Author Topic: 1967-68 Safety Convenience System - Application, Components, Wiring, Lenses and Bulbs  (Read 41326 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Marty : See attached. Also, if you're wondering, the Parking Brake Warning Light is covered separately by Part # 10A840. It's my opinion that the 12/01/66 change also reflected the change from backlit to white printed fonts.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline ruppstang

Our 11-04-66 Fuel lens is Blue.

Offline 196667Bob

Marty : Doesn't surprise me at all. Like I sais, one can't believe everything you read, especially in an MPC.  I would sure hope that anyone who can contradict our premise, would come "Fordward" and be heard.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline denonito

That is an interesting picture Bob. Twice they refer to a BELT Lens and Bezel. The correct legend is BELTS, right? with the "S"....a little sloppy FORD....
Does anyone know why Scott Drake used SEAT for the reproductions?
Did they get these mixed up with the '65 T-Bird lights or ?

Jeff

7R01A San Jose built, UEK1xx CA Black/Yellow

Offline 196667Bob

Jeff : Yes, you are correct; it should be "BELTS", with the "S". What makes this especially interesting is that it says "BELT" in not only the 1968 printing of the 1960-68 MPC, but again in the 1975 printing of the 1965-72 MPC. Good proofing, huh ?

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Fortunately, my car is apart for restoring, so I can show both ends in one shot. The example I have uses a black 12 or 14 gage wire (cannot see the inside copper diameter) that is 131 inches OVERALL length (measured from the outside end of the eye-connector to the outside end of the 3-opening round "bullet" style connector) I see no tracer color when I examine the wire closely. See attached photo for the wiring ends.

Richard

Since another member was searching for this wire, I bumped this thread to bring up the details of the early version wiring previously disscussed.

Keith, look at reply #27 of this thread. (page 2 near bottom of page)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:53:39 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

A few weeks ago, over on VMF, questions were posted in regard to the Lens colors and type of Bulbs used in the 1967 Safety Convenience Panels. After doing some research in my resources, I replied with the following information. Since we have a pretty good thread here already, I thought it would be good to add to it with what I found.

According to the 1960-68 MPC, which has revisions from 1967 and 1968. the PARK" lens was "RED" for both early and late 67's. The "BELT" was also "RED" both early and late. Prior to 12/01/66, the "FUEL" was "GREEN" and the "DOOR" was "BLUE". Between 12/01/66 and 5/15/67, the "FUEL" and "DOOR" were both "BLUE". After 5/15/67, all lenses were "RED".

As far as the bulbs go, I have heard separate comments that the "FUEL" and the "DOOR" both used "flasher bulbs". Hopefully, the following will “straighten” this out :

The 1967 MPC - the bulb section shows nothing for the Safety Convenience bulbs.

The 1960-68 MPC, however, gives a good history :

Low Fuel and Seat Belt Warning - Prior to 9/06/66 # 1891 (14 volt, elongated glass, 3.4 watts ); after 9/06/66, # 1445 (14.4 volt, round glass, 1.87 watt. I believe that this change reflects trying to reduce the melting of the lenses by using a higher voltage, less wattage bulb, plus "moving it slightly farther away from the lens by using the round bulb instead of the elongated one.

Door Ajar and Parking Brake Warning - No changes are shown during production year. Bulb # 256 (C4SZ-13466-A) is specified. This is a 14 volt, 0.27 amp (3.8 watt), elongated glass, flasher bulb. Apparently since it was a flasher and not on constantly, Ford felt there was no reason to go with the round glass version like they did for the Low Fuel and the Seat Belt Warning. If you are concerned, the round glass version is # 257. However, I would first check to be sure it fits into the opening provided for the elongated # 256 bulbs.

The 1965-72 MPC “mirrors” what is shown in the 1960-68 MPC.

I also decided to check other resources that I have, and here is what I found :

1) The Electrical Assembly Manual - No Listing of any Bulb #'s.

2) Shop Manual (First Printing - March 1967) - For "Warning Lights, Panel, or Lamp Kits", only notes Seat Belt Warning Light ( # 1891) and Parking Brake Warning Light (# 257).

3) Service Specification Booklet (First Printing - August 1966) - Same as Shop Manual except shows # 251 instead of # 257 for Parking Brake Warning Light (this is obviously a misprint as a # 251 is a "miniature flange base bulb", and would not fit).

4) Owners Manual (First Printing - August 1966 Printing) - Shows for "Safety Convenience Package", 6 (?) - # 1895 bulbs are required. I can understand the #1895 changing to a # 1891 (the # 1891 has less wattage, thus less chance of melting the lenses), but "6 required" ?

Personally, with all of the apparent confusion/ indecision, I would rely on what is shown in the 1960-68 MPC (as maybe they had figured it out by then) :

# 1445 for Seat Belt Warning and Low Fuel

# 256 for Door Ajar and Parking Brake Warning

Hope this has been "enlightening".

Bob

Here are sources for both bulbs. Two or three of us should get together and buy a box of each, then split them.
#1445  http://www.genesislamp.com/14milibu19.html
#256    http://www.genesislamp.com/02milibu11.html

-Keith

1967 eight barrel

Here are pictures of an unmolested 31,000 1967 coupe with the option. This is the one Donald Farr wrote an article about.
This vehicle has the long run solenoid to firewall feed. It is taped with the cloth/ black tar tape at 9-12" intervals to the headlamp/charging harness.
The clip on this vehicle is different than the C3SB-14A163-B clip. I am hoping to have pictures tomorrow. Here are the others I have. 11/66 SJ coupe 390 Deluxe interior vehicle with safety convenience group. I have seen the vehicle in person, but now have to rely on the owner in Florida for pictures.
I hope this helps others as well.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:57:12 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline ruppstang

As some are tight-lipped with information pertinent to the convenience group, here are pictures of an unmolested 33,000 1967 coupe with the option.

I hope this helps others, being some aren't willing to help.

What is that supposed to mean?  I sent you guys pictures and two emails. I never got any response from you Keith.

Offline Johno29

Hello — does anyone have pics on where exactly to mount the parking brake switch? I am new to posting, I hope this is the right place to ask... Thanks!
1967  C code convertible / San Jose

Offline 67gta289

Welcome to the site.  This is a perfect place to ask the question - it adds detail to the post to make it more complete.

Hope these pictures help.

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 196667Bob

Yes, Welcome ! To compliment John's pictures of actual installations, I am attaching a copy of the Installation Instructions (IS 2549) for the 1967 Mustang Accessory Parking Brake Warning Light as well as one for a Full Size Ford (IS 1832). While of course the wiring is different for the Safety Convenience Warning Light, the attachment to the Parking Brake Assembly is the same.

I have included the instructions for the Full Size Fords in order to show the differences in case someone is thinking of using this instead of the one especially for the Mustang. The main difference is that the switch was self-contained with the bracket (very similar to the 1965-66 Warning Light) instead of a separate nylon piece with a brass contact strip that had to have a hole drilled (if one was not present) in the Parking brake assembly and a sheet metal screw threaded into it. The full size Passenger car method had been used since 1959.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline Johno29

Thank you guys for responding to me. Sorry for my delay, I didnt see this until yesterday. I am still learning this blog-post -room stuff. 😎. The pics were awesome. I have everything up and working except for the low fuel relay. I have noted that it will be unreliable once I do get it installed, but I’m wondering if anyone has a pic or could tell me what I’m looking for to plug lead from harness into rear light connection. To make things more interesting, I have a 67 convertible and noticed in this pretty detailed thread that converts may run down right side and not left (driver) side. The harness I have seems to be set up to go down the driver side. I can extend connection to run down passengers side if need be. I do have the repop fuel sender with thermistor I purchased from WCCougar, and I have the 3-prong connector from sender to hook into tail lamp harness. Where can I find the connection near dash to connect to rear tail light? I hope My question makes sense. And again, thank you both very much for replying to me regarding brake light relay.  Regards, John
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:48:15 PM by Johno29 »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
... I have a 67 convertible and noticed in this pretty detailed thread that converts may run down right side and not left (driver) side. The harness I have seems to be set up to go down the driver side. I can extend connection to run down passengers side if need be. I do have the repop fuel sender with thermistor I purchased from WCCougar, and I have the 3-prong connector from sender to hook into tail lamp harness. Where can I find the connection near dash to connect to rear tail light? I hope My question makes sense. And again, thank you both very much for replying to me regarding brake light relay.  Regards, John

Convertibles in 68, possibly others in 68 also, run down the right side (my experience on 68's are only with 1 convertible example)

On 67's it is an integral part of the taillight harness and the connector is near the A-Pillar, next to other taillight connectors.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Johno29

Thank you Richard. I saw one bullet connector near A pillar area, is there a color of wire I should look for?  I am not at shop right now, but will poke around further near A pillar this weekend.

John