Author Topic: 70 Boss Clone  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Stangman68

70 Boss Clone
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
Looking for some good advice.  I have an opportunity to purchase a 70 Boss (Re-Body, using a Dynocorn complete body replacement).  The complete drivetrain and VIN tags, title  from original Boss are added to the car.  The car is done correctly, and nicely with mostly Ford parts to include NOS Boss fenders, hood, etc.  What would be a realistic value of this car?  Would it be more considered a restomod now. or just a re=body.??

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: 70 Boss Clone
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
I believe that some, or most States still consider VIN swapping illegal. I would check with the local authorities.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:49:41 AM »
 If the Dynacorn body came with a vin, then I'd certainly want the purchase records showing that vin and check on it's legality. If not, some states may consider it as parts replacement. Do your homework. BTW, can you tell it was a re-body? If not, the seller is, at the very least, a much more honest person than many people.

Offline Stangman68

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
I know it is a re-body.  I inspected the "new" Dynicorn body as it was being rebuilt, etc.  The owner is up front with the entire process.  I would be getting the Dynicorn Certificate/Title as well as the Boss title.  The original VIN windshield tag has been attached in the original location (I think in place of the Dynicorn one)????  The Dynicorn body also comes with a vin tag attached to the inner rocker panel.  That one has been removed.  All tags come with car.  I guess if he wasn't honest about the rebody, looking at the car, with the original Boss tag in place, and good/clear title; you wouldn't know.  Although experts that know date codes, correct spot welds, etc would detect it.  Still advice?  As long as everything is disclosed up front?  Value.  What about when/if i decide to resell later???

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
Looking for some good advice.  I have an opportunity to purchase a 70 Boss (Re-Body, using a Dynocorn complete body replacement).  The complete drivetrain and VIN tags, title  from original Boss are added to the car.  The car is done correctly, and nicely with mostly Ford parts to include NOS Boss fenders, hood, etc.  What would be a realistic value of this car?  Would it be more considered a restomod now. or just a re=body.??
Kind of a trick question because the states may look at it one way replacement part that tag was welded in as a replacement part but the Mustang crowd may look at it like a restomod . Although I have not looked at the 69 dynacorn  bodys to see any structure difference. But if the 69 dynacorn body is similar to the 67/68 fastback version where there are multiple differences  a restomod would be a more descriptive of the end result.  I don't think much of the combination with the Boss 302 .That should have been a genuine Mustang body used as a donor to come somewhat close like a replica or clone etc. . It is NOT anything that would be valued to be even half of a genuine Boss 302 value in similar condition IMO. With all of the poor workmanship and details I and others typically see come out of body shops I think it would be EXTRA ORDINARY to expect anything else but a ba$tardized version of the original when it is completed. The paint may look shiny and smooth to the uninformed but there is more to the total package then that.   I would also not expect ANY appreciation in the future like you would with a genuine version. If you get involved with a car like that I think it is safe to assume you will live to regret it IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »
Looking for some good advice.  I have an opportunity to purchase a 70 Boss (Re-Body, using a Dynocorn complete body replacement).  The complete drivetrain and VIN tags, title  from original Boss are added to the car.  The car is done correctly, and nicely with mostly Ford parts to include NOS Boss fenders, hood, etc.

Would agree this is not a clone but closer to a rebody even though  they didn't even use a real Mustang body to do the swap 

Last time I checked transferring VINS is still a federal crime

What would be a realistic value of this car? 
'
IMHO I would consider the value to be the total value at what the car would bring parted out (major parts that would sell quickly)  at best.

Would it be more considered a restomod now. or just a re=body.??

Of they had left the Ford VINS off then it might be a restomod IMHO. Like a street rod you could get a new state assigned VIN and use the car that way.  But since they cut off body VIN that came with the body even that may be impossible now.

Know a number of people who have not been able to register their Dynocorn bodys after a number of years and simply use license plates off of other cars to drive/use the cars. Hoping they never get stopped

Consider that if the car ever comes into question - standard practice is for law enforcement or the state to impound the car and you have to prove the car is what its support to be. They bring in their experts while you get to try and prove the opposite. With the way you have described the car - its going to be difficult to impossible IMHO.  Generally in the best situations these exchanges end with the car having all of the Ford VINs destroyed and replaced after a few months of exchanges. You might get off with no towing and storage fees.  Have been brought in a fair number of times into these situations.

IMHO some cars are just too much trouble and when the problems start then you become that guy others use as an example when the subject comes back up in the future.  I would choose not to be "that guy"

As far as "clear title"  well that often is a state thing. Now with collector cars there is the list of problem cars. With the internet and the world getting smaller there are plenty of people who collect, share and track VINs of cars that have been "rebuilt"  So even though the state doesn't know yet you may find after 6 months or 6 years the word gets out that this car is a reconstructed car or fake (what every one chooses to call it)  and the problems begin.  In these deals there are a fair number of people involved - prior owner, other possible buyers that didn't buy the wreck or rusty car, the builder, shop employees, people who saw the car in the shop during the build, other potential buyers of the finished product.......all with a possible story to tell others.

Bottom line would look for a real car - there are bargins out there if you wait
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)