Author Topic: 68 X Code Convertible Restoration  (Read 2821 times)

Offline X Code

68 X Code Convertible Restoration
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
Hello,
New to this forum. I have the odd duck of Mustangs. it's a 1968 convertible 390 2V X Code, only 67 ever built. It is a very original car, 73,000 miles. All numbers matching to include engine block. I have this car well underway of restoration to completely original as born , my question to the forum experts is about the undercarriage of the car. All of the floor pans are in excellent shape and with a very good cleaning the underside is pretty good. The original dark red oxide paint cleaned up and even all of the little drip marks are in tact. the issue is where the undercoating is flaking or has come off. I have be removing any of this that is loose but then I have uneven or what I'll call broken undercoating along with some scratches from scraping. I wanted to leave the underside as original but in order to do this there will be some touch up areas done. should I do this or just completely re-do the bottom of the car? Also, I would be very interested in hearing what everyones thoughts of value of the car after restored. Marti deluxe report shows with options, one of one.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 68 X Code Convertible Restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
What is the final goal you're shooting for here? 

As far as value of an X code convertible, I would say it would be worth more than a smallblock car, but maybe a little less or possibly the same as an S code.  IMHO, the 2V hurts the value as the car is non-performance oriented.  It's a case where the car is rare, but the truth of the matter is it's rare because it wasn't something someone would normally choose over an S code.  So, rare in numbers does not always equate to higher value.  Others may weigh in with different opinions.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »
What is the final goal you're shooting for here? 

As far as value of an X code convertible, I would say it would be worth more than a smallblock car, but maybe a little less or possibly the same as an S code.  IMHO, the 2V hurts the value as the car is non-performance oriented.  It's a case where the car is rare, but the truth of the matter is it's rare because it wasn't something someone would normally choose over an S code.  So, rare in numbers does not always equate to higher value.  Others may weigh in with different opinions.
I weigh in with the same opinion. :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline X Code

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 01:18:17 AM »
My Goal is to keep the car original as possible, as it is so rare I don't believe it should be cloned or changed. I understand the performance issue, but the car is still part of Ford history of something they tried and it didn't work out so well. The car has never been messed with and is in just to good of shape not to keep it totally original. I was trying to find opinions or if anyone has done a car with new paint, interior and all mechanical's but kept the undercarriage un-touched. I have somewhat of the same thing with the rear end housing, it has factory white markings on the rear center housing that I would like to retain but would need to still paint the axle tubes as they are not looking very good. Doing this would obviously show new paint against old paint.  I was thinking that leaving the painted marking that the factory worker did would be better than re-crating it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »
My Goal is to keep the car original as possible, as it is so rare I don't believe it should be cloned or changed................Doing this would obviously show new paint against old paint.  I was thinking that leaving the painted marking that the factory worker did would be better than re-crating it.

IMHO you have to choose between the unrestored and restored in most cases - trying to find a spot in between only leaves you with mix messages to people who look at the car  and once you start "freshening things up" anything that might be original becomes a question mark for most people. I'm right there with one of my cars - but my choice and the car will never go to a show - unless its parked in the parking lot ;) and instead of freshening up those areas that still retain marks and such I've just oiled the parts and left them for the next owner

If its too far gone then restore it (just my opinion) unless you just want to drive the car. In that case document what you find and return it after/during the restoration. 

Good luck with your choice but get a plan/vision before you start and stick to it changing your mind sometimes has unintended consequences

BTW a friend as a unfinished (all the parts done and painted) X code Calif Special
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
I agree with the opinions above. I think the areas that look good to you now will look bad after you restore the other areas. There are a lot of great techniques for replicating the factory marks, over sprays and sealers.
I bought a car last year that had a great looking under carriage and the interior is about 90% original but it has had a repaint. I have decided to drive it for 4 or 5 years and then restore it.
Good luck with what you choose   

Offline X Code

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Great opinions from everyone, I agree it's kinda the weakest link issue. I will completely re-finish everything, with what I'm starting with it will go well. I have very good documentation and photos of all of the work being done and what I started with.
I do need two things for this car, maybe someone can help. Need a original 2V carb (believe it needs to be Autolite 2100) and a original distributor. These are the only things missing. Previous owner installed a 4V and intake, good news they saved the original intake and carb spacer.

Offline Oz390

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
Rare find, an while the X is not a big $ car, really like your attitude about keeping "as it was".

Pony Carbs book does not list the Mustang X specifically, but the 68 X 390 2V does note the Autolite 2011 C8AF-M or AM (auto) and C8AF-N, AN (manual) 2100 w/1.23 venturi.  One could assume the same carb for the low production Mustangs as on the other full size cars with the engine?

I got an original rebuilt date correct 2100 for my GTCS a while back from this site, no issues, nice part.  Maybe others can chime in with more details, options.  IIRC they were all C6'6 and the site below lists the -AM as available, so you may be in luck.

http://www.gottafishcarburetors.com/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:44:23 PM by Oz390 »
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline X Code

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »
Ox390, thank you for the information, cool web site. The issue as you know is there is a bit of guess work based on very little information available for this car. Your correct that these only came with C6 auto. From all information that I can find they also came with factory dual exhaust, can anyone confirm this as fact?

Offline Oz390

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
My X code was dual exhaust, looked factory, correct reinforcements under the seats, and is not called out as an option on the Marti.  So I think you are correct in that they were all transverse dual exhaust.

Sadly is is not being restored to original, wrong engine, wrong trans... I am using it to build a repli-bute (blasphemy!  ;) ) EXP-500... so will stay a big block, and be modified to suit the build using original or period correct repro parts for the most part.

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
For the 1968 Cougar with the same X-code 390-2V, we have found them with C8WF-9510-A carburetors.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline X Code

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
Krelboyne, any thoughts on a distributor? I would assume from the same X code Cougar? Thanks for the carb info.

Oz390, No "Blasphemy", my original thoughts when looking for a convertible was to build a Shelby Clone. Just couldn't do it to this car because  the original drivetrain still being intact.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
Yes, My research shows C8AF-12127-N, and C8WF-12127-B are correct per the Ford MPC. Although I haven't found the C8AF-N version.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline X Code

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Thought I would send some photos of some of the original markings, tags and such. Not sure if anyone achieves these types of things for any reference. I have photos of the undercarriage that show all of the little pock marks, overspray and even runs?? Let me know if I should post or if I'm posting where I shouldn't be. Remember i'm a new guy.

8R03X
San Jose 6/6/68 build date

76A
I
2G
05F
u

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 11:41:56 PM »
In this thread is just fine since you've already provided the cars info - at least enough for the people who don't own one or a car from that time and plant to be aware to not apply the details ;)

Sure they will be a nice addition to my small collection of pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)