Author Topic: Sunday at National shows?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Epperstang

Sunday at National shows?
« on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »
I've noticed a large number of people leave early on Sunday.
Isn't it a requirement to stay the full day?
People are loading their trailers as early as 10 am on Sunday before the awards.
There were trucks and trailers in the middle of the show field on Sunday at Indy.
The parking lot looks like a ghost town on Sunday with just a small scattering of cars remaining.
Many don't even attend the awards and then expect to have their trophies mailed to them.
I am still getting calls from people who recently found out they had an award at last years Grand National but left early and still expect to get it. It costs a fortune to ship trophies. I shipped two to folks that said they'd reimburse us the cost, but have yet to receive any compensation.
At the Grand National last year there were even some who should have received special awards who didn't bother to stay.

If the rule says they have to attend both days, they should forfeit their award if they aren't there to receive it.
If MCA isn't holding to the rules, then change the awards to Sunday morning or Saturday evening and be done with it.

Something else - it is RUDE for those receiving their trophies to up and leave during the awards. Those receiving their awards in the later classes are left with a near empty audience. Maybe the sponsoring clubs can mix up the classes for awards sometimes. In every show I've attended our car is called first. I wouldn't mind waiting sometimes so that others aren't always called at the end.

J.

Offline FunStang65

• Drive and Enjoy!!! Mustang Living
Re: Sunday at National shows?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
     I fully agree with this sentiment. I have only been showing my K-Convertible for a little over a year now and already I am tired of the rudeness shown by people at the shows. Plan your day better and enjoy the whole experience. If you have to show and go, don't bring your car but come and enjoy the cars that are there and leave when you need to. If you are just out there to trophy hunt and expect everyone else to bend to your schedule and priorities, find something else to do and get a life.
     I got into showing my car because I liked the people I met and had fun learning about these cars from some great folks out there. The show is about the people and the cars. The awards are just a nice way of saying thanks and that your car was appreciated. Most people don't get a trophy at all if ever and they still bring their cars because of the people and the joy of being part of something great.
     I agree that there should be some type of penalty for being disruptive and rude. Maybe they should be barred from entering the next show and by all means, Don't Mail Their Trophy! They can come get it themselves if they want it. Give the next car down the list the trophy or if they were at the bottom of the awards list, just don't award it.
     Just my two cents worth.
65 Ivy Green K-Code Convertible
04' Gray GT Convertible

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »
The rules state that if you leave early, you forfeit any award.  That rule needs to be enforced.  No car is to leave before the awards ceremony, unless it has permission of the head judges.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
Agreed that we need follow our own rules no matter how many whine. If we don't follow them how can we expect others to. Maybe we can award the trophy's but retain them up on the table till the end of the award so we don't have to award others over the sound of numerous tow rigs firing up in the back ground
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66kgt

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
It's not just Sunday! I thought the number of cars that left early on Saturday at Raleigh was totally uncalled for. Either enforce the rules or throw them away...

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »
I agree, it was very disturbing.  This is mainly a communication problem.  Entrants need to know, absolutely, that they cannot move their car during show hours.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:28:02 AM »
From what I've seen I don't think the MCA or any other organization can stop this rude behavior, I see it happen at basicly all the car shows that I attend-even the Chevy ones!-we go to a real nice All-Ford show each January at Silver Springs here in Florida and its a just for fun type show that draws nearly 2,000 vehicles, they do stuff like best of show awards, but folks are driving out of the park while people are walking around and while the awards ceremony is going on on Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday only 1/2 of the cars are left- if the MCA can't put a stop to this type of thing at National shows who can?

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
Do the Awards saturday night.  Have the show friday and Saturday!  Sunday is a boring day, no one gets out of bed.  You might get more participation because people would rather take a friday off instead of taking a monday off if they got a long ride home with a trailer.  Plus in the AACA if you don't want to go to the award ceremony they will send you your award for 10 bucks... The AACA does the awards saturday night plus another bonus they do is keep track of your points +3 to the AACA. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:34:40 AM by buckeyeresto »

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
We just need to make sure the host club enforces the rule that is in place.  Some clubs do, and some don't read or follow the show guidelines.  Sunday usually is the only day I get to look at the cars that I didn't judge and to visit any of the vendors.  I find it the best day of all at the show.

I'm giving a judging seminar on Saturday for the National show coming up later this month in Los Angeles.  That will be one thing I will be stressing to the club.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
this is gonna be a hot topic. my thinking is that there is absolutely no way to prevent folks from loading & leaving early on sundays. it just cannot be done period. there are some very stubborn competitors out there who will do what they want no matter what the show rules are. not presenting them with an award would not be right in my opinion, after all they have done to prepare for the car for the show season. i would suggest that the awards be no later than 11am on sunday morning with no requirement for cars to be on site. i know both sides of the story, it is nice to see vendors and such on sundays especially if you have worked all day saturday judging. i do agree about the rudeness comments made earlier. especially at the past two shows. some folks were loading and making a lot of noise during the awards and they should have been spoken to by an MCA official at that time. IF and only IF a competitor needs to leave early they MUST have written permission from BOTH head judges. just my 2 cents for the day.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:09:24 PM »
this is gonna be a hot topic. my thinking is that there is absolutely no way to prevent folks from loading & leaving early on sundays. it just cannot be done period. there are some very stubborn competitors out there who will do what they want no matter what the show rules are. not presenting them with an award would not be right in my opinion, after all they have done to prepare for the car for the show season..................

We'll have to agree to disagree - sorry I don't think this should be handled like public schools. Its not about what you did to prepare or how hard you tried. Its about doing and accomplishing what is required of you. IF there are rules or standards you need to meet or exceed them bottom line.

That is the only way to be fair to everyone - not the few of the ones that want it their way  ;)

Just one opinion of course.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
I agree with Jeff.  Make the rules known and enforce them.  Leave early and forfeit all and any awards.

Speaking for myself, I typically must travel two to four days to reach a National show.  If I can keep my car in place on Sunday (after arriving on Thursday), anyone can.