Author Topic: Fan Clutch Restoring Suggestions  (Read 1513 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Fan Clutch Restoring Suggestions
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Looking for ideas on restoring a fan clutch.

I have found a few places online that do this service and I imagine there are several places doing it out there.

I am not above doing this myself if reasonable access to parts is available as well as techniques to avoiding pitfalls.

What are some of the better practices being followed these days?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline lancelot66

Re: Fan Clutch Restoring Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:01:28 PM »
Richard,
I've been waiting quite awhile to leave comment about this topic, and provide a solid recommendation "if "you decide to farm this out, rather than take it on yourself. This guy is not inexpensive but is phenominal with service, workmanship and results you'll get back. Not sure if you're after show quality or for a driver only:

http://www.pamperedcorvettes.com/Pampered_Corvettes/About.html

I did the research & went to a lot of trouble a few years ago to find the right 7-blade fan and clutch to go along with it, as they were both missing when I bought it originally in '87. Wish I would have taken a picture or two of our clutch when I got it back but it's a beautiful job and working GREAT in the car presently. His site's photos are an accurate representations of what you'll get back. Guy is really top notch all the way. Very comparable to Fred Ballard with his Fuel Pump restoration, if you know of him. Turn-around time depends on time of year, etc. (just like with most of these guys, as they get obviously very busy during car show season) but well worth the wait and a great option IMHO.

R/
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
Richard,
I've been waiting quite awhile to leave comment about this topic, and provide a solid recommendation "if "you decide to farm this out, rather than take it on yourself. This guy is not inexpensive but is phenominal with service, workmanship and results you'll get back. Not sure if you're after show quality or for a driver only:

http://www.pamperedcorvettes.com/Pampered_Corvettes/About.html

Thanks, yes I had been to his site before making this post. I liked his work, everything "great" does have it's cost, contrarily, everything "bargain" also has it's costs. One thing I always understand about cars and working on them...you get what you pay for. I do have good skills, so if I could "save" by learning how and doing it myself, I'd give it a whirl...If it requires things (tools/supplies) I'll never get my return of investment on, I'll then farm it out. I am willing to run a little risk to learn on my own things, but not usually on other people's cars. I've learned enough (teaching myself with my own car as a Guinea pig) to make a career out of cars. I don't think there is a "career future" in outfitting myself to do fan clutches if special tools are reqired though.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
Sounds like you've done a very thorough job thinking this through Richard. I had to go through all that too, as I really did want to tackle it myself in the beginning. Ended up stumbling over three different items I just couldn't figure out how to overcome, which were the uncrimping/crimping (face and body), injecting the right viscosity & amount of oil and then surfacing and plating the pieces before assembly. Figured the bearing would be an easier item, once found. Anyway, love doing whatever I can myself if there's an economical and prudent method to tackle it. Agree with you completely.
Good luck with whatever you decide nevertheless. It sure is satisfying to get the right one on the car and working & cooling like it did from the factory, let me just say that one to everyone out there, huh? Pretty cool thing...
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options