Author Topic: 65 Dearborn Underbody Painting Detail  (Read 2681 times)

Offline 1965 t5

65 Dearborn Underbody Painting Detail
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:00:28 AM »
I have my 65 vert going in for pain soon (finally).  I have a few questions to guide the shop:

1) Do the front and rear wheelwells get any paint overspray?

2) Were the cars originally painted with doors and fenders on or off?

3) Any overspray on any front or rear suspension and steering parts?

4) How far under the car (floorboards) should overspray cover/ touch?

5) Do the backside of front fenders get painted in full or what is their base color on backside?

Thanks for your help!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Dearborn Underbody Painting Detail
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
Firstly if you provide when the car was built we can provide more details as patterns an practices can differ throughout a production year

Some of these details have been illustrated in other threads - a good start might be to search those out as a starting point - remembering to look only at 65 Dearborn examples

I have my 65 vert going in for pain soon (finally).  I have a few questions to guide the shop:

1) Do the front and rear wheelwells get any paint overspray?

Front wheelwells before sound deadener but after seam sealer some direct and some oversppray depending on what panels

Rear wheelwells - direct paint application over sound deadener

2) Were the cars originally painted with doors and fenders on or off?

Car unibodies were painted with doors, trunk lids and rear valance (all screws installed but hanging down ward at bottom - Dearborn)  and (most time periods) end caps loosely/spaced outward approx 1/4-1/2"

3) Any overspray on any front or rear suspension and steering parts?

No installed till much later

4) How far under the car (floorboards) should overspray cover/ touch?

Body color or pinch weld black out overspray?

For body color depends on where on the floor your referring to. Differs also on the painter, possibly their height, age and effort that day. ALso the amount of contrast between the exterior color and the color of the floor board color from the firewall rearward makes a difference, visually.  Normally there is a shadow produced by the pinchweld - then overspray between 2 feet inward to examples where heavy overspray was applied half way towards the driveline tunnel. At the rearend area/rear wheel wells it differs because of angle and shape of the panels

5) Do the backside of front fenders get painted in full or what is their base color on backside?

Depends - At least good coverage on the logical back surfaces directly behind the surfaces fully painted - Examples wheel lips, headlight & valance attachment face surfaces and the back edge at the door opening. To sometimes a fairly nice full coverage of the back side. IF we knew when your car was built we might be able to see what other cars were painted like around the same time. 

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:28:07 AM »
JEff thank you for the initial reply and help!!  My car is a Jan 11, 65 build. 

Your reply brings up more questions:

Is there overspray from the black pinch weld paint?

It sounds like fenders were painted off the car, do you have any pictures of their backside?  What color primer was used on the backside, as I suspect some primer will show through.

I have also seen a few cars of same era that have red primer behind the front springs, black undercoat on the outer side of inner fenders and black floors.  Mine had black floors underneath.  What should that shock tower area look like?

Thanks again!!

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:47 AM »
this video will help with some of your questions-- 8)

Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »
My car is a Jan 11, 65 build. 

Your reply brings up more questions:
Is there overspray from the black pinch weld paint?

Of course - process, distance and other details are covered in a number of other threads

It sounds like fenders were painted off the car, do you have any pictures of their backside?  What color primer was used on the backside, as I suspect some primer will show through.

Depends on how much paint the painter applied. Red oxide colored  would be the last coat of on the bottom of the fenders with possibly some light gray primer (very little) in some area but you should get by with out that

Think there is others shots of this on the site. Not going to be able to get to pictures for a few days

I have also seen a few cars of same era that have red primer behind the front springs, black undercoat on the outer side of inner fenders and black floors.  Mine had black floors underneath.  What should that shock tower area look like?

As discussed in other discussions most likely your car had a very dark batch color applied to the floors rather than true black. You can see the difference if you shot a black panel and compare it directly to the factory finish

The front wheelwells will have a final coat of sound deadener over everything (well 60-80% )  when you get done so allot of the details will be covered but normally that plant and year, the front wheel wells are a combination of red oxide color, body color and some black paint.  Again these are possibly shown in another thread or you can wait until I get a chance to post a few pictures now that we know when your car was built

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1965 t5

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:35:21 AM »
Thanks again Jeff - That video is helpful.  If you have detailed pics, it would be more help too.