help come up with a pattern. Bob Mannel mentions it also in his book.   :D Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »
Jeff, Sorry I wasn't clear on the time frame not including the Shelby's....I'm still waiting on you to get me that info.;)
 Bob, I have only documented the blue fan and pully on 289's.There is an undated picture of the Dearborn assembly plant line showing a 6 cylender motor being insalled in a car and a 289 staged for the next,both having blue fans and pulley's.
  there is also evidence that the blue was used on other car lines.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
So for a 65 San Jose A code non AC/PS car; Alternator fan and pulley is semi gloss black ?  Thanks Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 08:22:23 PM »
So for a 65 San Jose A code non AC/PS car; Alternator fan and pulley is semi gloss black ?  Thanks Brian

Unless it's one of the odd ball ones (read painted blue as mentioned above)  and documented as such, yes the semi-gloss black 13 blade fan and pulley would be typically from what I'm seeing
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:26:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:36:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I read some of the other discussions and not a Detroit car and not a San Jose Shelby but is right on the date cusp of some of the blue fan discussions.  The Autolite alternator I am working with has an 11 blade fan and a single sheave C3AF 10A352 A3 pulley ?  Incorrect ?  Brian
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:44:57 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 11:32:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I read some of the other discussions and not a Detroit car and not a San Jose Shelby but is right on the date cusp of some of the blue fan discussions.  The Autolite alternator I am working with has an 11 blade fan and a single sheave C3AF 10A352 A3 pulley ?  Incorrect ?  Brian
The car may be but that is a later Autolite marked alternator that would be 15 to 18 months past the time frame the blue fan would typically be found in .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 12:06:21 AM »
The car may be but that is a later Autolite marked alternator that would be 15 to 18 months past the time frame the blue fan would typically be found in .

Not sure that we can identify when one of the rarely seen blue fan alternators were typically found. Latest I've seen was on a late Feb 66 built SJ car, an April 66 NJ car and another from an engine dated (assembly) April 6th 1966. Guess at some point we'll need to put together a list of the ones we've found/seen/documented but with so few wouldn't expect to see any pattern. Wish we could find someone that knew their purpose.

Brian - Agree with Bob in you've got a much later alternator and this may explain why you have the fan you have. Also, like many things, parts get swapped around if its been rebuilt by one of the rebuliders
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:14:39 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
OK thanks guys. 
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.