Author Topic: Early Production Versus Later Production  (Read 2184 times)

Offline ceswert

• Silver Level Subscriber
Early Production Versus Later Production
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
I know these valuation questions can be frustrating but...If I have 2 identical Shelby's with the exception that one is assigned a sequence number that is considered early production, and the other is considered later production , is there a basis for one of the cars to carry a higher valuation say in a professional appraisal? For me personally I am biased towards early cars but then if I had a choice between an early automatic and a later 4 speed, I would be inclined to go with the 4 speed. I think I just answered my own question. Valuation is assessed in the eye of the beholder.
67' Shelby GT 350 nm blue/4sp/#0089
07' Shelby Super Snake 725hp/white/#0073
71' Mach 1 429cj grabber blue/4 sp./ac

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Early Production Versus Later Production
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
Very subjective - and most "professional" appraisers barely understand Shelby's so I would not bet on what they might say.

In general I would agree that a 4 speed will bring more dollars (not saying how much difference) over an automatic.

Often in the sea of cars owners and buyers want their car to stand out so the seek out the unusual features and in your example (likely 67 :) cars with the lights in the scoops can be slightly more in demand as are, for 65 Shelby's,  single or double digit cars.  In the case of 69-70's you are allot more likely to find a Drag Pak car if you look at 70's rather than 69's so it depends

At the same time early 67 cars are more likely, depending on your definition of an "early car, more likely a small block GT350 rather than (normally) the higher valued GT500 so the early thing can work against this combination at times depending on the potential buyer

Of course there are no two exactly alike cars so real true comparison is never possible. Leaving us with speculation and guessing

Its all about the demand and less on the rarity Though sometimes they go hand in hand ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ceswert

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: Early Production Versus Later Production
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »
Good points. I have seen only one GT500 with Lemans lights.
67' Shelby GT 350 nm blue/4sp/#0089
07' Shelby Super Snake 725hp/white/#0073
71' Mach 1 429cj grabber blue/4 sp./ac