Author Topic: Front suspension finish & paint marks - Oct 64 SJ Hipo  (Read 17876 times)

Offline livetoride60

Re: Front suspension finish & paint marks - Oct 64 SJ Hipo
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »
In the second picture the holes in the back of the spindle where they were held in a jig were typically machined metal down into the hole. Yours looks like dark metal. Looks very good other then a little too much pink as Jeff mentioned.

Thanks Bob.  So machined just inside the hole, like it was drilled?

Also on the pink, are you talking about just the pink on the knuckles being too much, or the pink on the arms as well.  That pink on the arms pretty closely matches what was on my originals.  You can see it in some of the earlier pics in this post.  There really was quite a bit.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:09:10 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:08 PM »
Thanks Bob.  So machined just inside the hole, like it was drilled?

Also on the pink, are you talking about just the pink on the knuckles being too much, or the pink on the arms as well.  That pink on the arms pretty closely matches what was on my originals.  You can see it in some of the earlier pics in this post.  There really was quite a bit.
The hole was completed after the casting process. There may have been a depression of some kind to start with in the raw casting. The sides and bottom of the hole would be machined metal as would be seen if drilled . The paint on the upright portion of the spindle and the arm in the unrestored spindle spindle are more then is typically seen to begin with. The restored spindle looks to have even more paint then was on the unrestored spindle. Less is more in this instance is what I guess I am trying to say.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 10:51:28 PM »
The hole was completed after the casting process. There may have been a depression of some kind to start with in the raw casting. The sides and bottom of the hole would be machined metal as would be seen if drilled . The paint on the upright portion of the spindle and the arm in the unrestored spindle spindle are more then is typically seen to begin with. The restored spindle looks to have even more paint then was on the unrestored spindle. Less is more in this instance is what I guess I am trying to say.

Ok, understand.  Thanks. 

I think the paint guy was having a good day that day.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »
Ok, understand.  Thanks. 

I think the paint guy was having a good day that day.
He was having some kind of day. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 01:54:01 PM »
He was having some kind of day. ;D

Yep!

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 09:49:40 PM »
Strut rods - natural steel with possible paint marks on the bottom side (side with dash mark) near the end.  - Haven't seen ones there before. Have seen Dearborn ones (non- K code) marked elsewhere

Strut rod stops - natural steel with redish mark / dot - Typical non- K code thing. Have been found on both side and sometimes only on drivers side one

Sorry to revive an old topic but redoing my front suspension and found a red dot on my driver side stop.  Nothing on the passenger side though.  Assume that is normal for late Oct 64 SJ.  Will be soaking the strut rods soon to report on any markings there and spindles...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 03:13:56 AM »
Sorry to revive an old topic but redoing my front suspension and found a red dot on my driver side stop.  Nothing on the passenger side though.  Assume that is normal for late Oct 64 SJ.  Will be soaking the strut rods soon to report on any markings there and spindles...

Chris it might help if you post also with the discovery of a mark which spindles you have. Just post the casting numbers. Just a thought to keep the apples with the apples ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 10:11:59 PM »
As before found a red mark on the inner side of the stop but also found what appears to be one on the outside. Is this common?
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »
As before found a red mark on the inner side of the stop but also found what appears to be one on the outside. Is this common?

Looks like a run from the paint daub that got on the other side.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »

+1
Jeff Speegle

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2016, 08:40:04 PM »

Chris - mine only had the red dot on the drivers side stop as well.  See pics in 1st post on page 1 of this thread.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »

So the question is, do I duplicate that or leave that off when I restore this piece?
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
Personal preference IMO.  I replicated every sloppy drip on mine just cause I like to retain how it was.  Some days I think twice about it, but overall Im happy.

As Jeff pointed out to me a while back, the more "out of the norm" it is, the more you might have to explain to judges or back it up with pictures....or to every person at a car show who notices.

At least that's what I thought you meant Jeff.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:25:35 PM by livetoride60 »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
I don't see a problem replicating the run.  Especially since you have a pic of the original showing the detail.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »
As Jeff pointed out to me a while back, the more "out of the norm" it is, the more you might have to explain to judges or back it up with pictures....or to every person at a car show who notices.

At least that's what I thought you meant Jeff.

That is the nature of the beast. Have no problem with reproducing what you find just be prepared 'cause someone will or should eventually ask. In this case its under the car and less likely to be seen by the general public and only by a judge or someone on this forum    ::)
Jeff Speegle