Author Topic: Front suspension finish & paint marks - Oct 64 SJ Hipo  (Read 17834 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Front suspension finish & paint marks - Oct 64 SJ Hipo
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
I did remove the boot on the driver side and found a blue mark under where it sits that would not be visible once a new boot is installed.  Wiped away though, not sure what that could have been...
I had a similar blue mark, I don't remember the side, but Jeff was unaware of any meaning.
I looked for a used tie rod end seal. It's cold and dark out there. It's tomorrow's exercise.
The first five pictures show my process for clean-up.
The last one is of my "reward".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
Question, is the tie rod sleeve supposed to be as dark as the tie rods themselves? I did nothing to the tie rods as they are NOS pieces a acquired.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
Question, is the tie rod sleeve supposed to be as dark as the tie rods themselves? I did nothing to the tie rods as they are NOS pieces a acquired.

The adjuster sleeve is made from a different metal  and through a different process so IMHO not its normally not as dark as the cast heat treated tie rods.

Even with the digital pictures I thick we can see the difference in the picture you posted. On my monitor the cast sections of the tie rods are a bit light but could be lighting, flash or just the darn digital camera doing what they do.  Have a set of 66 "campaign" /service recall tie rods around some where I should find   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stuie

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
Of all the original front coil springs I've removed from early Mustangs 99.9% have all had evidence of black paint on them, especially up top under the spring pad. It appears to be a low grade paint as it washes away easily with lacquer thinner and I don't think the heat treatment finish would be affected by lacquer thinner.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
Of all the original front coil springs I've removed from early Mustangs 99.9% have all had evidence of black paint on them, especially up top under the spring pad. It appears to be a low grade paint as it washes away easily with lacquer thinner and I don't think the heat treatment finish would be affected by lacquer thinner.

Got to ask - what plant? since we're discussing San Jose in this thread.

Low grade black is not what others have been finding/describing when they believe they have found black. Lacquer thinner has not removed it

Now allot of these were painted by owners and shops of the years maybe that is what you have been seeing. But as mentioned my observations since the 70's has been the exact opposite of yours
Jeff Speegle

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
in general, are all the nuts including castle nuts zinc/cad plated?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
In general, per the 64-65 Mustang Chassis Manual, yes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
As mentioned the sleeve is not as dark as the tie rods. It is somewhat common to see the clamps of the sleeve a slightly darker finish then the sleeve. They most likely were heat treated or a similar process because when you blast them they look the same as the sleeve.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »

On 65-66, I've found gold dichromate on original castle nuts that attach to the ball joint studs (through the spindles).
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »

The 3 unrestored  66's I have (Dearborn) have black painted front springs.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
It is becoming apparent that the likelihood of plant differences exists in this case. At least between SJ and Dearborn.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
are the castle nuts standard hardware and can be found at local stores(ie ace hardware) or is this an AMK item?
my auto parts store has a nut that is fluted at the top.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
are the castle nuts standard hardware and can be found at local stores(ie ace hardware) or is this an AMK item?

I've found them at hardware stores but you have to make sure you matching all the details. There are ones with rounded and square bottoms to the cut outs (or what ever the right term is) short ones and tall ones also

Your local stores may be different
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
I just encountered this. The ones at ace are too short. The ones from npd are .61 tall. I found the others were loose and the cotter pin was only keeping it on the threads. I changed them out and everything appears tight now
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
my auto parts store has a nut that is fluted at the top.
Play it safe and get a a AMK kit if you can't source originals and have them replated. I doubt the auto parts store or Ace nuts  will be the same looking or the same finish.   It would not be consistent and would be ridicules IMO to cut corners at this point given all of the other in depth details you have tried to incorporate into your car. Especially since the concours correct parts were talking about are less then 20.00.