Author Topic: 68 X Code Convertible Restoration  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Oz390

Re: 68 X Code Convertible Restoration
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 03:19:04 AM »
A link to some info from my X code you may find of interest...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4056.msg22375#msg22375

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline X Code

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »
comments welcome, x-code on Ebay now.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:12 AM »
I read the whole listing, and you asked for comments...

I'm sorry that you felt to let it go after reworking it. It seems to me, just in my opinion, you might have left it as an "unrestored" or as a "barn find" since in the end, you listed it for sale. I feel this way  mostly because (as written in the listing) the quality of paint etc., parts replacement and so on. I feel that many restorers who may have considered this project before, may now opt-out. I am pleased you did leave alone the undercarriage and the likes but things like all new suspension is to me, a big "minus". Maybe the new owner will not feel the need to sell everything you replaced and saved asside on eBay or something. Maybe that new owner will wish to go further in the restoration process than you were able or willing to go.

Mostly, I hope your reserve will be met and it finds a good new home. Usually an investment into a project like this does not return to "actual money spent" in the initial purchase and costs of parts/time/body shop work etc. neccesary to "get it right"  Hopefully, that is not true in this case and "everyone wins" even the buyer.

I liked what you wrote last year about preserving a bit of Mustang history that wasn't as famous as say an "S-Code" car, an "R-Code", a Boss or a Shelby. Recently, there was another such case in discussion here at this Concours Mustang site about a 69 Mustang "E" with a rare 250 six cylinder. These cars would do their history better as a "Labor of Love" as opposed to being done as an investment. I think that would be the same with an "X-Code convertible". Well, those are my thoughts. But I am biased...I am restoring my first car, a 67 Coupe that I could never re-Coupe my investments with also...but I AM doing mine as a Labor of Love. I never intend to sell it but I know one day I will die. After I am gone, I hope the car has the ability to live on to tell at least ONE SENTENCE in the history books of the Classic Mustangs.

Richard
Richard Urch
MCA Certified Judge, 67-68

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments