Author Topic: New Guy Question - 67 GT Rear Axle and Spring Restoration  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Linc

• 67 Fastback GT - Clearwater Aqua
New Guy Question - 67 GT Rear Axle and Spring Restoration
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
I am looking for information on the appropriate finishes for all related items and hardware for the
rear axle and leaf springs. Also, if an item is natural finish, what are you using to protect it and
maintain the appearance that is MCA approved.
============================================
      1967 Dearborn Fastback - Clearwater Aqua - 7F02A120xxx
       I am Linc....  What more could you possibly need to know.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New Guy Question - 67 GT Rear Axle and Spring Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
First welcome to the site.

For your answer you might try the search feature above. There are many threads discussing the "natural" heat treated look for the rear and front springs and how to maintain/protect them.

The library also has an article titled - Natural Finishes- Reproducing that should answer some of your questions

As far as the rearend itself. the main housing is painted semi-gloss black with a unpainted surface/face where the third member was attached. Retaining studs are dark bare steel as are the backing plates to rear end housing studs for your application.

As far as "MCA Approved"  There are no "approved" methods and we don't tend to slant our answers here on a particular organization unless the question is posted in the MCA (for example) section of the site. More interested in what is/was original and what works as both should no negative effects when showing pretty much anywhere ;)

Again welcome to the site - hope you find the information and experiences here helpful in your endeavours
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Linc

• 67 Fastback GT - Clearwater Aqua
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:19:52 AM »
Thanks for the response. I did find a large white blotch on both axle tubes with a while inconsistent line between the splotches
on the rear of the axle. What might this have been for? Car is a Dearborn manufactured fastback.
      1967 Dearborn Fastback - Clearwater Aqua - 7F02A120xxx
       I am Linc....  What more could you possibly need to know.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »
Thanks for the response. I did find a large white blotch on both axle tubes with a while inconsistent line between the splotches
on the rear of the axle. What might this have been for? Car is a Dearborn manufactured fastback.

Not sure if I'm understanding what you found - sounds like a daub or blotch at each end with a line all the way across the axle housing ???

Picture might work better
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)