Author Topic: '67 Nine Inch Rear Axle Housing Markings  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

'67 Nine Inch Rear Axle Housing Markings
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
Thought I would share photos of the markings I found on the 9-inch rear axle housing from my ’67 390 GTA Convertible (which was built at the San Jose plant in September 1966).

On top of the center section is what appears to be the number “318”.  Any ideas what this "318" number might represent?
I don't believe it is a rotation number, as the numbers on my fuse box are “38”, and it is my understanding that the fuse box number is supposed to be the last two digits of the rotation number...

Inside the center section is the letter “S”, and a big “X” – it should be noted that most restorers often overlook these two markings, as they cannot be seen after the rear end is reassembled  ;D ;D ;D
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '67 Nine Inch Rear Axle Housing Markings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »
Thought I would share photos of the markings I found on the 9-inch rear axle housing from my ’67 390 GTA Convertible (which was built at the San Jose plant in September 1966).

Thanks for sharing

On top of the center section is what appears to be the number “318”.  Any ideas what this "318" number might represent?
I don't believe it is a rotation number, as the numbers on my fuse box are “38”, and it is my understanding that the fuse box number is supposed to be the last two digits of the rotation number...

So you have only found the fuse box with the second rotation number so far?  Still believe (based on what has been found on other SJ cars built same and other years)  it is the rotation number. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
So you have only found the fuse box with the second rotation number so far?  Still believe (based on what has been found on other SJ cars built same and other years)  it is the rotation number.
Thanks Jeff,

Unfortunately, my car's original hood, rear valance, and heater plenum have all been replaced, so I can't check there.  Most of the radiator support and front frame rails were also painted over long ago (and the entire car shell has subsequently been sand blasted), so no luck there either...  I haven't found any ROT numbers on the seats either, but will keep an eye out for any markings when I re-upholster them...

How likely is it that the assembly line workers goofed up and put the "38" wiring harness in ROT "318"; or put the "318" rear-end in ROT "338"?

BTW - Here's a shot of the fuse box (please disregard the red carpet, it was only being used to make it a little more comfortable to crawl around inside the car)...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Unfortunately, my car's original hood, rear valance, and heater plenum have all been replaced, so I can't check there.  Most of the radiator support and front frame rails were also painted over long ago (and the entire car shell has subsequently been sand blasted), so no luck there either...  I haven't found any ROT numbers on the seats either, but will keep an eye out for any markings when I re-upholster them...

Check (possible) back side of original door panels - interior rear seat side panels

How likely is it that the assembly line workers goofed up and put the "38" wiring harness in ROT "318"; or put the "318" rear-end in ROT "338"?

Does the car have (rear end) have the correct gear ratio and open or closed as indicated on the Marti and door tag?  IF they match - don't thing its a possibility since a rear end that was suppose to be put in another car being placed on the belt in the wrong order and then be installed was most likely (based on production numbers) not the same gear ratio and it would likely be a 8" rearend -

Not much chance of that happening and getting past all the inspections ;)   More likely (doesn't happen often) would be someone writing the wrong number or particle on the fuse box
Jeff Speegle

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the delay in responding... 

I don't believe I saw any ROT markings on the door panels or rear seat side panels in the past, but I'll look at them again when I get home tonight...

Yes, the rear end has the correct 3.00:1 gear ratio (which matches the "1" on the door tag). 
BTW - The rear axle tag reads:

WES-F
     3   00  6HE  933

"6HE" would correspond to a build date during the 5th week of August 1966 - just four weeks before the car was assembled, so I'm about 99% sure that this is the original rear end that was installed on the assembly line in September 1966...
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »
No problem - we all get busy ;)

Yes it appears that its the original to the car - so likely a typo or similar issue rather than the wrong rearend in the wrong car

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle