Author Topic: Do I have the right rear springs?  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Keithc8

Do I have the right rear springs?
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
 I was checking the rear springs numbers on my 69 GT-500 and was wondering if I had the right ones. The numbers I found on the small leaf was C9ZA-5556 with what looks like a 8 B and what looks like a backwards B.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Do I have the right rear springs?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I was checking the rear springs numbers on my 69 GT-500 and was wondering if I had the right ones. The numbers I found on the small leaf was C9ZA-5556 with what looks like a 8 B and what looks like a backwards B.

Stamping look something like this?  - With three spring clamps on the assy ?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:32 AM »
 Yes that looks to be what they are. I have another set that has a straight bottom spring with just two clamps on the spring set that I think may have come of the car. I have two cars apart right now. One is a 69 R code automatic that was built about Nov of 68 and the other is this car which is a 69 Shelby GT-500 4 speed built March 7Th, 69. I am wondering if my guys may have the springs mixed up between the cars while they were cleaning around the shop. The other springs have a number on them but I can not quite make it out. I thought some of the Shelby cars came with a straight bottom spring with only 2 clamps.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:17 AM »
Yes that looks to be what they are. I have another set that has a straight bottom spring with just two clamps on the spring set that I think may have come of the car. I have two cars apart right now. One is a 69 R code automatic that was built about Nov of 68 and the other is this car which is a 69 Shelby GT-500 4 speed built March 7Th, 69.

Just going by your description I posted the picture above - its from a 69 CJ NOT a Shelby.

I am wondering if my guys may have the springs mixed up between the cars while they were cleaning around the shop. The other springs have a number on them but I can not quite make it out. I thought some of the Shelby cars came with a straight bottom spring with only 2 clamps.

So, yes it appears they mixed up the springs

The Shelby would have a fairly flat short spring with a different marking and style from that shown above as well as only two clamps (none on the short leaf)

Also a fairly thin rubber pad between the short leaf and the rest of the assy
Jeff Speegle

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
 Sounds like I will be changing the rear springs out as well. What markings would you put on the Shelby springs.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
Sounds like I will be changing the rear springs out as well. What markings would you put on the Shelby springs

Long discussion on that point last year with a couple of differing opinions and very little solid IMHO proof at this point. Because of that I removed the paint marks from the 69 I'm completing and will leave them off until I get at least a small handful of unrestored cars that all have the same thing

Trying to lead by example in this subject
Jeff Speegle

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »
 Do you have the correct number for the Shelby rear springs. I think the ones that I have came of the car and were right. I thought they were wrong becaue I had never sen any like them. They have the straight bottom spring with the rounded edges and the two springs clamps instead of the three.

Thanks, Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:41:41 PM »
Do you have the correct number for the Shelby rear springs. I think the ones that I have came of the car and were right. I thought they were wrong becaue I had never sen any like them. They have the straight bottom spring with the rounded edges and the two springs clamps instead of the three.

I believe that by the time your car was built they were marked S9MS5560A

Jeff Speegle

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »
 Spoke with Ed and gave him the numbers on the springs which were the date they were made and they sounded correct for the car. They look like the ones that you have posted. We are in the pocess of re-doning them for installation

Thanks, Keith