Author Topic: Can you Restore a starter solenoid  (Read 3375 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Can you Restore a starter solenoid
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
Came across an NOS starter solenoid but it's for a 72 because of the D2 number. Then I look at my C7 original and hate the way it looks. The original works fine but the top plate is rusty and pitted and the bottom plate also has surface rust. Is it possible to take the top plate off and get it replated? The studs will be difficult to get the nice copper color. The nuts could get re-plated. Is it worth the time and expense? The rivets look impossible to replicate.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Can you Restore a starter solenoid
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
AMK used to rebuild/restore original solenoids, but have not offered the service for many years.  So, yes, it is possible, but may be very challenging to get done properly. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »
After reading the latest Judging post I guess I'll punt to the judges here.

The solenoid issue was addressed a bit in the referenced post, but now I'm more confused than enlightened. For instance, I have two C7 solenoids -- one a little better than the other, but both serviceable with a little cleanup.
Original solenoids have a slight curve to the top bracket, whereas the repops I've seen offer a straight cut. Just like an incorrect engineering number, this really jumps out at me and probably the judges.

Do I continue to clean this one up (Note arrow pointing to original solenoid curve):

Or buy this incorrect (to me) repop with a straight cut and no curve?
[Note: Trying to obey copyright by linking to the owner's site (CJ Pony Parts) and not copying]

Or am I just not looking hard enough and there is another (more expensive, probably) option?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
Here's another possibility:

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php/topic,11043.0.html

Scott link didn't work and not sure what page your referring to or I would fix it for you  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
After reading the latest Judging post I guess I'll punt to the judges here.

The solenoid issue was addressed a bit in the referenced post, but now I'm more confused than enlightened. For instance, I have two C7 solenoids -- one a little better than the other, but both serviceable with a little cleanup.
Original solenoids have a slight curve to the top bracket, whereas the repops I've seen offer a straight cut. Just like an incorrect engineering number, this really jumps out at me and probably the judges.

Do I continue to clean this one up (Note arrow pointing to original solenoid curve):

Or buy this incorrect (to me) repop with a straight cut and no curve?

Or am I just not looking hard enough and there is another (more expensive, probably) option?

Since this question is more of a judging and showing question rather than an original one let me offer these thoughts.

Unless you can clean and replace the visible metal parts of the original you have then you will loose points on condition.

If you choose the reproduction - out of the box you will likely receive some sort of mention or deduction where it lacks in detail and correctness.

Some of these details can be improved or corrected while others are a bit more of a challenge.

Hint- Compare the large studs are they the same type of thread? 
The cable nuts are they the same style as the originals?
Are the nuts that hold the studs to the main case the right style?
And one would expect someone will expect the top rivet sealant to be in place.

Sometimes there is not a right answer just a better one. Make the best of it as its a bolt on item that can be improved, replaced, or upgraded later if the chance arises

As for restoring these the metal plating/condition is the biggest issue I run across. Have been pretty successful with polishing/restoring the cases using a vibration tumbler/polisher with corn husk and buffing compound mixed together.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:50:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
I take nice originals and replate the top bracket . You have to seal off the vent on the bottom for the plating process . After the plating process I will polish the Bakelite case and seal it with a clearcoat. It takes a couple hours of work but the factory units besides having all of the correct details are typically more dependable too. FYI as with the repros be careful when installing cables and use two wrenches one to hold the inner nut to keep post from twisting and one to tighten the outside retaining nut. It doesn't take too much of a twist to get the internal contact mis aligned which causes the sticking problems.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »
I take nice originals and replate the top bracket . You have to seal off the vent on the bottom for the plating process ................

If I remember correctly your doing your own plating at home now. Wonder if a regular business platter would take the care since most of them are using the cages now a days rather than the individual tied piece process of the past

Replacing and or removing the stud nuts to correct a reproduction is also fraught with possible negative outcomes

Had forgotten all the sticking issues with the repos. Wonder if that is a current issue - I don't have anything with one on it
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:54:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
If I remember correctly your doing your own plating at home now. Wonder if a regular business platter would take the care since most of them are using the cages now a days rather than the individual tied piece process of the past

Replacing and or removing the stud nuts to correct a reproduction is also fraught with possible negative outcomes

Had forgotten all the sticking issues with the repos. Wonder if that is a current issue - I don't have anything with one on it
Yes I got tired of depending on a plater for small parts that would get lost so I invested in a larger plating set up.  It would a lot to ask a commercial plater but you never know. I used to do similar plating with one of the small eastwood plating kits . It has a small jar with electrolite and you dip the part into it to plate the a anode and a couple D cell batteries for current. You risk ruining a repro solenoid if you try and replace the stud nuts and field stud nuts on one of them IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bgp429

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »
Have 2 solenoids that I believe are original. One has what I think is a date code on the bottom. Neither have the bracket like the first pictures?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 01:51:43 AM »
Have 2 solenoids that I believe are original. One has what I think is a date code on the bottom. Neither have the bracket like the first pictures?

I've got pictures and solenoids with and without the small untrimmed edge from 65 versions up to and including the D2 Motorcraft versions made by the same supplier. Don't have any from the other supplier but those have been more difficult to find. Almost appears that two blanks were cut out (one attached along this edge with one another with this very short straight section) and the cutting machine sometimes didn't just exactly mid way - leaving one side just a little shorter and one slightly longer with the bridging section intact and remaining

Yes that is a date code. The other may be faint and under that surface rust
Jeff Speegle

Offline sah62

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:16 AM »
Scott link didn't work and not sure what page your referring to or I would fix it for you  :)

The old link from 2011 is broken because of a forum software change. here's an updated link: https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=11043.0

Thing is, I'm not sure if Precision Power is restoring solenoids anymore, either.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
David at DSD Restorations was doing solenoid restoration for a while . You would have to check and see if still is.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
The old link from 2011 is broken because of a forum software change. here's an updated link: https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=11043.0

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry Forum."

Anyway, bgp429 and Jeff say and show that other original solenoids exist that do not have that curved artifact on the mount. More different vendor issues I assume.

I'll have to try plating a generic  aftermarket version and see how that works out before trying either one of the C7 versions.

Is there a plating thread? I need to find out if anyone is using  sodium dichromate crystals and concentrated sulfuric acid to make their own chromate solution. This is some of the nastiest stuff around (a bottom feed biotoxin) with cancer implications so this may not be the droid I'm looking for.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline sah62

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry Forum."

That topic is on my vendor recommendations board. Visibility is limited to registered members by design. Sorry I didn't catch that earlier.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)