Author Topic: Where did Dealer orders go in 1968?  (Read 943 times)

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
Where did Dealer orders go in 1968?
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »
Just curious, When a Northern California Dealer placed an order in 1968, ie. Sacramento Dealer ordering a GT/CS, which would have come out of San Jose, where did the order go, The factory? or did it go to a central office, then forwarded to the factory? Thanks.  Mike
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Where did Dealer orders go in 1968?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
Believe to the designated plant but cant be certain none of the managers I've talked with addressed that specific question - All I got was "We received the order...."
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Where did Dealer orders go in 1968?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Dealers handled more than Mustangs and most salesmen and some dealer management types did not know what plant built what car line. Orders were routed to a district office for review and possible scheduling, and then to Dearborn if that district found a potential backlog at a plant. Ford was flexible in scheduling by choice, they were in the business of selling cars and doing that efficiently. If the order was handled at a nearby assembly plant, the dealer got notification of the "scheduled" build date and many special order customers were notified of that plus an invitation to watch the process. That's what happened to me for my 69 Mustang Fastback at San Jose, but when I showed up the car was on the truck to the dealer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.