Author Topic: Front suspension finish & paint marks - Oct 64 SJ Hipo  (Read 17898 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front suspension finish & paint marks - Oct 64 SJ Hipo
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
It looks like the other side spindle might have had a white paint mark?

Are these the spindles from the same car or another? 

Are they C5DA's from the same period?

Just trying to view your pictures in the same context.  IF your looking at these in person it may be white but have found that in pictures white is often and altered other color due to the elements or other reactions over the years.  Just an observations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
Jeff - They are both off the same 9/65 scheduled build SJ car and the "white" looked yellow but where it was scratched there was white underneath.  I will say that the car was hit on the right side in 1968 so maybe there is a remote chance that this spindle was replaced at that time.  I doubt it, but possible.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
Jeff - went back in old pics and found red only on the upper inside of drivers knuckle, whereas teal is on both upper & lower inside of passenger knuckle.  Also bits of red on outside of drivers upper arm. 

I guess I'll go with what i found, which is

=============================================================================
Spindle markings found:

C5DA spindles on a Oct 64 SJ K code V8, which came came with the special handling package and manual steering.  Also disc brakes on mine. 

- drivers side
   - pink sloppy on arms, bottom
   - blue mark on outside of upper arm.
   - bits of red on outside top of arm
   - pink marks on inside of upper & lower knuckles
   - bits of red on inside of upper knuckle
   - possibly traces of yellow on inside of upper & lower knuckles, but too hard to tell.
- passenger side
   - pink sloppy on arms, bottom   
   - teal marks on inside of upper & lower knuckles

=============================================================================

I know you're hitting you're limit on these, so no problem if you don't want to overreach.  So here goes,..hopefully to start wrapping up...

1) You said in an earlier post that you'd seen the mark on the upper vertical arm on others, was that the pink or blue?  Also, think the blue might be the "this side up" mark?

2) You mentioned the color on the lower part facing the arm was one of two colors you'd seen before, was that the pink?  (Again in an earlier post)

3) where and what is the test mark you mentioned?

4)  think the teal marks (inside of upper & lower knuckles, pass side) probably be to indicate ball joint nuts tightened?  Same for the pink marks in same location on drivers side.

Also, on rockhouses response, don't think I'm finding a white mark.  Think its just faded pink.

Any other sugesstions please let me know.  As always, thanks for the great help

Rich
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:48:34 AM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
If anyone else has a car from this plant / time period (SJ, Oct 64), I'd be interested to compare spindle markings..  K code V8 in my case, which cam came with the special handling package and manual steering.  Also disc brakes on mine.  C5DA spindles.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:24:30 AM by livetoride60 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
Include the casting number of the spindle also - think that is an important piece of the puzzle as well as application. Don't want to be mixing 6 cyl with V8 and so on ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »
I have not taken my front suspension a part yet but will try to clean up what I can.  My car built 20 days after yours but it is a A code with an automatic transmission.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
I have not taken my front suspension a part yet but will try to clean up what I can.  My car built 20 days after yours but it is a A code with an automatic transmission.

Thanks Chris.

Include the casting number of the spindle also - think that is an important piece of the puzzle as well as application. Don't want to be mixing 6 cyl with V8 and so on ;)

Went back and added that information.  Also made "Spindle markings found" section above more clear.

In your pictures above I saw the red mentioned on the outer surface of the upper spindle while the teal (like the lower knuckle) was on the inner surface. Are we talking about these two marks? We don't want to compare markings from different locations IMHO

Re-correcting my answer to this.  Went back through old pictures and found there WAS also a bit of red on the inside of the drivers upper knuckle, but not on the lower knuckle.  Pic below.  This is in addition to bits of red on the outer surface of drivers upper arm.  Updated this info in the "Spindle markings" section above.

Fun stuff.  :)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
I've seen red 'tick' marks on Dearborn car suspension parts, most likely quality control to denote torque complete.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
I know you're hitting you're limit on these, so no problem if you don't want to overreach.  So here goes,..hopefully to start wrapping up...

1) You said in an earlier post that you'd seen the mark on the upper vertical arm on others, was that the pink or blue?  Also, think the blue might be the "this side up" mark?

This one? 

No don't believe that is the purpose. Inner marks are easier to see both at the same time and seeing those marks are not obstructed by the brake drum and such if installed first when assembling the sub assemblies on a bench prior to being fitted as a unit to the unibody

2) You mentioned the color on the lower part facing the arm was one of two colors you'd seen before, was that the pink?  (Again in an earlier post)

I've often found pink and yellow used on the steering arm or in some examples both

3) where and what is the test mark you mentioned?

4)  think the teal marks (inside of upper & lower knuckles, pass side) probably be to indicate ball joint nuts tightened?  Same for the pink marks in same location on drivers side.

Don't believe so as mentioned believe that the small dots or marks on the inside knuckle surface as being up and down marks

As Charles mentioned have seen 65 Dearborn with the red lines likely related to tightening but have never seen any indication mark for suspension on San Jose. At this point don't believe that was part of their practices during 65
Jeff Speegle

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
Got my center link cleaned up.  Looks like a pink mark on the end for the steering box.  Also has blue marks near on the next hole over, for drivers tie rod.  Not sure this is original, as may be from the engine repaint.  Ever seen blue like that?

Also, the finish looks like black paint, but didn't bubble up with stripper, although the stripper removed it.  Assume it's the oil quench residue. 

Not seeing any evidence yet of a "stripe" near that drivers tie rod hole like I've seen on others.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
Spindles done.  I slopped the pink on and let it run just like they did. 

Comments are welcome if you notice any issues.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:56 PM »
Looks good - those up and down marks at the knuckles look allot bigger than normally found. Typically I find them the size of maybe a half of the diameter of a pencil eraser . just a don't and likely not applied with a brush. Similar to what you found originally

Know we're being picky - but you asked :)

Machined surfaces appear to be different in look. Might just be the flash or angle. Looking at the one picture from the back side the upper (for example) on the left looks shinier than the one on the right. Much of the caliper bracket looks unmachined and monotone
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:22:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
Looks good - those up and down marks at the knuckles look allot bigger than normally found. Typically I find them the size of maybe a half of the diameter of a pencil eraser . just a don't and likely not applied with a brush. Similar to what you found originally

Ok, noted.  Thanks Jeff.

I'm also suspicious of that blue mark.  May have been from the twilight turquoise repaint it got, but would have been difficult to get it in that location since it's protected by the rotor shield.  As you mentioned earlier, not a lot of examples from this period, so left it there.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 09:33:45 PM »
Know we're being picky - but you asked :)

No problem...that's why I did. 

The upper green one is that big on the original.  If you go to reply #12 you can see it.  The reds are probably too big tho.

Machined surfaces appear to be different in look. Might just be the flash or angle. Looking at the one picture from the back side the upper (for example) on the left looks shinier than the one on the right. Much of the caliper bracket looks unmachined and monotone

It is the flash, for the spindles anyway.  All machined surfaces on them are similar and shiny.  The calipers are another story.  I wondered if you'd catch that.  :)  Have to go back and do those surfaces. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:37:19 PM by livetoride60 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 12:21:19 AM »
Spindles done.  I slopped the pink on and let it run just like they did. 

Comments are welcome if you notice any issues.
In the second picture the holes in the back of the spindle where they were held in a jig were typically machined metal down into the hole. Yours looks like dark metal. Looks very good other then a little too much pink as Jeff mentioned.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby