Author Topic: '67 deluxe door panel stainless outer trim fit  (Read 4126 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 deluxe door panel stainless outer trim fit
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
How was the outer stainless trim on '67 deluxe door panels attached.....Were there "tiny" screws in the small holes....just friction fit?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 deluxe door panel stainless outer trim fit
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »
I have seen them BOTH ways...The screws I have seen were very "flat" headed and very short.

My SJ built did not have the screws, but a replacement I found once did, I have no idea the assembly information on the replacement trim piece but my SJ built car is a 11/2/66 build date.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »
Thanks.....my '66 door panels had maybe 1 or 2 of the screws you describe, but the trim for my '67 panels have quite a few holes.  Unfortunately the trim doesn't want to stay in place very well, so I'll try the screws in each hole.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »
Thanks.....my '66 door panels had maybe 1 or 2 of the screws you describe, but the trim for my '67 panels have quite a few holes.  Unfortunately the trim doesn't want to stay in place very well, so I'll try the screws in each hole.

I found that if they won't pinch good without the screws, they can be tamped togerther using wood and a heavy hammer, while they are still off the panels. You might also punch-prick the backside of the trim with a sharp punch, backed up on a solid wood work bench or a couple of 4x4's layed out on the concrete (protecting the vinyl finish)

The screws are not required if you didn't have them before.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »
I have 5 or 6 sets, none with screws.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
I am skeptical that any 67 deluxe door panels came with screws to hold the trim on from the factory. I know that you have to trim the dickens out of repro panels to get the original trim to fit properly and my be the reason for screws on some.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
I have 5 or 6 sets, none with screws.
Same here.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
The only one I ever found with the screws holding the stainless trim on (one screw on each end of the stainless trim) was off a door I found at a junkard door rack in the mid-80's...the door looked to have been there on that rack for a number of years, 100% doubtful it could possibly be a reproduction.

As I also indicated, my originals did NOT have the screws, but I needed to replace both the door panels and one of the moldings, so I held onto that one good, water-damaged door panel I found in the 80's all these years, looking forward to the day I would find reproduction door panels to replace both. (I couldn't find good door panels for these in the So. Calif area I lived in during the 80's, not even reproductions. My door panels were shot from the Majave Desert heat, even before I bought the car in 1978)

Since my panels are currently off the car, I yook a look again at them this morning. The passengers deluxe door panel trim, known original to my build info, had 6 dimples securing the stainless trim to the original door panel (punch-pricked, without any screws) The replacement trim found on that door panel from the junkyard, had only 2 screws, as I mentioned.

When I assembled my reproduction door panels a while back, BOTH trims were installed WITHOUT any retainers because they fit so tightly onto the reproduction door panels.

I have to wonder if the original poster has original trim or reproduction stainless trim. I have heard the reproduction trim (as usual) has a horrible fit and look.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:33:52 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline socalgt

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »
My original '66 door panels had one screw each....very small, flat headed as mentioned...just one in each panel.

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »
Since my panels are currently off the car, I could look again at them this morning. The passengers deluxe door panel trim, known original to my build info, had 6 dimples securing the stainless trim to the original door panel (punch-pricked, without any screws) The replacement trim found on that door panel from the junkyard, had only 2 screws, as I mentioned.

In attachment 3 pictures of my door panels from my 67 FB
It looks that it is the same as which Richard discribes.
But here there are more dimples, 3x3 at the leading edges above and under, and only 1 at the lower corner.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline socalgt

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
Interesting pics....so, are the dimples made to secure the panel?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
Interesting pics....so, are the dimples made to secure the panel?

Yes

Sure some owners saw them and figured the screws were left out out or they thought they would be a big improvement
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline pagoda69

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »
Over the years I have seen many original 67 Deluxe Door panels. None had screws for the outer trim piece.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 05:55:06 PM »
I was looking to polish my outer trim but before I do that I was thinking about how these are re-installed.
The punch process embeds the stainless into the old cardboard but when re-fitting these it appears I have to flatten the punched in area. Not a lot of room to do that. I thought I could get a very narrow grinder wheel in there and just remove the old punch-ins and re-create a new punch-in right next to it.

Anyone have a guide on how they did it?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 07:12:28 PM »
I was looking to polish my outer trim but before I do that I was thinking about how these are re-installed.
The punch process embeds the stainless into the old cardboard but when re-fitting these it appears I have to flatten the punched in area. Not a lot of room to do that. I thought I could get a very narrow grinder wheel in there and just remove the old punch-ins and re-create a new punch-in right next to it.

Anyone have a guide on how they did it?
I found a rigid flat bar that I was able to use as a dolly, to straighten out the dimples, I did not try to "grind away" any material. As mentioned earlier, getting the original trim onto the reproduction door panels was a fight, the trim needed speed open a bit.
Richard Urch