Author Topic: 69 San Jose Radiator to Hood Seal Clips  (Read 5981 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69 San Jose Radiator to Hood Seal Clips
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
Thought this has been discussed here but just can't seem to find the old thread. :( In any case I know we've discussed it on other boards over the years.

In 69 San Jose used a different retaining clip than the other two plants  to hold a wide rubber seal to the radiator support on specific models and with certain options. It was a small sheet metal sort of thing with sharp barbs to hold it in place.

They have a small dimple on one side in the middle of the strap. Sorry its hard to see in this close-up

Scott Halseth from NPD, today informed me that they have purchased a very small quantity of reproduction clips from a maker. Once these are gone they are not planning on making any so heads up. Here is his message 

They will be sold in a bag of 5 clips for $19.50.  Quantities are limited and they will not be re-made.  I have 38 kits available.

Purpose here is not to sell parts for Scott but to let forum members have a head start if they need these pieces. They have often been difficult to find when you need them or you often come up short of all you need for a project.

Hope this announcement helps some of the owners here

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: 69 San Jose Radiator to Hood Seal Clips
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »
This clip design must have caused a lot of ripped shirts and skin!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
This clip design must have caused a lot of ripped shirts and skin!

Luckily that the more aggressive edge is on the bottom of the clips one installed.  Second picture is inverted from how they end up They can tear up a figure or a palm pretty quickly trying to remove the original ones from an old seal :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
Latest ordering info from NPD is as follows (if yoru having problems ordering them)

Call sales and ask for 371141-SAK

Again not pushing sales for any particular vendor just trying to help members on something that is very limited
Jeff Speegle

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
$20 for 5 is really cheap so hopefully this isn't another case of you get what you pay for because that doesn't even pay to turn the lights on in the shop.
I bought 5 repros for $10 each which is what it purportedly cost to make them from the Comet forum, and here's the pics.
I know I started a thread on these clips, but I can't find it, maybe it was on the SAAC forum.
I searched my username but only a portion of my posts showed up, so since I can't search retrieve all my posts, here's the links to the
previous discussions that I could find:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4616.msg25810#msg25810
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=707.msg3569#msg3569
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=838.msg4278#msg4278
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
Is there any interest in having these clips made again? I might be able to do it if there's enough interest to justify making an investment. I'd also need to find an original clip to use as an engineering model.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
Is there any interest in having these clips made again? I might be able to do it if there's enough interest to justify making an investment. I'd also need to find an original clip to use as an engineering model.

Don't know for sure Scott - hopefully a survey of need will help. I get requests for these fairly often but in total that doesn't add up to allot of them.

Should be able to provide a couple for engineering purposes again if need be. May have some 71-73 ones also (different design) but not sure of the "demand" for those either
Jeff Speegle

Offline mason1958

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:45 AM »
Does anyone have any of these clips ?

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
PM sent with my source Mason
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline djburton

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »
I had those made.My SJ car had one left on it and could never find any.So...minimum of 200 pcs.No easy task and they definitely weren't cheap.I thought I could sell them to recover some of my money but eventually lost interest and they sat for a while.Contacted Scott at NPD and he bought all I had left.They are dead ringers and a quality piece.Got about 1/4 of my investment back... but my car has the clips!If NPD ever sells them all,I could have more made,but they won't be as cheap. ;)
   7Lscj,I hope you don't feel you got cheated.I can't believe NPD is selling them that cheap,since they have the market cornered.

Offline STAUBY38

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 08:51:31 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I recently found a link on Dead Nuts On website that is reproducing the San Jose clips for the rad support seal.  Here is the link if anyone is interested.  I just ordered.        https://www.deadnutson.com/radiator-core-support-seal-clip/

CJ
1969 MACH 1 390 4 SPD
SAN JOSE BUILD 3-28-69
ACAPULCO BLUE BEAUTY

1969 MACH 1 351 AUTO
SAN JOSE BUILD 4-17-69
BLACK JADE

2013 BOSS 302
RACE RED

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 10:47:51 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I recently found a link on Dead Nuts On website that is reproducing the San Jose clips for the rad support seal.  Here is the link if anyone is interested.  I just ordered.        https://www.deadnutson.com/radiator-core-support-seal-clip/

CJ

Wish his description was more correct but yes he has the small barbed clips. Wonder if these are from the batch that was done by another shop though really doesn't matter
Jeff Speegle

Offline STAUBY38

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 12:41:18 AM »
Not sure but I was surprised to find them.  I saw similar clips on ebay that were for a boss 429 NOS but they were not the same.  Close but you could see they were different.
1969 MACH 1 390 4 SPD
SAN JOSE BUILD 3-28-69
ACAPULCO BLUE BEAUTY

1969 MACH 1 351 AUTO
SAN JOSE BUILD 4-17-69
BLACK JADE

2013 BOSS 302
RACE RED

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 12:51:37 AM »
I saw similar clips on ebay that were for a boss 429 NOS but they were not the same.  Close but you could see they were different.

Yes there are later versions that are narrow or have a scalloped forward corners

As far as Dearborn cars - when the stapler wasn't working they used the electrical slips ash discussed and documented in another thread here.

Here is likely the longest thread with the most unrestored pictures in it showing Dearborn cars.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11627.msg170861#msg170861

One for the 70's

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4616.msg25751#msg25751

And one focused on 69 San Jose

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8811.msg178231#msg178231

Know/was told that one of the parts places had a 50 gallon drum of the San Jose versions made and selling all of these was a steep hill to climb so they may have wholeselled some to others. Just a guess
Jeff Speegle