Author Topic: seat belt warning buzzer on a 71 boss  (Read 6660 times)

Offline joe747

seat belt warning buzzer on a 71 boss
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
looking at a 71 boss to buy, but not sure if it is a clone ,has a seat belt light did they come with it and what else should i check

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: seat belt warning buzzer on a 71 boss
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
1971 Boss 351 will have an 'R' as the 5th Letter in the VIN Number.

Deluxe Seat Belts for 1971 included a Small round 'BELT' Light to the Left of the Head Light Switch. 
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:10:09 PM »
looking at a 71 boss to buy, but not sure if it is a clone ,has a seat belt light did they come with it and what else should i check

Like checking any other car (other than the basic  - check for any damage, prior panel replacement, grafting ...) you need to check all the Boss specific changes, mounts, features as well as check for what should and should not be there (this can be holes for items that should or should not be present as well as brackets also). Then panel date codes to determine if panels have been replaced well (since attachment would have been looked at) and it can also help determine if a car has been clipped - front or rear half of car grafted from a donor car. Also you need to check for the "hidden" VINs on the body as well as the vin on the trans and engine. Finally you'll need to compare all the visible castings on the engine to see if it has been replaced, repaired or what else has taken place over the last 40 years

Never easy if yo0u want to be sure - takes me almost exactly 4 1/2 hours on a car plus or minus ten minutes if I'm not distracted ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline joe747

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
1971 Boss 351 will have an 'R' as the 5th Letter in the VIN Number.

Deluxe Seat Belts for 1971 included a Small round 'BELT' Light to the Left of the Head Light Switch.

i have never seen a light like this on a 71 mustang

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
Looking at the pictures I have of 71's and I don't see that light (where suggested) on deluxe interior cars.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Toploader

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »
Never easy if yo0u want to be sure - takes me almost exactly 4 1/2 hours on a car plus or minus ten minutes if I'm not distracted ;)

Sorry for bringing this post up again (just joined the forum recently), but this is truly fascinating. Where would you find a seller who will accept and have the patience for a potential buyer's four and a half hours' worth of scrutinizing your vehicle? Are the sellers attending the entire session, or do they leave the buyer/investigator by himself and go shopping or something else? And wouldn't you need a lift? Does the average seller have such a thing?

The practice sounds reasonable enough with respect to high-end vehicles, I am just surprised if it's viable. Never did this kind of buying myself, but I have often thought about the situation.

Jeppe
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
Looking at the pictures I have of 71's and I don't see that light (where suggested) on deluxe interior cars.
I'm Really sorry for the delayed response Jeff. I never realized you posted again on this subject.

The info about the location of the (BELTS) Light came from the 'Mustang Recognition Guide' I personally have never seen it either. Andrew
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
Will handle the response in a PM rather than taking this thread over
Jeff Speegle

Offline D1ZX

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »
The belt light in 71 was part of the deluxe seat belt option.