Author Topic: Seam Sealer / sound deadner pictures for May 70 Dearborn B2  (Read 4666 times)

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
Seam Sealer / sound deadner pictures for May 70 Dearborn B2
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »
May 15, 1970 Dearborn built Boss 302

Folks,

Before stripping the underside of my B2, I took many pictures, however, much of the seam sealer and  sound deadner was obstructed by the application of undercoating. I am getting ready to complete the underside of the car and  have been going through all of the threads here gathering information to be as accurate as possible. Fortunately the undercoating protected some of the original primer and underside paint so I was able to match the greenish color pretty close (the car is yellow).

For the May 15 1970  timeframe  (or closest as possible), I would like some pictures showing the seam sealer application (rocker to floor pans, seatbelt anchors, trunk drop offs,  and others)?  Also any pictures showing the application of the sound deadner will be helpful.

A few observations:
1. The seam sealer that was used at the bottom of the trunk drop offs appeared to be light grey to a whitish in color and was very hard and was brushed. I am not sure if that was just  from age,  or not, but the rest of the seam sealer areas on the car,  such as around the seatbelt anchors was still somewhat pliable and black. Any thoughts on this?

2. On the passenger side,  rear floor pan area, the weld was very sloppy. I do not recall any seamsealer along this area when removing the undercoating. Should this be sealed?

Thanks again for all of  the help,
Tony
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Seam Sealer / sound deadner pictures for May 70 Dearborn B2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
Could not find in my collection any cars real close to yours but settled on cars from the 140000-170000 range
As a side note I'm finding more and more 70 Dearborn Boss's with the extra (Mach I style) floor sound deadener applied on standard and deluxe interiors. Ned to find more examples

May 15, 1970 Dearborn built Boss 302 ..............I would like some pictures showing the seam sealer application (rocker to floor pans, seatbelt anchors, trunk drop offs,  and others)?  Also any pictures showing the application of the sound deadener will be helpful.

ROCKER TO FLOOR  = Light and heavier applications

SEAT BELT SEALANT - Have seen both sprayed and brushed for some reason. no pattern identified yet :( but believe that if the front were brushed so were the rears and if one sprayed ... you get the drift. Likely the same guys applied both over the floor color/primer-sealer

TRUNK DROP SEALANT - Interesting IMHO that in this year and plant the sealant was applied all the way up and behind the valance area over the spot welds

An extra - this shows a shot/squirt of sound deadener on both sides above the exhaust tip location on the rear valance

A few observations:
1. The seam sealer that was used at the bottom of the trunk drop offs appeared to be light grey to a whitish in color and was very hard and was brushed. I am not sure if that was just  from age,  or not, but the rest of the seam sealer areas on the car,  such as around the seatbelt anchors was still somewhat pliable and black. Any thoughts on this?

Never seen a white or light colored sealer. On explanation for white or lightened seam sealer is exposure to the sun and heat but doubt this applies in your case given the location.

2. On the passenger side,  rear floor pan area, the weld was very sloppy. I do not recall any seamsealer along this area when removing the undercoating. Should this be sealed?

I've seen examples from all plants where sealer was used to cover and seal gaps between panels that connected to the interior. Often applied then wiped with a solvent rag or just a heavy application of sound deadener

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline app01

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:55:11 AM »
Jeff,

Thank you.

A few comments:
* Seat Belt Sealant- Mine was definitely brushed since I could see the circular brush markings under the undercoating- see pictures
* Trunk Dropoff- Attached is a picture that does show the sealer up behind the valance as you mentioned on some cars.
* Batch Paint: For future reference, attached is a picture is the batch primer under one of the exhaust  hangers clearly showing the metallic green color. There were a number of preserved areas.

Questions:
1. On the trunk dropoff, it is hard to tell with the undercoating, but it looks like the sealer on mine  is a good 3" wide where it goes up to the top of the drain. Most pictures seem to show a bead of about 1". Have you found this wide bead to be common?

2. Just for clarification, all of the  seam sealer shown in your pictures is applied after the batch primer, correct?

3. On your comment "I've seen examples from all plants where sealer was used to cover and seal gaps between panels that connected to the interior. Often applied then wiped with a solvent rag or just a heavy application of sound deadener"

Would this sealer been applied before or after the batch primer?

Thank you,

Tony
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:59:50 AM by app01 »
Currently own:
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
Questions:
1. On the trunk dropoff, it is hard to tell with the undercoating, but it looks like the sealer on mine  is a good 3" wide where it goes up to the top of the drain. Most pictures seem to show a bead of about 1". Have you found this wide bead to be common?

Wide bead common - no. Not from my observation. But if your convinced yours was originally done that way then document and reproduce

2. Just for clarification, all of the  seam sealer shown in your pictures is applied after the batch primer, correct?

In these locations, on this car yes

3. On your comment "I've seen examples from all plants where sealer was used to cover and seal gaps between panels that connected to the interior. Often applied then wiped with a solvent rag or just a heavy application of sound deadener"

Would this sealer been applied before or after the batch primer?

Believe all were done after. Consider that there were not application guns located everywhere. A issue like this would need to be identified and then address in an area set up for application of the produces normally. But that is only IMHO in this situation as we have plenty of examples where a pinch weld, headlight or grill black out was missed and it was corrected with a simple brush and quart container of black paint that seem to be located along the line in the second half of assembly
Jeff Speegle

Offline app01

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »
My last question on seam sealer- I promise

I just want to verify that seam sealer should NOT be on these 3 areas: see attached picture.

1. Upper back of  floor pan above rear seat belt anchor supports
2. Rear seam on floor pan
3. Floor pan to rear frame, both inside and outside of frame rails

As a side note, the green that you see there is very close to what I uncovered under the undercoating. It just looks a little gold from the flash. It was PPG Dark Celery Metallic 45737 and it was tinted to get a better match to the original.

Thanks
Tony
Currently own:
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
I just want to verify that seam sealer should NOT be on these 3 areas: see attached picture.

1. Upper back of  floor pan above rear seat belt anchor supports
2. Rear seam on floor pan
3. Floor pan to rear frame, both inside and outside of frame rails

Have not found those areas typically sealed in that manner on 70 Dearborn cars

Would suggest you apply some more sound deadener (just going on what I can see in the picture) on the rear frame rails - don't want "magic" overspray that disappears right at the edge of the wheelhouse ;)  original stuff was heavy and sloppy while the new products and tools (like the HVLP guns) make reproducing allot of overspray much more difficult - you have to be deliberate in applying enough to look like what was done in the day

As a side note, the green that you see there is very close to what I uncovered under the undercoating. It just looks a little gold from the flash. It was PPG Dark Celery Metallic 45737 and it was tinted to get a better match to the original.

A little darker - but its not new and shinny ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline app01

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
Thanks Jeff for the feedback. I will add more sound deadener there.
Currently own:
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com