Author Topic: "Black out" on steering box for 1964 1/2 Mustang  (Read 10067 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: "Black out" on steering box for 1964 1/2 Mustang
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
What was the purpose of blacking out the steering gear box when on light colored interiors you could still see the steering column coming through the firewall?

Exactly as the name implies - it was designed to black out the steering box - make it harder to see and possibly to keep a rusty chunk of metal from being seen in the engine compartment. A bit unusual by Ford's standards since under hood and trunk they didn't worry much about finishes as they did on the exterior or interior where there are many examples where they blacked things out from view or even cared about the quality of the exterior paint surface

The "light" steering columns was unaffected by the black out process since it appears (when done) that it only effected (main focus) the top surface of the steering box

Agree with azscj this was not done on all cars at any plant in any year. Maybe there is a pattern that we have not been able to document or establish so at this time either way is OK and would suggest to any owner only reproduce it if you find evidence of it
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »
Here's my example, Dearborn sched build date 3/24/64

Does anyone have a picture of one they've restored and applied the blackout to?
With the amount of black that's flaked off its hard to tell where to stop and what the edges should look like.
I was thinking to apply with a brush, is it recommended to attempt that installed as per the factory?
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »
Here's my example, Dearborn sched build date 3/24/64

Does anyone have a picture of one they've restored and applied the blackout to?
With the amount of black that's flaked off its hard to tell where to stop and what the edges should look like.
I was thinking to apply with a brush, is it recommended to attempt that installed as per the factory?
The best way to get the historic look is to apply the black like the factory did and easier too IMO. I use a 2 inch brush. Don't need to be fancy or careful . They weren't .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »

I would do it once installed - just much easier IMHO and then the paint runs will travel as they naturally will and and any splatter ends up as it might have on the line. Sometimes were over think things and make things more difficult than they need to be. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 12:24:12 AM »
Late '65 Dearborn example.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 12:28:39 AM »
2 Jan '65 San Jose examples
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 12:54:50 AM »
Bob, Jeff and Charles
Thanks for your comments and examples, it sets the record straight.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn